Nasty Surprise

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
whizzo said:
Hi All , if it is any help - i also run analogue - i now use a 5 amp helmsman controller/with built in transformer -it also comes with a remote cable control - might be worth a look ??? about £160 - mine runs all the larger lgb type locos with 2 motors --regards Dave

And if I remember correctly Helmsman controllers come with a lifetime no quibble guaranty!!

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have found that the Maplin power supply does supply the power it claims to. If it can push two USAT locos then it will certainly push two LGB as the USAT locos tend to be rather more power hungry. So far as my personal experience is concerned at £40 it is an excellent buy for providing 18 or 24 volts dc at 5 amps. There is no need to pay more unless you need more than 5 amps.

In my personal experience the transformer to avoid is the gaugemaster 5 amp unit. The one I tried would not provide sufficient power for one USAT loco. This was about five years ago so maybe they have improved.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I am going to get the lgb transformer, to keep it a standard set up, i was just shocked to find out that the controller part only was so much. im sure it will work well, but there isn't much to show for nearly two hundred quid.

MR SPOCK

railways politics Human rights loud music
25 Oct 2009
Cornwall uk
cornwallrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
duncan1_9_8_4 said:
I am going to get the lgb transformer, to keep it a standard set up, i was just shocked to find out that the controller part only was so much. im sure it will work well, but there isn't much to show for nearly two hundred quid.

[align=center]If it is any consolation to you, the set up I have the loco modules and conversions are around £100 each, I use car batteries for power so that saves a bit and a solar panel for a charger, you can now run any loco that you have or visits , and your cost is now static, if you divide the amount you have paid by the number of loco's you have it brings it back into balance,

regards pete
[/align]

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Chris M said:
In my personal experience the transformer to avoid is the gaugemaster 5 amp unit. The one I tried would not provide sufficient power for one USAT loco. This was about five years ago so maybe they have improved.

Chris (or any one that knows) are the USAT Loco's that power hungry, i have been offered one at a really good price and am/was very tempted

But - I have 2 gaugemaster 5 amp unit's at the moment,
Both of which happily run (on their own) - 2 shays, a heisler and the LGB track cleaner (through 3 separate TE's) at the same time.
Admittedly the TE with the 2 shays on will trip out occasionally on a hot day, after about 45 mins continuous running (with 7/8 log wagons on each).

If my GM power unit's won't run a USAT then it's not worth up grading, just to run one Loco
both units are at least 4 years old the one i know for def 7 years old

Any one got any thought's - would be extremely grateful for any info as the seller want's an answer by Monday evening

(Apologies for the thread drift duncan 1_9_8_4), but your experience re the controller has really opened my eye's to the cost of LGB compared to other options, Thanks

b7bb4117a2e741648c14e5526275dd4d.jpg

06b656f0b9a34f41abd73efbe5598a1c.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
mmts said:
whizzo said:
Hi All , if it is any help - i also run analogue - i now use a 5 amp helmsman controller/with built in transformer -it also comes with a remote cable control - might be worth a look ??? about £160 - mine runs all the larger lgb type locos with 2 motors --regards Dave

And if I remember correctly Helmsman controllers come with a lifetime no quibble guaranty!!

I went the Helmsman route in the end - dead easy, no worries :clap::clap:

They're superior to the Guagemaster units, and I remember Geoff Helmsman saying to me that he had to design a slight delay into the overcurrent cut-out for the g scale units, so that they cut out when needed, but didn't trip unnecessarily.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
no problem at all matey. good to see the different opinions. despite how i come across, i love the lgb electrics, they are simple to use and robust, but even so i was a bit shocked to learn that the £164 piece of kit (controller) then needed another £150 investment before it could do anything. after all, its a controller with no potential for stand alone opperation. and however i look at it, im not getting much for such a high price. i suppose this should be expected though, but when compared to other things............... a dishwasher, a simple cooker, a hoover, a upvc window, a blue ray dvd player, or even a small plasma tv.......... all available for around the same price. and i do appologise for seamingly moaning all the time about lgb priceing, but when put into perspective......... it is no wonder the company or marklin or whoever are on their knees. Our country is destetute as it is, our country is on its knees, no wonder such hobby firms are struggling. my car insurance has just jumped £190 up too, accross the board, and i have umptten years no claims...... such things are making me consider wether or not a garden railway is worth the money. something needs to be done to keep the enthusiasts when all other things are taken into account.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
From the off I have used an Aristocraft Crest Elite 13 amp triple voltage transformer that has been left out over winter in the control 'bunker' and just keeps on working driving three TE receivers or even LGB 5 amp controllers and was real good value at £120 new. Not much more in cost now and 13 amps gives you plenty of headroom to run big stuff, on separate sections if required, as well as DC accessories etc.

