Practical Garden Railways

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
<p><strong><em>Practical Garden Railways</em> by Peter Jones (The Crowood Press), 2006, £19.95</strong></p><p>The late Peter Jones is probably the most well known garden railway modeller in the UK. His idiosyncratic industrial Compton Down Railway has been featured in books, articles, TV programmes and films for many years. His own written contributions to magazines have inspired many a newcomer to the hobby, myself included. This volume does what it says on the cover - it provides clearly written practical hands-on guidance on planning, constructing and operating a garden railway.</p><p>The introduction describes a brief history of garden railway modelling and provides background information on what is attractive about owning and running a garden railway. The chapter on planning contains information about possible locations and layouts, and other considerations such as security and planning permission. Chapter 3 - 'Foundations' covers an aspect of garden railway modelling which generates considerable debate and discussion. Peter discusses the virtues of ground-level lines and those mounted above ground level. He outlines approaches to 'terraforming' and landscaping and draws on his own extensive experience of construction with a range of materials. The next chapter on trackwork gives an overview of the various types of track and techniques for tracklaying and ballasting (another area of great debate). For me, Chapter 5 is of particular interest as a distinctive feature of Peter's Compton Down Railway is his use of structures and detailing. In this chapter is a wealth of useful information on construction techniques for tunnels, bridges, turntables and traversers, signals, lineside details (including a Victorian gents' urinal made from a plastic fruit tray) and figures. Chapter 6 looks in detail at locos, from off the shelf electric models and steamers through to kit-made and scratch-built - including radio-controlled battery-operated models. He even bestows the virtues of modelling in card over brass and plastic - Peter suggests dropping one of each from the top of a multi-storey car park to see which one comes off best!  In Chapter 7, Peter draws on his experience of constructing rolling stock to provide a highly practical outline of a range of techniques for constructing, bashing and detailing. Similarly, the next chapter on 'Buildings' covers a wide range of materials and construction methods and shows off Peter's talents to their best advantage. An area of modelling which I find particularly challenging is painting. Chapter 9 provides plenty of highly useful information on how to finish off a model, including painting backscenes and figures to an impressive level of realism. The next chapter on tools would be particularly useful for someone new to the hobby as it lists a range of tools, implements and larger equipment (including the computer) needed for achieving a quality finish. Gardening is not neglected in this comprehensive volume. Peter's own garden railway was not noted for its flora but despite this, Chapter 11 provides useful information for a novice gardener on filling some of those empty spaces with foliage.  Chapter 12 looks at 'Operation'. This includes preparing the line for a running session, arranging for a group visit, creating a timetable and dealing with adverse weather conditions. Chapter 13 is simply entitled 'Options' and discusses issues such as gauge and scale, trains and trams. In Chapter 14, Peter examines large scale passenger-carrying garden railways; comparing elevated with ground-level trackwork and battery vs steam power. The penultimate chapter takes us through the garden railway year, from January through to December. Interestingly, Peter explains that he celebrates the coming of the new year by running a train, regardless of the weather! As a fair-weather modeller I must admit that since reading this chapter I have come to realise that I could be gaining a lot more from my railway by running it throughout the year. The final chapter comprises a set of annotated photos showing a range of garden railway contexts. Five appendices include information about suppliers, groups and associations, sources of further information, photography and lollipops (which is a plea for originality and whimsy in your own modelling).</p><p>This is a lavishly illustrated and well produced book to which a garden railway modeller will refer for many years to come. The practical information is presented in Peter's highly engaging and readable style. He has shared with us many of his secrets and also his love of the hobby. It is a fitting testament to his contribution to the world of garden railway modelling. He will be sorely missed.</p><p> </p>

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Terrific review. Now got a copy on order. Thank you! :applause:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
A great review, the book is on my Xmas list

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Practical Garden Railways - PS

Thanks for the comments. I have no connection with the publisher or with Peter Jones, by the way.
I unfortunately never met him, but always looked forward to reading his contributions to Garden Railways.

Rik

jaxon

beer,Gscale,beer,16mm live steam and electric,beer
24 Oct 2009
southport
Best answers
Great review of a great book,I can honestly say this is one of the only books I have read cover to cover since I was at school!! and that was over 25 years ago.... :eek:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
jaxon - 1/11/2009 11:47 PM

...one of the only books I have read cover to cover since I was at school!! :eek:

:loser: Oh, so that's what were supposed to do at school. :yawn: Soon as I saw this book, I got it out from the library, and yes, read it from cover to cover. I was fortunate to exchange a few Gnatterbox postings with Peter before he passed away.

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Wish I could find this one over here

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi Vic,</font></p><p><font size="3">Tsk, Tsk not trying, :wave: :wave: goto Amazon.com; they have it at their usual 33% off - Happy reading/ or Christmas present for you! </font></p><p><font size="3">Didn't give a link as it is a long one!</font> </p><p><font size="3">Yours Peter.</font></p>

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
Peter, Yep I thought of that right after I posted, D'oh! :eek:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Just purchased one from Play.com, chrissie pressie to myself:D :D

orville

Registered
29 Nov 2009
Rainy Rochdale
Best answers
Brilliant book, well worth the money. Read it cover to cover and still get it out to read bits over. :applause: