Narrow Planet nameplates for Fowler Diesel bash

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone had any experience of Narrow Planet nameplates?

http://www.narrowplanet.co.uk/

They seem extremely good value at £8.00 for a pair of 16mm scale nameplates and £6.00 for a pair of number plates. I've just ordered a set for my latest project (a Playmobil diesel to Fowler diesel bash - see http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-i-converted-playmobil-diesel-into.html ).

6bc7345873d0479b9bb34e731b691e08.jpg

Not quite finished yet (hence the masking) - needs lining and varnishing plus a few more details adding (such as nameplates, buffer beams etc). It has an MRC sound decoder which is very primitive (tickover plus rumble and an irritating bell) - but the decoder was cheap - very cheap!

I will let you know what I think of the Narrow Planet nameplates when the arrive. As you can see from their website, they wait until they have sufficient orders and then batch process them.

Rik

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I'm going to give them a go - seems very good value.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Cracking Fowler by the way - love it! Care to show us some words and music about how you did it?:clap:

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
I've also placed an order with them for plates whilst at the 16mm AGM. He's already been in touch, just waiting for the artwork to be sent for approval by myself before he makes them :)

sir haydn

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
I use Narrow Planet all the time, Infact you can order them through me. I believe Andy ordered his plates through me. I add nothing to the cost just helps you get them quicker as I normally have a batch waiting to go through which your order is added to.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
sir haydn said:
I use Narrow Planet all the time, Infact you can order them through me. I believe Andy ordered his plates through me. I add nothing to the cost just helps you get them quicker as I normally have a batch waiting to go through which your order is added to.

I didn't know you were on the forum. And yes I did order them throu you. My order was the 'Joan' and 'Lord Percy' plates. Looking forward to seeing the artwork, as I changed the order slightly after studying some pic's of the real loco's. :)

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
Happy to add my thumbs up to this thread, I got a great set of plates that I am very pleased with. Very crisp etch, I'll photograph them asap. :clap:

Took 2 months, but that was quicker than the last lot I ordered elsewhere, and is fair for a set of custom made plates. Well, 2 sets, but I haven't built the loco for the second set yet!!

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Same here, got my first 2 of 3 sets. Worth the wait. Again custom designed plates, which have been researched for me, so 2 months isn't bad. Steve at narrow planet kept me updated with progress throughout. :)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have a number of sets in a completing batch. Very good service so far.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Same here - a custom works plate set in etching I believe - great chap to deal with, professional, prompt and polite in response. Very reasonable prices for what you get in my opinion too!

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I have received some plates from Steve this week and I am well pleased

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very happy with my plates - though I now realise I should have specified smaller ones. My own fault as Steve will make the plates to any size and sends the artwork to you before etching for checking. Can't fault the service he offers at a really competitive price.

Rik

Narrow Planet

Registered
17 Jun 2011
Best answers
Hey Rik, let me know what size would be better for the loco and I'll do you some replacements.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Narrow Planet said:
Hey Rik, let me know what size would be better for the loco and I'll do you some replacements.

Thanks Steve
Will send you a PM
Rik

PS - See what I mean about the quality of service .......... :clap:

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Another very happy customer.
Have two batches of mixed name and number plates, about sixteen in all.
Some works plates in process.
Highly recommended.
715be9879aa94ed5a2cae6b9bb243da3.jpg

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
Works plates received from Narrow Planet a few days ago.
I think I've gone a little too small, but they look pretty good anyway.
A general view:-
fca866dda41a48bda9f1b33b319e796e.jpg

and a close-up of the Swift Sixteen "Owain":-
69e0e17e9c0b477f80888d63b19a1a7c.jpg

The number plate is NOT from NP!