Nasty Surprise

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Went to get a new controller yesterday. The LGB 5amp throttle, at £164. This wasn't a problem, as i needed a new controller, as my 1amp starter one, cannot cope with larger locomotives. I thought this was not too bad a price, but i also thought it came ready to use, with a plug attatched etc. Turns out i now need a 5amp transformer to power it too. So at £150 it will of cost me £300+ for analouge opperation. I do need it so cant really complain, but............... £164 or similar for a controller with no electrics what so ever. Come on.................. OWCH!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, there are a lot of electrics inside that box.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well if it makes you feel any better
i not only have the controller (-the 6 amp singalmans hut that works ac and converts it to dc)-but also the rather pricey power unit which you now need

purchased mine about two or three years ago for about 150 US each-before things went so high

they are great units
simple to use and operate-powerful and silent, and very easy to connect and disconnect if need

i think in the long run you may find these to be a very good value
i think these are top quality units -

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I agree good units had three for many years to power my railway until I bought the Blue Streak for more power.

LittleRedTrain

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ash Vale, UK
Best answers
It's worth keeping an eye on the second hand sales and even evilBay
I had a (signalbox) controller from a member on here for about £60, and purchased a transformer for £80ish from eBay.
Unlike locos, it doesn't really matter if they've been bashed around a bit, as long as they still do the job.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
duncan1_9_8_4 said:
Went to get a new controller yesterday. The LGB 5amp throttle, at £164. This wasn't a problem, as i needed a new controller, as my 1amp starter one, cannot cope with larger locomotives. I thought this was not too bad a price, but i also thought it came ready to use, with a plug attatched etc. Turns out i now need a 5amp transformer to power it too. So at £150 it will of cost me £300+ for analouge opperation. I do need it so cant really complain, but............... £164 or similar for a controller with no electrics what so ever. Come on.................. OWCH!

Well, caveat emptor ("may the buyer be aware") and all that. Though it's too late for this instance, it's worth checking specifications in the database at: http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_produktdatenbank/index.html

You should be able to get a 5amp transformer for under GBP100 with patience. Mine was GBP85 on UK Ebay. They crop up there and on German EBay frequently. There are two 50110s on the latter at the moment, though neither will accept Paypal. If you need one this minute, GRS in Princes Risborough have at least one on sale at GBP99 (plus postage).

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Or build your own supply for MUCH less as dad and now I have done for the past 50 years.

My current (pun intended) is a 16v 5 amp ancient Stancor transformer (around $15) a 10 amp bridge from Radio Shack (around $5) a small capacitor to smooth things out (forget the specs exactly, but well under $1) some wire and a cord...and a plastic box to keep it all in.

16V AC will give you approx 25V DC once rectified. (VAC / 0.707 = VDC)

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know much about :GB but surely any power supply can be used to power the throttle. It probabaly requires a simple 18v 5 amp feed. I use a 5 amp computer power supply fromn Maplins to power my TE. That only costs circa £40. See http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module?ModuleNo=43515

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
I don't know much about :GB but surely any power supply can be used to power the throttle. It probabaly requires a simple 18v 5 amp feed. I use a 5 amp computer power supply fromn Maplins to power my TE. That only costs circa £40. See http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module?ModuleNo=43515

Sounds good to me Chris.....the throttle accepts AC or DC so good to go.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
you tend to get what you payied for in life.
if you buy the lgb one you know it will last a lifetime.. and have a resale value if you ever want to sell it.. of course there are dear/cheaper items about

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
I have a signal box controller that has a intermittent fault if any one fancies buying it for spares or repair. The dial has a mind of its own . £20.00

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
you tend to get what you payied for in life. if you buy the lgb one you know it will last a lifetime.. and have a resale value if you ever want to sell it.. of course there are dear/cheaper items about

Must say this sounds like blind loyalty to a brand - especially based on what Steve has said in the next post.

So far as power supplies are concerned a laptop power supply from Maplins is going to be dsesigned to be in use for long periods each day. I've had the one I bought for six years now - it outlasted the laptop and it copes with amp hungry USAT locos better than I could possibly have expected.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Chris M said:
you tend to get what you payied for in life. if you buy the lgb one you know it will last a lifetime.. and have a resale value if you ever want to sell it.. of course there are dear/cheaper items about

Must say this sounds like blind loyalty to a brand - especially based on what Steve has said in the next post.

So far as power supplies are concerned a laptop power supply from Maplins is going to be dsesigned to be in use for long periods each day. I've had the one I bought for six years now - it outlasted the laptop and it copes with amp hungry USAT locos better than I could possibly have expected.

Any brand will have it's failures.
My first ever laptop.....a Sony......broke its cooling fan in the first week.
I bought Sony because it had a good name but I found cheap HP lappies last the distance better.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Chris M said:

To be fair Chris, while Maplins goods are usually of good quality in my experience, the customer reviews on the item you referenced are not overwhelming. Mike's point about resale value is also well worth remembering.

This Maplin item has been commented upon favourably on GSC before and is on offer at GBP70, rather than the usual GBP85 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module?ModuleNo=219129 One down side: it is significantly bulkier than the average transformer box

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
You definitely get what you pay for.
It says 6A on the LGB box & it will give 6A for as long as you want. There is another make available which says 2.5 A on the box. Not a hope. You will be lucky to get half that continuously. I opened one up & the transformer is only 25VA.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
GRS offer a Gaugemaster Transformer that maybe cheaper.

Agree with what has been said the LGB (made by massotth?) units are very good.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
GRS offer a Gaugemaster Transformer that maybe cheaper.
As I said above, you get what you pay for!!!!!!

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Mike,

I missed your post, and did say what a good unit the LGB one is.

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All , if it is any help - i also run analogue - i now use a 5 amp helmsman controller/with built in transformer -it also comes with a remote cable control - might be worth a look ??? about £160 - mine runs all the larger lgb type locos with 2 motors --regards Dave

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Quality, that is why if you build your own, you know what you have put into it. My next step will be both volt and ammeters.

Oh, and I did forget one bit, even tho my throttle (Aristo TE) has its own fuse, I have added one on the output, "just in case".