navigator & rechargable batteries

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
I have put rechargable batteries in my navigator and switched on the charging function.
However,
1, It does not seem to charge them very well although it says they are charged,
and
2, if I leave the navigator connected to the 1200Z when all switched off, the batteries seem to go flat again.

Is this something anyone else has found?

Thanks

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Rechargeable batteries do not seem to charge very well in the Navigator. Dont know why. Rechargeables do have an annoying habit of discharging themselves (quite quickly) especially when more than a year or so old.
Have to say I use ordinary batteries and they seem to last for ages and I use the Navigator a lot- maybe 20 hours a week.

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Stokers.
The batteries are new, got specially for the new navigator. I have charged them now using a charger and will see how long they last.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It might have something to do with voltage.
Ordinary batteries are about 1.5V but rechargeables are about 1.2V. Maybe when they drop off just a bit they go below the requirements of the Navigator.
Just a guess.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i use rechargeable batteries in the navs, but i use the charger that came with the batteries:clap:4 sets off batteries, 2 sets chargeing, 2 sets in use

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The Navigator will only charge the bateries when teathered to the central station and the central station is powered up.

Duffy, stop taunting me!

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I would think that the batteries would discharge if left to the central station when it is off. When off, the station probably has some sort of resistive load that discharges the batteries. I always recharge batteries in the proper charger and don't rely on what they are used in to perform a proper charge.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
The Navigator will only charge the bateries when teathered to the central station and the central station is powered up.

Duffy, stop taunting me!

Who? me, with the two navs? :D:rofl::rofl::rofl: