New generation single bladed tramway points......

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
...a little quieter and more comfortable for passengers.
Yes, that's the idea, BUT it's definitely noticeable.
Even in present-day Amsterdam there's certainly a jolt as the flange runs over the raised bed.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Dtsteam said:
Another inspirational piece of work, Trevor. Well done.

On the last note, there was a fixed frog at Blackpool Pleasure Beach loop which had been chewed up so much that the flanges had cut a new one, and left a little sliver of metal behind.

There used to be some terrible track in Blackpool. Remember when they had the running lines on the front ribbon welded? Didn't help the points though!

I used to collect tram track and I had a chunk (about 3 cwt) of Bradford track from a crossover. It had been nickel welded to build it up - must have been several pounds of weld. Now the only piece of track I have is a cross section, supplied by Dorman, Long & Co, to Leeds in 1936 (and its nickel plated).

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
MRail said:
trammayo said:
...a little quieter and more comfortable for passengers.
Yes, that's the idea, BUT it's definitely noticeable.
Even in present-day Amsterdam there's certainly a jolt as the flange runs over the raised bed.

I don't remember any appreciable difference in Leeds as maintenance was pretty good and maybe the "run in" was longer. Mind you I was only 11 when they finished.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
There used to be some terrible track in Blackpool. Remember when they had the running lines on the front ribbon welded? Didn't help the points though!
I do - I reckon it put more corrugations in than it took out.
Now they've got proper track its a bit of an eye opener - our firm hired the Western Train for a trip round the lights last month, and it wasn't until the Tower that it dawned on me what was wrong - no crashing, banging, grinding or swaying !

[DRIFT OFF]

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I just discovered these points at Brisbane Tramway Museum. Now I normally have to stay well clear of venues such as this as I just become emotionally overwrought. This solution is better than sliced bread and canned cider for my limited space to utilise a 3 rail depot building, presto 3 way points. I'm gunna have a crack at making a set....

23617d5e18254500902a0d692aa84b88.jpg

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting points Trev. Look like they've had a hard life. It looks like a two-stage operation?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
I'm gunna have a crack at making a set....
What only one?
Go on be a devil. I rekon you'd only need eight sets and twelve crossings to make the classic double track 90 degree junction with straight on, right and left turns for all roads!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
tramcar trev said:
I'm gunna have a crack at making a set....
What only one?
Go on be a devil. I rekon you'd only need eight sets and twelve crossings to make the classic double track 90 degree junction with straight on, right and left turns for all roads!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That'd be a Grand (Junction) then:rofl::rofl:

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
the classic double track 90 degree junction with straight on, right and left turns for all roads!
Classically known as a Grand Union!

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I think I'll leave the Grand Unions to Chas and Cammila..., far to complex for me, the overhead would be impossible... But then there may be money to be made to let persons see it........ perhaps a TV series even a movie. I'll speak to Max Markson, I'll need an agent....

0ada912fe2d647dab4f6c411e45bff43.jpg
7c71bc00ae0c453e8ae19ee50d24e434.jpg

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
just realiased this will need a 3 way overhead frog...... OH Steweth.... that will tax the machining skills.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
trammayo said:
Dtsteam said:
Another inspirational piece of work, Trevor. Well done.

On the last note, there was a fixed frog at Blackpool Pleasure Beach loop which had been chewed up so much that the flanges had cut a new one, and left a little sliver of metal behind.

I used to collect tram track and I had a chunk (about 3 cwt) of Bradford track from a crossover. It had been nickel welded to build it up - must have been several pounds of weld. Now the only piece of track I have is a cross section, supplied by Dorman, Long & Co, to Leeds in 1936 (and its nickel plated).
Interesting.... One day I was driving along some street in Sydney in Leichart and there are roadworks in progress, I get closer to the action and there are several short is lenghts of genuine Sydney tram track piled up with rubble.... in the middle of the chaos I stopped the car jumped out and asked the nearest person in a HIVIZ vest if they wanted it, "Take as much as you want" he says so I shoved a few bits in the car ignoring the hooting horns of those around me......
I took them to work and put them under the power hacksaw and cut them into 1/2" slices, put them through the grit blaster a quick spray with clear laquer and sold them as "unique" paperweights. I kept a bit about a foot long which is brilliant as a small anvil

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Fairlie said:
Is that Chicago?
It would have to be I suspect, elevated railway, 3 rail,,, reeks of Chicago....

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
tramcar trev said:
Fairlie said:
Is that Chicago?

Definitely Chicago. Presumably tower 18 junction at the NW corner of The Loop.

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
whatlep said:
tramcar trev said:
Fairlie said:
Is that Chicago?

Ahhhhhh see that why you're a moderator, such knowledge......
One wonders if there is a ground water problem there outher wise I'd have thought a "subway" would have been the go rather than the "El"

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
whatlep said:
tramcar trev said:
Fairlie said:
Is that Chicago?

Ahhhhhh see that why you're a moderator, such knowledge......
One wonders if there is a ground water problem there outher wise I'd have thought a "subway" would have been the go rather than the "El"
I suspect elevated is cheaper and quicker to construct. Most US cities didn't have the space constraints of places like London which, I think has the largest underground network, and it's still growing!

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
I'm in my back yard and I can hear what I thought was someone playing with the points on the tramway, there was a hollow metalic clonking sound very similar to the noise when the spring loaded blades "clonk" back after a flange has run thru them...
After ensuring that there were no ghosts present I discovered it was actually a FROG making the noise. Investigations lead me to discover that it was a "Pobblebonk" of which there are numerous Tadpoles in the pond of introspective introspection.......
So here in after the sound of tramway point blades snapping back into place will be technically refered to as Pobblebonk, not clunk, thunk, thonk or clonk.... In a sentence: the points closed with a loud Pobblebonk....

Here's the said frog performing live on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ivv7pQkWQ

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Now, there's a word I am going to have to work into the conversation sometime in the near future -

"Now my dear, come over by the pond for your chance to pobblebonk"

"Do not oppose me or it will be pobblebonk on the tramway tracks for you, my girl!"

"Pobblebonking opposed by strict sabbatarian sect"

So many more......

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
I'm in my back yard and I can hear what I thought was someone playing with the points on the tramway, there was a hollow metalic clonking sound very similar to the noise when the spring loaded blades "clonk" back after a flange has run thru them...
After ensuring that there were no ghosts present I discovered it was actually a FROG making the noise. Investigations lead me to discover that it was a "Pobblebonk" of which there are numerous Tadpoles in the pond of introspective introspection.......
So here in after the sound of tramway point blades snapping back into place will be technically refered to as Pobblebonk, not clunk, thunk, thonk or clonk.... In a sentence: the points closed with a loud Pobblebonk....

Here's the said frog performing live on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ivv7pQkWQ

Really? You can actually hear the point rail plonking or klonking or whatever, back into place. :happy:
I just got state of the art hearing aids, thanks to Uncle Sam, and I still can't hear that sound. :rofl: