New coal mine complex

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
This is going to be a multi building complex before we're finished, so bear with me.

The first building is a remake of the old mine tipple. I made a new base to allow it to serve 2 tracks. -- If it looks sort of like a Piko house on stilts, it is.
P3260001.jpg

I painted it dark ultra flat brown. The roof is a satin ivy green... It looked OK, but not quite what I wanted
P3260004.jpg

Out came the coffee stirrers.... MUCH better - or it will be after I build the bony trestle and give it another coat of paint.

P3270001.jpg

The tipple will connect to the next building on a lower level via a long covered incline. Unfortunately, I sheared off the drive in my B&D rotary tool, so I'll have to buy a new one first....

Mousey

Registered
1 Nov 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Thats looking really good.

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Building #2, the mine car dumper--
P3280001.jpg

OK, so the building is empty. It's where the dumper would be if I actually built one... This shack will connect to the other end of the above mentioned covered incline. It will have two 32mm tracks entering the front (loaded cars in, empties out) -- Except the live track will actually exit the rear and into another building. It was too wet today to paint, but this building will also be the same brown/green combo as the tipple just as soon as it quits raining.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Mik said:
This is going to be a multi building complex before we're finished, so bear with me.

The first building is a remake of the old mine tipple. I made a new base to allow it to serve 2 tracks. -- If it looks sort of like a Piko house on stilts, it is.
P3260001.jpg

I painted it dark ultra flat brown. The roof is a satin ivy green... It looked OK, but not quite what I wanted
P3260004.jpg

Out came the coffee stirrers.... MUCH better - or it will be after I build the bony trestle and give it another coat of paint.

P3270001.jpg

The tipple will connect to the next building on a lower level via a long covered incline. Unfortunately, I sheared off the drive in my B&D rotary tool, so I'll have to buy a new one first....

it tht piko saloon?......

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Really looking forward to seeing how this turns out- not enough grotty industry modelled in G scale in my opinion!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Moving right along... today's project was the machinery shed. The back half houses the steam engines that drive the ventilator for the mine, and the conveyor to the tipple. The front half is a maintenance building... In reality all it will actually do is hide part of the tram loop.I need to install a railing and 2 bay doors, but I haven't yet decided what color the doors should be.
P3290001.jpg

P3290002.jpg

Our complex so far...
P3290003.jpg

One more major structure to make. A boiler house. Plus a few sheds and, of course, the mine entrances...

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Well done Mik, they look great

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Thank you for the kind words.

The auto loader is tempting, except it violates my KISS principle or modeling. The simpler things are mechanically, the less there is to go wrong.

I admit, 'operations' just aren't my thing. Turns playtime into too much like work. I like building stuff, then putting on some big band music and watching them run.

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
That looks really impressive - great addition.

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I started to lay out the boiler house today.... Geez, but it's going to have to be HUGE to fit an entire half circle of the e-train track inside! (I forgot that the diameter was 77cm! (almost 30") ) We're talking about a single structure 35" long x 17" deep x 12" tall (less smokestacks) - for a scale 70 feet long!.... Just about twice as large as anything I've attempted to build from acrylic so far!

Here is the pic of the boiler house at Iselin, Pa. again, to give you an idea.
indiselin4.gif

I'll add pics of my efforts later this evening....

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Pix, as promised...

The boiler house at Florence, Pa., Jefferson Co. ca 1905

jefflorence1910.gif

First was the floor. This took 4 pieces just to make it big enough!....

P4130001.jpg

back corner...
P4130002.jpg

2 pieces aren't quite long enough, I'll need to splice another bit on... I'm attaching the scale house to the side of the boiler house to help hide the loop.

P4130003.jpg

Never try to paint with an almost empty rattle can.... Good thing this is just the base coat!
P4130006.jpg

The paint and glue needs to harden a bit more (and outgas!) before I start on the next phase of construction

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mik, been watching this thread with interest - all looks great by the way! Quite a large complex (even in G scale). What glue do you use for fixing the wood to the plastic?
Mick

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Today I made 2 of the adits. One is actually a drain pipe to prevent rainwater from flooding the mine area. The other is just for looks... I may add another adit, and I may frame them all with timber.... I'm not sure yet.
P4200002.jpg

Another view...
P4200001.jpg

I just couldn't resist roughing out the tram trackage, just to make sure everything would fit. There will be a couple more turnouts and a crossover in the final version. But I have to pour a bit of concrete first.
P4200003.jpg

P4200004.jpg

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
The arrival of more 32mm track yesterday, and a break in the rain today allowed me to make some progress. I had to relocate one of the adits to allow for the sectional track. I think it all looks fairly proper and functional.

P4250001.jpg

P4250002.jpg

P4250003.jpg

Rockwork or jigsaw puzzle?
P4250004.jpg

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Wellllllll, I guess I've been away from this project longer than I thought.

Today I FINALLY set the tipple and made the conveyor (a section of square plastic downspout - fast n' easy).
P7110002.jpg

P7110003.jpg

P7110004.jpg

Still need to make a boney pile. under the chute
P7110005.jpg

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
OUTSTANDING! way to go! what a great series of pix, and the final product is really something to be proud of. this not only gives you a sense of individual accomplishment, it really inspires the rest of us to get out there and make some big, soot-covered G scale industry!

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Five Star model; great stuff!!! Will the mine tramway work, too? What sort of stock will it have?