New generation single bladed tramway points......

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
whatlep said:
tramcar trev said:
Fairlie said:
Is that Chicago?
It would have to be I suspect, elevated railway, 3 rail,,, reeks of Chicago....
Definitely Chicago. Presumably tower 18 junction at the NW corner of The Loop.
Ahhhhhh see that why you're a moderator, such knowledge......
One wonders if there is a ground water problem there outher wise I'd have thought a "subway" would have been the go rather than the "El"

Nope, theres a subway line down there as well, and a bewildering but now abandoned network of supply tunnels under the city. Look up "Chicago Tunnel Company"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Tunnel_Company

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Madman said:
tramcar trev said:
I'm in my back yard and I can hear what I thought was someone playing with the points on the tramway, there was a hollow metalic clonking sound very similar to the noise when the spring loaded blades "clonk" back after a flange has run thru them...
After ensuring that there were no ghosts present I discovered it was actually a FROG making the noise. Investigations lead me to discover that it was a "Pobblebonk" of which there are numerous Tadpoles in the pond of introspective introspection.......
So here in after the sound of tramway point blades snapping back into place will be technically refered to as Pobblebonk, not clunk, thunk, thonk or clonk.... In a sentence: the points closed with a loud Pobblebonk....

Here's the said frog performing live on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ivv7pQkWQ

Really? You can actually hear the point rail plonking or klonking or whatever, back into place. :happy:
I just got state of the art hearing aids, thanks to Uncle Sam, and I still can't hear that sound. :rofl:
Hmmmm hearing aids, I was issued a set but don't wear them as I can hear everything I dont want to hear but not what I want to hear... They dont help at all if your in a crowded noisy place with the person you want to hear in front of you but you can hear women behind you discussing all manner of female problem from " He wanted to go 3 times' to "Clive likes hot curry" while SWMBO is in front of you mumbling about something and gets dirty when you don't answer... She says I have selective hearing which may well be the case, after 40 years married I dont have to listen I KNOW what she is going to say...

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
Madman said:
tramcar trev said:
I'm in my back yard and I can hear what I thought was someone playing with the points on the tramway, there was a hollow metalic clonking sound very similar to the noise when the spring loaded blades "clonk" back after a flange has run thru them...
After ensuring that there were no ghosts present I discovered it was actually a FROG making the noise. Investigations lead me to discover that it was a "Pobblebonk" of which there are numerous Tadpoles in the pond of introspective introspection.......
So here in after the sound of tramway point blades snapping back into place will be technically refered to as Pobblebonk, not clunk, thunk, thonk or clonk.... In a sentence: the points closed with a loud Pobblebonk....

Here's the said frog performing live on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ivv7pQkWQ

Really? You can actually hear the point rail plonking or klonking or whatever, back into place. :happy:
I just got state of the art hearing aids, thanks to Uncle Sam, and I still can't hear that sound. :rofl:
Hmmmm hearing aids, I was issued a set but don't wear them as I can hear everything I dont want to hear but not what I want to hear... They dont help at all if your in a crowded noisy place with the person you want to hear in front of you but you can hear women behind you discussing all manner of female problem from " He wanted to go 3 times' to "Clive likes hot curry" while SWMBO is in front of you mumbling about something and gets dirty when you don't answer... She says I have selective hearing which may well be the case, after 40 years married I dont have to listen I KNOW what she is going to say...

I started another topic in the coffee lounge, so that we wouldn't get off topic here.