NEW Dash 9 from Bachmann - announcement!!!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
New from Bachmann Industries US - a Dash 9 locomotive, re-issue of the version from much-lamented Aristocraft, stateside price is a whopping $1399 - but expect to see large discounts...

1626963132479.png

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That was announced months ago in the USA, it was in the catalog. Has been on the dealers sites for months... Just waiting as usual for them to appear.

I believe it was announced near Christmas.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
That was announced months ago in the USA, it was in the catalog. Has been on the dealers sites for months... Just waiting as usual for them to appear.

Obviously living up to its name? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
About four times the size of any loco my line could accommodate :worried:
I do have my eye on the Piko 25-tonner.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag

Things take a long time to arrive over here. By now I'm sure you know about St Helen's blowing up?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The re-release of the Dash 9 by Bachmann was discussed quite some time ago.

My opinion is that it's almost detrimental to the hobby. How so? Because newcomers get impressed by the big loco and then find no only will it barely run on 8 foot diameter curves, when you actually try to couple a freight car to it, that car is normally derailed on anything less than a 10 foot diameter curve. What a solo loco can tolerate is not the same as how it performs pulling a train.

The rumor is/was they saw the inflated prices of used ones on eBay and figured they could make a quick buck. I wish they would have re-issued the GP40, or their best ever diesel, the SD45.

One man's opinion who actually owns a layout that can run a Dash 9.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I totally agree with you about the sheer size of these things, after all, at one time I had five of them - just for fun. Just the one now, with Aristo's add-on sound system, controlled from a hand-held panel between tx-er and track. I still have four SD45s though - the two imaginary war-bonnets, a CPR golden beaver and a Shawmut Car Shops custom-paint NP.

The GP40 is a popular US loco here, as are the many colour schemes of the GP38 - a VERY fine loco - mine is in war-pumpkin scheme, my all-time favourite.

There are many layouts over here in lil'ol' England that can run a train of fifty or more cars - our own at our ride-on track is but one - the Cathedral Mountain track on these pages is another, and I can easily find another twenty without trying too hard. One railway I know of, but have never visited, has a track that takes seventeen minutes to go round, surely big enough for most folks... anywhere.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
One railway I know of, but have never visited, has a track that takes seventeen minutes to go round, surely big enough for most folks... anywhere.
Most 16mm scale steamers will just manage one and a bit circuits of that!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Most 16mm scale steamers will just manage one and a bit circuits of that!
When visiting with the late and much-missed John Squire up near Grantham my Accucraft Shay required three water top-ups to make a single circuit...but with its extra-sized DSB gas tank, fitted by Rod shortly after I got it, it made it all the way around without a hitch.