New loco from Accucraft US!!!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Details courtesy of Accucraft UK, for those who are not subscribers already...

Accucraft Baldwin Mabel 0-6-0T Live Steam​

Accucraft US is proud to announce our next freelance narrow gauge steam locomotive in 1:20.3 scale, 45mm gauge. The model is based on a 3ft gauge Baldwin style locomotive and will be available in both kit form and ready to run. Joining the ranks of the classic Ruby, Dora and Forney 0-4-4, we hope the Mabel brings the joy of live steam to both novices and experienced collectors alike. Special thanks to Marc Horovitz for our concept drawings. Due for delivery Q4 2021.

Colour Options:

Black with white lining
Green with yellow lining
Maroon with yellow lining
Blue with white lining

Price: £1,250 Kit. £1,495 RTR

Add on options:

Pre-installed Radio Control: $200
Rear truck: $60
Pilot truck (Requires extended frames): $100

Specifications:

1:20.3 scale, 45mm gauge
Butane fired
Water Gauge with blowdown valve
Pressure gauge included
Piston valve gear
Goodall valve included
Safety valve under steam dome
Knuckle couplers
Radio control ready (Pre-installed options available)
Boiler check valve for future water car add-on
Blind middle driver for tighter curves
Min. Radius TBD

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Not bad - not a bad price either :clap: :clap:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not impressed, looks like nothing I have ever seen but so close to something that could be right.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not impressed, looks like nothing I have ever seen but so close to something that could be right.
Possibly, that is why you can purchase the extra bits?

No less believeable than a Silver Lady, or the like..

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks nice, hopefully it'll be a success.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
They do say that it is freelance. The colour scheme doesn't help.

It's another 'could have' from the Baldwin works .......... :nod::nod:

I'm not sure why, but freelance locos are cheaper to model than prototypes - probably because they can take liberties to reduce manufacture costs that can't be taken when accurately modelling a 1:1 prototype.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag

The clue is in the wording - 'Accucraft US is proud to announce our next freelance narrow gauge steam locomotive'. I have to say that, IMO, it's a great basis for a working narrow-gauge short-line loco - totally wasted in anything other than plain black to start off. You can dumb it down and load it up with cr- accessories from there on. Supposing that Ozark are still sending stuff to UK, that is. They have managed to successfully ignore my last three orders for stuff, which is a great pity, as there is very little here in UK to match their huge range of bits and pieces in the common-user scales.

It would also look better, to my eye, as a 2-6-2, which is doable for an extra $160 - not a great amount in the scheme of things, and sure to make a vast improvement. Can somebody here do a Photoshop fit-up?

Last edited:

AusrailQLD

Registered
10 Jul 2020
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sort of looks like the Australian Puffing Billy locomotives, minus the front and rear pony trucks.
And extended side tanks.

Reactions: 1 user

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The clue is in the wording - 'Accucraft US is proud to announce our next freelance narrow gauge steam locomotive'. I have to say that, IMO, it's a great basis for a working narrow-gauge short-line loco - totally wasted in anything other than plain black to start off. You can dumb it down and load it up with cr- accessories from there on. Supposing that Ozark are still sending stuff to UK, that is. They have managed to successfully ignore my last three orders for stuff, which is a great pity, as there is very little here in UK to match their huge range of bits and pieces in the common-user scales.

It would also look better, to my eye, as a 2-6-2, which is doable for an extra $160 - not a great amount in the scheme of things, and sure to make a vast improvement. Can somebody here do a Photoshop fit-up?
This guy (Bertram Heyn) has most of the Ozark detailing range and also Trackside.
He also comes over for some of the shows (when they are happening)

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sort of looks like the Australian Puffing Billy locomotives, minus the front and rear pony trucks.
And extended side tanks.

Ahah!! For an extra $160 you can HAVE your front and rear pony truck! Worth thinking about. eh?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Hm this is the loco you may be thinking of, done bay Accy in the past. Have worked hard to get the two together and ther is some kind of similarity that may be acceptable for the budhet price.
F9F5FD1C-71BD-4970-94D3-AC37801D35ED.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
It's actually growing on me, looks simple and with no bits to fall off

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm this is the loco you may be thinking of, done bay Accy in the past. Have worked hard to get the two together and ther is some kind of similarity that may be acceptable for the budhet price.
View attachment 279931

That's it - the NA class, I think. A beautiful model by Accucraft, sponsored by Gordon at Argyll Locomotive works in OZ for around Three very large ones, I recall, and photographed by my wife when she went to stay with some RAF friends of ours in Melbourne a few years back.

1612210820089.png

Trainman 864

Registered
24 Sep 2015
Best answers
Country flag
That's it - the NA class, I think. A beautiful model by Accucraft, sponsored by Gordon at Argyll Locomotive works in OZ for around Three very large ones, I recall, and photographed by my wife when she went to stay with some RAF friends of ours in Melbourne a few years back.

View attachment 279938
1613742043206.png
Yes, that's definately it - What do you call 'Three very large ones'? - I seem to recall I paid just over 2k pounds for mine.

BTW - Kudos to your wife for having her photo chosen for Argyle's home page ....
:clap:

funandtrains

Registered
20 Sep 2011
Croydon, Surrey
Best answers
Country flag
The boiler looks like the same diameter of Ruby, it would be better if they upped the size to the same diameter of the UK locos.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks. Here is an drawing by David Fletcher of the Baldwin NA class as used on the 30" narrow gauge in Australia along side the Baldwin Lyn so you can get an idea regarding the size difference for reference. The NA class model is quite large.
The Accucraft NA class was around the AU$3,400 mark for live steam version and a few hundred less for the electric version. I suspect the pricing structure was different in the UK though but yeah, about £2,000 or so would be right recalling the exchange rate back then.

Na1-Lyn-Colour2.jpg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks. Here is an drawing by David Fletcher of the Baldwin NA class as used on the 30" narrow gauge in Australia along side the Baldwin Lyn so you can get an idea regarding the size difference for reference. The NA class model is quite large.
The Accucraft NA class was around the AU$3,400 mark for live steam version and a few hundred less for the electric version. I suspect the pricing structure was different in the UK though but yeah, about £2,000 or so would be right recalling the exchange rate back then.

Na1-Lyn-Colour2.jpg
£2000?

I wish.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Tac. Your 20% VAT is a kick in the guts. If it was ever produced again it would be quite a bit more, I'm sure, :confused:

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I guess that living down there near Gordon Watson, whose brainchild it was, made it a lot easy to get hold of - no shipping from Oz to Europe for a start. I was once minded to get ahold of the Class 38, just for the craic, but by the time it landed here in UK, adding all the import duties and taxes, it would have been almost as expensive as the real thing.

As an example - I bought my Accucraft Royal Hudson direct from Cliff Luscher in Union City - Accucraft US - and since I ordered it the day it was announced, those of us lucky enough to be able to take advantage of that offer benefited by around $500 or so off the MRSP.

By the time I'd collected it from the Parcel Force centre at Coventry airport and paid the taxes, all that financial advantage had gone, and it amounted to paying the MRSP.

True, that was the US price, so I was still winning, but not by as much as I'd hoped.