New Acquisition

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a used Bachmann trolley from a seller on Ebay. It has a new motor block.....yippee ! I immediately set about batteryizing it with a G Scale Graphics "Enhanced Critter Control".

Here's some pics and a video. The last photo is of one of the minuscule screws that hold the brush assemblies in place inside the motor block. Who in their right mind can do the job of installing these things, all day long. Not to mention that in order to insert or remove the screw, the screwdriver is at an angle to the screw !

IMG_6455.jpgIMG_6456.jpgIMG_6457.jpgIMG_6458.jpgIMG_6462.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
That is one tiny screw, either that or you've got very big fingers! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
upload_2018-6-20_9-59-54.jpeg

Makes life
th

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I purchased a used Bachmann trolley from a seller on Ebay. It has a new motor block.....yippee ! I immediately set about batteryizing it with a G Scale Graphics "Enhanced Critter Control".

Here's some pics and a video. The last photo is of one of the minuscule screws that hold the brush assemblies in place inside the motor block. Who in their right mind can do the job of installing these things, all day long. Not to mention that in order to insert or remove the screw, the screwdriver is at an angle to the screw !

View attachment 239262View attachment 239263View attachment 239264View attachment 239265View attachment 239266
Nice conversion, I tried a couple of Bachman Tram Power Units in a Battery Powered Box Motor and they would not run in a satisfactory way at all, so sold them on using USA Bogies instead.

Can we have a bit more detail of what you have done please, not familiar with the G Graphics kit.

There appear to be 3 boards to this conversion?
- Roof Big one Controller
- Roof Small one Light Connection
- Chassis Reciever Unit and the Red Plug Power for Power Supply

Am I correct? What sort of Battery did you use and where did you place it please? Probably a pack of AA's 6-8 of them?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nice conversion, I tried a couple of Bachman Tram Power Units in a Battery Powered Box Motor and they would not run in a satisfactory way at all, so sold them on using USA Bogies instead.

Can we have a bit more detail of what you have done please, not familiar with the G Graphics kit.

There appear to be 3 boards to this conversion?
- Roof Big one Controller
- Roof Small one Light Connection
- Chassis Reciever Unit and the Red Plug Power for Power Supply

Am I correct? What sort of Battery did you use and where did you place it please? Probably a pack of AA's 6-8 of them?

If I try to explain the system, you'll be more confused than I am. So here it is
.....straight-from-the-horses-mouth.jpg

First link is the home page

https://www.gscalegraphics.net

Second link is the Enhanced Critter Control page

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/store/p14/Enhanced_Critter_Control.html

Third link is the PDF of the operation and installation page

https://www.gscalegraphics.net/uploads/2/5/7/7/25776635/enhanced_manual_d.pdf

The large PCB that is mounted to the underside of the roof is the main board for the ECC. The small board, also mounted to the underside of the roof, near the end is the start/stop/speed control rotary switch. The board mounted to the underside of the chassis is the Battery Conversion Module. The red female socket is the charging jack. When you visit G Scale Graphic's site, take a look at the page that shows the battery conversion modules. He has some that include a charging jack as part of the BCM. He uses the round TV type jacks. I started out with those little red male/female type connectors and don't want to change at this point. The battery I used, and which I use in most of my locos and trailing power cars is a 14.8 volt Li-on protected battery. I buy them from All Battery dot com.

http://www.all-battery.com/universa...forli-ionli-polymerbatterypack148v4cells.aspx

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user