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Rob s said:
Chris M said:

Chris (or any one that knows) are the USAT Loco's that power hungry, i have been offered one at a really good price and am/was very tempted

But - I have 2 gaugemaster 5 amp unit's at the moment,
Both of which happily run (on their own) - 2 shays, a heisler and the LGB track cleaner (through 3 separate TE's) at the same time.
Admittedly the TE with the 2 shays on will trip out occasionally on a hot day, after about 45 mins continuous running (with 7/8 log wagons on each).

If my GM power unit's won't run a USAT then it's not worth up grading, just to run one Loco
both units are at least 4 years old the one i know for def 7 years old

Any one got any thought's - would be extremely grateful for any info as the seller want's an answer by Monday evening

(Apologies for the thread drift duncan 1_9_8_4), but your experience re the controller has really opened my eye's to the cost of LGB compared to other options, Thanks

images

images

This thing about power hungry USAT locos is a fallacy.
Yes!
If you stall them they draw quite a lot of current, most likely more than any LGB or other make
but running they certainly are'nt power mad.

For instance.....
I run my Ski train with two PAs and a PB plus seven very heavy USA coaches, overall on my 2.5% grades the maximum load is 8Amps.Thats 8Amps spread across six motors, in my book thats 1.3A/motor at a load most people will never encounter. On the flat its never more than 1Amp/motor with the seven coaches.

As Mike beavercreek I went with the Crest multi output switching PSU, excellent piece of kit.
It will push 15Amps at 18Volts, much more than even I need.

psu.jpg

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have a USAT GP38, quite a big loco by my standards, and it runs fine with my little LGB 1amp starter set controller on quite a large outdoor layout. The problems i have are with my Aristo FA1, it wont run well on 1amp hehehe

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Duncan
Not sure if your FA1 is the older or newer variety. The older ones were a lot lighter in weight. But the older Aristo motor blocks did tend to need a lot more power to even begin to move. USAT blocks are pretty efficient and also fairly bullet proof and will also take a large stall current or 'catastrophe' current and blow fuses or even damage parts of points as the metal heats up. The feedwires from the wheel or slider pickups can also melt/burn up if a stall or short occurs so having the full 10 amps from a TE receiver before the fuse blows can definitely cause a problem.

Because of my gradients and running triple/quadruple headers with lights and sounds, that 10 amps soon gets gobbled up so unless I have a short string of cars with maybe just two locos I have to let the whole amount of juice down the wires and just hope nothin' goes awry!:rolleyes:

The motors seem to be fine after any problems they cause which is a good thing I suppose!

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Strange, I have none of these problems with onboard batteries with Airwire and Locolinc.
:D
Dons steel helmet and takes cover.........................

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Rod Fearnley said:
Strange, I have none of these problems with onboard batteries with Airwire and Locolinc.
:D
Dons steel helmet and takes cover.........................

Rod do you need any Locolink stuff? I have some receiver's and a control unit, a point controller that are just sitting on the shelf yours for a few bucks + postage?

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
One more thought

Now you have the transformer if you ever think about going digital then all you will need is a central station and some chips, so the next step will be cheaper if you want to go that way.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB controller does also allow you to use remote control through the 'phone' connection, but that is another expensive outlay, and that put me off too. I bought a transformer and controller a while ago, nearly £200 second hand, and then managed to obtain a cosmetically damaged controller for very little. The damaged controller now powers my railway as I was able to bolt a bracket to it to hold 3 servos that turn the speed control knob; cheap(er) rc control!

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
When I moved up from the 1amp starter units to something more powerful I also thought the LGB route was expensive (about £120 00 back then) so went for the cheaper way Gaugemaster they are alright in 00 scale railway's but in G scale not so good After the unit I had went wrong and was sent back on 3 different aoccasions I gave up and went the LGB route Moral of the story is you get what you pay for and there is always a good resale value if at a later date you decide to sell on