MYSTERY SOUND UNIT ???

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Have just got a second hand sound unit for my USA TRAINS SD40-2 but have no idea who's makes it ???? All that's written on it is what looks like a date of manufacture 2002 and SD40.
Have fitted it today and found that it sounds very nice with authentic horn and bell . The loco powers up followed by two blast of the horn , the grade crossing horn and bell are activated by reed switches for track magnets .
At one stage i thought i heard voices ????
In the box also came a part that i can't identify and have no idea where it would go looks like a small speaker to me ??
Wasn't sure if it's a early SOUND TRAXX ???
694d68cc0e9741cca3aa159c85ee1e0d.jpg

648ed8a981b449048a34acc3307cbe09.jpg

Mystery part ???
4da93e7ea8014626bec32a31b518f49a.jpg

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
That's a small speaker. Alyn

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
themole said:

Thought as much maybe it's used for HO models as i can't see any other use for it .
Can't seem to find a volume control would it be that cross shaped dial on the middle left next to the red & orange wires in pic 2 ?? There is a rotary switch which i thought was the volumn but just seems to be the on /off switch .

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
themole said:

Thought as much maybe it's used for HO models as i can't see any other use for it .
Can't seem to find a volume control would it be that cross shaped dial on the middle left next to the red & orange wires in pic 2 ?? There is a rotary switch which i thought was the volumn but just seems to be the on /off switch .
Could be? It is a potentiometer which are often used for volume controls

I would make a note of its position (mark it with Tip-ex?) and turn it a full turn CW, or as far as it will turn, then test.

If there is no increase in sound then you can simply reset it to the position noted earlier....

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Richie said:
themole said:

Could be? It is a potentiometer which are often used for volume controls

I would make a note of its position (mark it with Tip-ex?) and turn it a full turn CW, or as far as it will turn, then test.

If there is no increase in sound then you can simply reset it to the position noted earlier....

Many thanks Gizzy turned the dial on the sound card and the engine sounds got loader , but the horn and bell stayed at the same volume which i thought was strange , havn't heard any more voices coming from the loco must have just been the cold weather in the garage playing tricks with my mind :happy:
I've still no idea of the make have tried looking it up on Google :thinking:

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Dallee?

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
New Haven Neil said:
Hi Neil
I thought it might be a DALLEE sound board when i got it, have several DALLEE sound boards in other loco's and they don't sound as good as this one , the loco sounds allot better with the engine given two blast of the horn going forwards three going backwards battery back up with charger for sound when the track voltage drops to zero .

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Mmm, wonder what it is then! Must be for G scale only looking at the size of it.....
my DCC HO ones are minute in comarison!

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Could be a PH system. Paul Housey made them for after fitting in USA Trains. They are no longer made. I think due to QC issues. I have a PH system in a RS-3.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I think your right on the money their, it looks very similar to the old PH systems I used to fit for the train store same plugs and IC chips...................Paul...............
They do make a little plastic rod for the sound level POT just slips in the little Allen shape hole.
And yes PH systems were bloody awful for QC I used to test each one before fitting and the failure rate was really bad! Make sure connections are all good and the battery charged before use, on the old systems we used to let them sit on a powered track overnight at 12 volts to charge the battery and then they would mostly be OK.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
minimans said:
I think your right on the money their, it looks very similar to the old PH systems I used to fit for the train store same plugs and IC chips...................Paul...............
They do make a little plastic rod for the sound level POT just slips in the little Allen shape hole.
And yes PH systems were bloody awful for QC I used to test each one before fitting and the failure rate was really bad! Make sure connections are all good and the battery charged before use, on the old systems we used to let them sit on a powered track overnight at 12 volts to charge the battery and then they would mostly be OK.
Cheers Rod & Paul looks like the mystery's been solved :clap:
Got a new 9v rechargeable battery which i fully charged and fitted today i did solder some of the loose connections and used heat shrink tubing to stop any shorts .
Was i just hearing things or do these sound units have cab chatter ???

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Richie said:
minimans said:
Got a new 9v rechargeable battery which i fully charged and fitted today i did solder some of the loose connections and used heat shrink tubing to stop any shorts .
I've just read the fitting of a PH sound unit into a Aristo RS3 on Google it mentioned cab chatter from a third reed switch not sure where the third reed goes only had two with the sound board fitted .

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Richie said:
Richie said:
minimans said:
I've just read the fitting of a PH sound unit into a Aristo RS3 on Google it mentioned cab chatter from a third reed switch not sure where the third reed goes only had two with the sound board fitted .
On the picture Richie where the two reeds are connected on the bottom left? Just try touching the two unused contact together with a screw driver just a quick flic should get the additional sound working if their there.
2f52b036d41342c481d7aa6600b5361d.jpg

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
minimans said:
Richie said:
Richie said:
minimans said:
On the picture Richie where the two reeds are connected on the bottom left? Just try touching the two unused contact together with a screw driver just a quick flic should get the additional sound working if their there.
images

Cheers Paul will give that ago . On the Aristo fitting of the PS board it also mentioned fitting two speakers would this small speaker that came with it be used in the cab for the cab chatter ?? If yes where would this go on the board ??
Regards Richie

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Richie said:
minimans said:
Richie said:
Richie said:
minimans said:
images

Cheers Paul will give that ago . On the Aristo fitting of the PS board it also mentioned fitting two speakers would this small speaker that came with it be used in the cab for the cab chatter ?? If yes where would this go on the board ??
Regards Richie

I'm not familiar with this board Richie but since there are four pins free on the reed plug perhaps two are for the speaker and two for the trigger reed?

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
minimans said:
Richie said:
minimans said:
Richie said:
Richie said:
minimans said:
images

Regards Richie

I'm not familiar with this board Richie but since there are four pins free on the reed plug perhaps two are for the speaker and two for the trigger reed?

Hi Paul
Hope to have ago tomorrow if it's not to cold in the garage :clap: , been sent home from work yet again because of the weather :wits:

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
minimans said:
Richie said:
Richie said:
minimans said:
images
Hi Paul
Braved the cold garage earlier and tried the two pins with a screw driver but no cab chatter . I think i will leave it as it is as i would hate to blow the board , maybe the cab chatter comes on at random times with track voltage .
Many thanks for your help Richie

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
HI Richie
Just seen this thread and I have got a board just like yours. It is as Minimans said, a PH board. the small speaker is actually for the bell and horn and can be positioned elsewhere inside the loco body. My board whilst looking like yours has the facility for two speakers or just one for all the sounds. I stuck mine in a NW2....tight fit with the battery and charging point!

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Mike
I thought that the mini speaker may have been for the cab as i have heard cab chatter once when testing but nothing since . Would like to add the speaker for the horn and bell but can't see where it would go on the board when i turn up the volume for the engine sound the horn and bell stay at the same low volume have two volume controls one on the board and one rotary switch but both just seem to control the engine sound . For the money i can't complain ,the horn does sound very nice .