Nameless eBay find

Old Tom

Registered
10 Apr 2010
West Sussex
tomlancaster.weebly.com
Best answers
Interesting that the description is well written, except for this bit (which I can't understand but I think it might be a later update). Very odd.
the engine is not bad despite the negativity shown by the fancy most with vested interest and protective of their income streams I doubt you will find one better at this money regardless of the details so offensive to the sad and silly people out there ?

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
There was quite a long thread about a company who had taken on the remnants of a failed manufacturer of coal fired locos. That thread appears to have been deleted, possibly because of some of the negative views expressed. I suspect that the auction is for one of the locos of that manufacturer.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
It's the same loco that was previously on e-Bay for £1,850. Obviously no takers so it's been re-listed at £1,000.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300731592...om=R40&_nkw=300731592233&_rdc=1#ht_642wt_1165
He says 'The pictures show engine prior to steaming' which explains the clean smoke box.
He also says 'The engine tested through out manufacture and finally test run on steam each engine individually set up prior to delivery.'
Rob Cooper steam tested his Sabre Steam locos, raising steam using a blowtorch, not a coal fire.
So his steam test proved only the Roundhouse running gear worked, not the coal fired part.
Steve

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Well I wouldn't have bought it at any price !

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
garrymartin said:
Well I wouldn't have bought it at any price !
No-one has. Someone has bid on it but the bid is below the price required. I would certainly like to see one of these locomotives run with a train. Hopefully one of them will be demonstrated at one of the many shows around the country. There is one coming up at Llanfair in September and this would certainly, be a good place to put any perceived negative comment on the defunct thread to bed. Indeed this would be far more effective than the seller attempting to compare the loco on eBay to the Riverdale product ? which itself was demonstrated very effectively at the 16mm Garden Railway Show this year. Actions always speak louder than words. I too prefer a locomotive with on board water ? but there is no doubt that the Riverdale locomotive is well engineered and works well ? in fact it does just what it says on the tin.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
J2s said:
You lost me tag. I dont see a reserve price.
Neither do I. Unless something odd happens (seller ends the sale, bidder withdraws the bid or doesn't pay, etc.) that loco is now sold.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Yes this is definitely the loco that came under fire from the 'Sabre Steam' thread.
Unlike Tag I would like to see the script writer and proof readers both shot.
Ah, originallly the price was GBP 1850.00 for a fully 'functioning' loco.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Rhos Helyg Loco Works said:
J2s said:
Neither do I. Unless something odd happens (seller ends the sale, bidder withdraws the bid or doesn't pay, etc.) that loco is now sold.
Yes. My fault. mis-read.. Wonder where it will surface?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
tagorton said:
Rhos Helyg Loco Works said:
J2s said:

Steady on chaps, Tag just went misty eyed cos the engines' got portholes :rofl::rofl::rofl:

E

Elmtree Line

the smokebox inside appears soft soldered, a bit has fallen out on the picture of that area, surely that will all melt away under steam?

27fa4bed01c04a8f8d09f8b1fe3b77f9.jpg

ZingyOrange

Registered
21 Jan 2010
Best answers
Elmtree Line said:
the smokebox inside appears soft soldered, a bit has fallen out on the picture of that area, surely that will all melt away under steam?

images

I think it's more likely to be some sort of sealant. There looks to be quite alot inside the smokebox. The exhaust looks to be just a roughly cut copper pipe rather than a propper nozzle and the paintwork around the smokebox door doesn't look well done. I think it needs alot more work.

Mossala Hill

Registered
5 Jul 2011
Liverpool
Best answers
tagorton said:
Re-listed within the week, I'll warrant.

Rob

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Dtsteam said:
Steady on chaps, Tag just went misty eyed cos the engines' got portholes :rofl::rofl::rofl:

In fact I like trains David because they don't float....

MickBlow

Registered
23 Mar 2010
Best answers
I see the 0-4-0 one is also up for sale (the 0-6-0 one went for £1,040 after the reserve was dropped). Anyway, I bought one of the bodies the seller had used in testing his designs. If I had made it (speaking as a dodgy bodger) I would have been pleased, and it will sit nicely on my Lady Anne chassis. But if I was buying it as a commercial product, I would have been miffed - the finishing quality wasn't there yet. Now, this was a prototype so allowances have to be made, but that plus the photos on ebay for the finished loco put me off. BTW there is at least one maybe two more locos coming up for sale (the seller says one of three).
Mick

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
HBB said:
There was quite a long thread about a company who had taken on the remnants of a failed manufacturer of coal fired locos. That thread appears to have been deleted, possibly because of some of the negative views expressed. I suspect that the auction is for one of the locos of that manufacturer.

These are indeed the loco's discussed in that previous thread. The various ebay listings also appeared in the original thread.