New beginnings

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I understand what you're saying, assuming "nine in the loco" is a typo for "none on the loco". And yes, you are right that every wagon only has 1 hook.

My observation so far is that these uncouplings only occur when the wagons run with the hook forward. Also, they only occur in certain spots and I suspect a tilt in the track may be part of the issue.
So, further tests are in order. Thanks for your suggestion.
The other issue that will make your line more susceptible to unwanted auto-uncoupling is the fact that the stock is four wheeled (not bogie) and fairly long. Any irregularity in the track is likely to be exaggerated at the coupling.

I appreciate your earlier comments on cost, but converting your wagons to bogie stock, and using metal wheels will have your trains running sweetly all day - trust me, I am the forum expert on badly laid track; I have nearly 300 ft of it :devil::devil:

However, I also appreciate that the 4w stock that you have may provide the right image for a tramway operation - a dilemma ;)

A cheaper alternative could be to change the couplings to link and pin :nerd:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Ah couplings!

I'm in the process of converting my 3062 coach fleet with magnetic couplings from Malc's Models.

The first and end coaches in the rake of 7 coaches, will have a LGB hook and loop on one end though, as per the photo.

I have hooks on all my LGB couplings, firstly for extra security of connection, but also because my line has a reversing loop. So single hooked stock is banned from my railway....

20240313_172342.jpg

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I appreciate all comments from ye experienced folks. Stuff to keep in mind, very useful.
Nevertheless, it seems I have already tackled the uncoupling problem, at least for the immediate future.

Today I did a lot of test runs, to see what new data I might find.
At the end of that session I ran the exact same train that the uncouplings occurred with, in the same orientation, in the same order, in the same direction, at the same speed..... but with the other loco.
Lo and behold, not a hint of an attempt to uncouple.

I think what happens is this: while the Otto runs far better now that it's weighted, it still acts a bit haphazardly. It stalls on a micro level. It sends micro-shocks through the train. The trucks, coupler loops, and hooks, all react to this and have an increased chance of ending up in strange positions. Thus, more chance of stray uncouplings.

The other loco, the orange one, runs absolutely steadily on its Playmobil motor block. So the whole train behaves better.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm I wonder if your Otto is correctly picking up on all wheels? A quick way to test this out if you have a small electric meter, put on continuity test then ensure that all wheels and skates are connected on one side electrically then check the other side.

On a small new railway your track should be pretty clean with fishplates working as expected, but time oxidation and dirt will take a toll eventually. Thus if you do not have an LGB track Block ref 50040, one is very recommended to keep your track clean. In time fishplates/rail joiners may start to give issues here you have a couple of option, bonding wire soldered to rail either side of each join or joiner replacement with Massoth Clamps. Other types are available but I find the screw attachment of the Massoth types works better for me, the effect of gentle tightening of the screws wears off some oxidation thus saving cleaning up the joint. There are many examples of how to remove the fishplates to fit RailClamps, some seriously destructive others work in a non destructive way. YouTube vids will show you a few.

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
This morning I've placed some overhead masts. It makes for a very different look!

20240314_105404.jpg

And now you can see why I left one wooden post longer than the others. I'm not wasting that broken mast.

20240314_105652.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I like the chain parapet BTW - very original thinking :clap::clap::clap:

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
We began stringing the overhead wire.

20240314_135620.jpg

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I like the chain parapet BTW - very original thinking :clap::clap::clap:
Yes looks rather good, have been making protection methods after Russell bounced of the path the other day. A fair bit had been done using old fencing panel components but may think about that option for another few yards remaining to do.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes looks rather good, have been making protection methods after Russell bounced of the path the other day. A fair bit had been done using old fencing panel components but may think about that option for another few yards remaining to do.
What I like is the innovative and fascinating blend of 1:1 and 1:25(ish)

Monty

Registered
16 Apr 2018
Springwood, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
20230215_105502part.jpg
After a members live steam loco had a nasty fall from a great height [bent frame et al] we installed a polycarbonate [?] fence supported by stainless steel uprights around most of our club track. Seems to be handling the sun et all down under OK; needed a bit of a clean up after a particularly wet year but doesn't hide the track from visitors and provides good safety for expensive locomotives.
Ian

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
I do like that home made overhead maintenance trolley.

Very rustic....
Mostly from wooden coffee stirrers found at fuel stations. They're still free, unlike the cups.

Last edited:

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What I like is the innovative and fascinating blend of 1:1 and 1:25(ish)
I'd like to continue that theme. Never pretend that I (1.73m) am not part of this idealised world.
(Cue philosophical ramifications :nerd:)

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I'd like to continue that theme. Never pretend that I (1.73m) am not part of this idealised world.
(Cue philosophical ramifications.)
Years ago in one of the Railway Modelling magazines, there was an article on somebody's early garden railway (not LGB) where he declared that he took the impressionist approach :clap::clap::clap:

It works for me >:)

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Mostly from wooden coffee stirrers found at fuel stations. They're still free, unlike the cups.
Paying for your drinks cups? Is that an anti-litter rule? If so I wish we'd do it over here

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Paying for your drinks cups? Is that an anti-litter rule?
To be precise, it's an anti-waste rule. The main goal is to make us all aware of how much stuff gets used only once. So if I buy any hard plastic package in the supermarket, that package is now separately priced on the shelf tag and separately mentioned on the receipt. On the coffee machine in a fuel station, the cup is separately mentioned and priced in the menu. Simultaneously, reusable cups and salad-bowls etc. are being promoted.

Does it help? Will people become more aware of how much we throw away, and move into less waste-prone choices? As for my country, I think the Dutch will prove sensitive to the logic of it and will try to adopt this new way of thinking. I too have bought a reusable coffee cup and use it for those on-the-road coffees.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
To be precise, it's an anti-waste rule. The main goal is to make us all aware of how much stuff gets used only once. So if I buy any hard plastic package in the supermarket, that package is now separately priced on the shelf tag and separately mentioned on the receipt. On the coffee machine in a fuel station, the cup is separately mentioned and priced in the menu. Simultaneously, reusable cups and salad-bowls etc. are being promoted.

Does it help? Will people become more aware of how much we throw away, and move into less waste-prone choices? As for my country, I think the Dutch will prove sensitive to the logic of it and will try to adopt this new way of thinking. I too have bought a reusable coffee cup and use it for those on-the-road coffees.
Hm sounds like too sensible a system and will never catch on over here due to the ‘not invented here syndrome’ a well known English disease that is pretty well incurable so I gather.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Here in Oxfordshire, in the UK, we have four waste bins, one for recyclable waste, one for non-recyclable, one for green garden waste (for which there is an annual charge) and one for food waste. Woe betide you if you put stuff in the wrong bin as the refuse collectors will refuse to empty it. I believe some parts of the UK have as many as seven different waste bins. Where my son lives in Eastern Tennessee, in the US, householders pay the refuse collectors of their choice, so not everyone's bin get emptied by the same company. Everything goes into one bin. If you want to recycle you waste, you have to pay extra, therefore nobody does, as there's no incentive. Every time he picks up his order from the grocery supermarket, it comes in dozens of plastic carrier bags, sometime one item per bag.

David