justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hot sand can help, but your pipe will be to hot to handle.
In the best case scenario with 65C you will manage. worst case it must be 80C
Before bending take in consideration that there is a "memory" in the material, so bent it a little bit more than you want.

But why not take the playwood pieces cut them up into 5cm pieces width of a full lenght of that sheet.(244cm)
you can easy bend them.

Btw for those kind of curves, why dont you get a string for you desired curve, place a spike in the grass, attach the string to it and at the other end a pencil?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have made up an R3 corner template to help with bends & also on the back i am using 50mm plastic pipe to support the track bed & will hopefully use this to bend the pipe with some hot sand inside. "We will see"

View attachment 310152.
View attachment 310153
Chris, I don't want to throw too big a spanner in the works at this point, but OSB board doesn't have a good reputation for durability outside. Painting it will help, but we need to remember that it is made up of timber particles glued in random positions, then cut. Timber absorbs a significantly higher proportion of moisture through its end grain, and the random nature of the grain in OSB makes it difficult to fully protect. Cresosote, or Wicks' Creocote would help (or any oil-base preservative that will soak in) but I would look for a synthetic board, as marine ply is prohibitively expensive.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, I don't want to throw too big a spanner in the works at this point, but OSB board doesn't have a good reputation for durability outside. Painting it will help, but we need to remember that it is made up of timber particles glued in random positions, then cut. Timber absorbs a significantly higher proportion of moisture through its end grain, and the random nature of the grain in OSB makes it difficult to fully protect. Cresosote, or Wicks' Creocote would help (or any oil-base preservative that will soak in) but I would look for a synthetic board, as marine ply is prohibitively expensive.
Laugh! That's just my template for laying on the ground & marking up, i am using the back as a template/form to bend the tube. My aim is to not have any wood on the layout.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hot sand can help, but your pipe will be to hot to handle.
In the best case scenario with 65C you will manage. worst case it must be 80C
Before bending take in consideration that there is a "memory" in the material, so bent it a little bit more than you want.

But why not take the playwood pieces cut them up into 5cm pieces width of a full lenght of that sheet.(244cm)
you can easy bend them.

Btw for those kind of curves, why dont you get a string for you desired curve, place a spike in the grass, attach the string to it and at the other end a pencil?
I have some good welding gloves & i am not married, so i can use the oven for the sand. ;)

Eeyore.Boater

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Stafford
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I have some good welding gloves & i am not married, so i can use the oven for the sand. ;)
I've just spent far too long looking for the Norfolk joke in that !
Very interesting approach, I look forward to the next instalment.

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Laugh! That's just my template for laying on the ground & marking up, i am using the back as a template/form to bend the tube. My aim is to not have any wood on the layout.
Doh! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

ByngGiraud

Registered
13 Jun 2021
Baden-Baden, Germany
Best answers
Country flag
I have some flat planking that i want to make a raised track corner from, for an R3 & R1 bend/curve. I assume an 8, 10, or 12 sided would work for the, with the 12 being a smoother curve. Now an R1 has a 600mm radius & an R3 is 1175mm from point to centre of track. Would you know what length C or D should be & what degree to set the chop saw at for A & B ??. Thanks. "I think its 150d for 12 sided. but wasn't sure on length of C or D to get the right 1/2 curricle diameter.

View attachment 309997

Thank you! It has been over 60 years since I slept through a trigonometry class as school. You mention a half circle. A half circle has 180 deg. and LGB R1 track has a radius of 600mm. 1 section of track is 310.583 mm long at the center of the track. A SAS (Side Angle Side) triangle calculator can easily be found on your browser. We have the 2 sides (600mm) and using 30 deg. (1/6 of a semicircle), the calculator will give you the 3rd side (track section center length of 310.583). To find the angle of the cut you need, 180 deg. minus the 30 angle you have and you have 150 deg. (the total of the remaining angles). Your cut is 1/2 that, 75 deg. each cut. Perhaps, using a 36 deg radius would give you 5 sections of planking (1/5 of 180) which would stagger the joints with 72 deg. cuts. Get the calculator and try all the variables (longer radius). Also, a +/- 5, radius outside and inside track measurements would give you the plank lengths. Play with the calculator.

ByngGiraud

Registered
13 Jun 2021
Baden-Baden, Germany
Best answers
Country flag
Oops! That woud be. +/- 25 mm. Better to make the first cut and measure the length down the center of your plank based on the calculated 3rd side of the triangle