New Bachmann 4-6-0

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, guys. I was just browsing the latest Bachmann Trains catalog,and naturally I checked out the the listings for their G Scale line up.
What a shock! They have pretty much doubled the suggested retail price. I believe that the previous version was listed for $499.00 MSPR.
The MSRP for the new version is $999.00.
I don't know how many of these units that they expect to sell at that price,but one thing is certain for me is that they have pushed the price to where it's totally unaffordable for me as I have better things to spend my money on than spending $700-$1,000.00 on a single loco.
Even used on ebay, I suspect that the prices will be high.
Here's a link that will take you directly to the page on the Bachmann website:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Is the price increase due to the loco being DCC & sound fitted?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
MSRP has never been the "street price" so when they start selling, and the pricing gets competitive, then compare.

As Paul has stated, the new loco will have a socket, but does not come with a DCC decoder.

The siderods are all metal, and a new tender and more exterior detail.

Also, the generation 6 gearbox, which can only be bought in a newer loco.

Anyway, we shall see... the K27 had a MSRP 10 years ago if I remember right.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Disappointingly, Bachmann have a track record of doing the wrong thing at the wrong time (excluding Thomas) but especially when it comes to locos and even more so with Fn3

Quite honestly, the motor / gearbox construction was woefully behind the times, and the Annie, Connie and both Moguls should have had a flywheel motor like the later Fn3 locos.

The large scale market has suffered over the years with manufacturers - LGB included - simply making 00/H0 stuff a little bigger, but without really thinking through the engineering challenges.

OK - bitch over .............

,,,,,,,,,, but agreed, the RRP looks a bit ambitious.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
I'm thinking that we'll see prices ranging all over the spectrum. I wouldn't be surprised to find on some websites for anywhere between $399 - $499.00. That would still be way pricey for a Bachman 4-6-0. I was pretty happy when I got a brand new V6 Annie last year for $225.00 including the shipping.
Maybe we'll get lucky on the price, but I sincerely doubt it.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Makes BRASS tempting...

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It now finally has metal gears and as already stated street prices will probably be around half that. I bought enough of the old chassis/gearboxes to go to the moon and back instead.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Actually the previous version of the loco has all metal gears also.

The changes are really some detail work, the new tender and the socket.

Greg

OK. I did think it had already come out with metal gears but then also heard it was no longer being produced. It's difficult to get excited about it after so many of the old versions were made. I guess this one will last though especially the Chistmas one because it would never be seen on my track. :giggle:

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
My Version 6 Anniversary Edition 4-6-0 has metal gears. So much better than the nylon ones!
If I had the money, that one would be the one I would get DCC and better sound installed in.
I just hope that the real prices of the new version will be reasonable. I think that Al Kramer on Ebay,and/or Trainworld ,will offer them at a deep discount.
Just have to wait and see.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
In fact, Trainworld.com is taking orders for it. Price is $574.99. Plus shipping. They are taking back orders right now.
Not bad, but still a lot more than a brand new Annie cost me back in 2018.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
You usually have to wait until saturation after the retailers get their sales for the discount dealers to get a good buying price for Bachmann to clear their stock. I suspect that Bachmann no longer produce as much stock like they used to so we will have to wait to find the sweet price.

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah. I can see how they make make only a relatively limited production run of these new 4-6-0's.Bachmann has been whining about how soft the model train market currently is. We could be in for a long wait until the prices lower enough to make them affordable.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Is the price increase due to the loco being DCC & sound fitted?
The linked add says DCC and Sound Ready so not fitted.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah. I can see how they make make only a relatively limited production run of these new 4-6-0's.Bachmann has been whining about how soft the model train market currently is. We could be in for a long wait until the prices lower enough to make them affordable.

Not only is is less likely there will be a huge pile of non moving inventory in the Bachmann warehouse once the market is saturated but it also costs more per unit to manufacture when doing smaller job lots at the factory.
True, I think the bargain days are over. Shipping is more expensive and some Governments have their fingers in Ebay as sales tax collectors on imports for small purchases. Worsening exchange rates too. Ah forget it! :(

RkyGriz

Registered
13 Feb 2019
Silver Springs, Nevada
Best answers
Country flag
Yup. It's ridiculous that Ebay is now collecting sales tax on all sales . They're doing sellers dirty ,as they are adding the sales tax to the total amount of the sale , and then sending the total, complete with the sales tax, to Paypal.
Paypal then charges fees on the entire amount collected, therefore the seller is losing even more money on Paypal fees.
Ebay the collects the sales tax back after that.
I sold an Xbox One video game on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. They did exactly what I described . 10% for Ebay. 10% on the amount paid through Paypal, including the sales tax.
That's not right,nor fair,and in my opinion, both Ebay and Paypal should be sued over it. It should also be illegal to collect selling fees on sales tax.
A seller shouldn't have to a pay 10% fee on a government mandated sales tax that is collected by Ebay. Or anyone else.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
It is normal practise if I sell an item through a VAT registered trader in the UK on a commision basis, say 15% of the realised price, then the trader will add 20% VAT based on the value of the commision as a total that I will have to pay them. Is that what Ebay are doing ? Max

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
It makes sense that eBay is finally charging sales tax, it was a loophole for a long time, and was unfair to brick and mortar stores that paid sales tax.

The thing that seems unfair is that Paypal is charging fees on the whole amount, when it should be charging fees based on the cost without taxes.

But that is a somewhat naive / unrealistic expectation... Paypal is charging fees on what the customer will bear, so I posit that if they calculated fees on the price without tax, they would just charge a higher percentage.

This whole thing has nothing to do with what is right or just, it's business, Paypal making the most money it can for the bottom line, and the eternal balance/rebalance of fees and losing/gaining customers.

It's only about the bottom line.

Greg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
For comparison, the latest Fn3 2-6-0 Spectrum Mogul is RRP $1,299.00. It has more complex details, like the working valve gear.
Interestingly, the Bachmann eStore [which uses an old pic of the Industrial 2-6-0 as its large scale icon] says it is the "4-6-0 with New Tender". Doesn't suggest it has too many new details. Let's hope the tender has smaller rivets!

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
For comparison, the latest Fn3 2-6-0 Spectrum Mogul is RRP $1,299.00. It has more complex details, like the working valve gear.
Interestingly, the Bachmann eStore [which uses an old pic of the Industrial 2-6-0 as its large scale icon] says it is the "4-6-0 with New Tender". Doesn't suggest it has too many new details.

Fred. The original Bachmann 2-6-0 had working Stephenson valve gear. Some of the new versions now also have cross head pumps too, specifically Emma Nevada and Glenbrook.
The new Bachmann 4-6-0 all have working Walschaert valve gear, where as the older Anniversary version had both working Walschaert with some models having nonexistent 'Stephenson' valve gear.

Old 4-6-0 version chassis with nonresistant valve gear below.

iu

Last edited: