my own kitbashing a engine shed for my nw-2 yard switcher

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H3]here is my own kitbashing of engine shed....for my usat nw-2 southern pacific..any comments?[/H3]
p.s...more will follow....this week......

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Are you going to put it on a base Steve or just on the ground? I think it will rot pretty quickly without a base of some sort?

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi...i will use waterproof garden fence paint on it.....my another kitbashing truss bridges been stain with fence paint...it last up to 2 yrs now...still going ok with heavy rains,snow,ice.etc....alway re-stain every yr.......

aslo old ex covered bridges into bird table...it been outside for 5 yrs.....wink

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
lmao......i have alot of heavy rains,snow,gales for many yrs.........i know it will blow off but the tricks is screwing it down on the base more strong......like lock............

mine is not chipboard...teak hard wood and timber treated woods.......if normal woods,mdfs,non wood is useless,,,,,,,,,,,can go rot,brittle,warp......
im joinery in the past learning types of woods in the weather......now i dont have to buy kits of loco shed coz i cant afford it......tht why i kitbashingn it or scatchbuilt it...save monies.....interesting to make it as hobbies....if any peoples buy kit tht ok.....some are not...50-50.......

Steven I think Wod is right - from the pictures it looks a lot like chipboard with a facing on it. I would be very concerned about leaving it outside even if it's treated.

Sorry to say that because the shed looks very promising and I hope we are wrong.

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi ...i understand this members from this formus saying about this chipboards will go rotten and brittles,DAMAGES..fair enough....so i m doing all my best to do these kitbashing a locos shed then varished all over then......(til i put alots of wooden strips from old ex wood roof tiles strips...... with waterproof varished,garden paints,etc agian...) TO stop rottens..brittles...damages...leaking .... inside and outside..

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
there u go.........

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi Steven, that looks like a super construction well done. The NW2 will be nice and snug in there... really good stuff.

I do worry about the chip board too- maybe the veneer will slow down the problems but you must make every effort to seal it somehow, especially the sawn edges and where it touches the ground.

If I were you I might use what I have as a great template for another shed in another material- the hard work was the thinking normally- so it would take half the time to knock up!

Keep us informed on progress great stuff!

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Great work Steven really nice job:clap:

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
thks u richie.........will keep in post here......it nice to hear from u agian.......

it nice to be in my shed where the sunny come up and nice feeling inside the shed where i kitbashing it......

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
Hi Steven, that looks like a super construction well done. The NW2 will be nice and snug in there... really good stuff.

I do worry about the chip board too- maybe the veneer will slow down the problems but you must make every effort to seal it somehow, especially the sawn edges and where it touches the ground.

If I were you I might use what I have as a great template for another shed in another material- the hard work was the thinking normally- so it would take half the time to knock up!

Keep us informed on progress great stuff!

thks u coggesrailway for yr comments..........yes i will seal it everthing....

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
there u go...

aslo,,,,u mite want to see my small mini layout inside my shed while i kitbashing a loco shed.....wink..

been set up small layout weeks ago just in day!!!......loves it.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
there u go agian...been off sick for 5 days due of cold weather...will doing more work on it..........hope i will finished it off soon ..

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
there u go agian.......need to get shed roof felts but wilkosons have shed roof felts roll but it badly make and poor wearing....need to have spare roof felts from members if possibles...glad to help me..for loco shed roof...

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
Re:my own kitbashing a engine shed for my nw-2 yard switchers.....

[H2]hi...here is updates photos of my kitbashing project on march 28th sunday 2010 in my shed ....more will followin by make details,roofs,etc......:D[/H2] any comments.......thks u for looking at these photos.....

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H2][color=#ff0000 size=4 font="courier new"]there u go agian........will updates photos this week..[/H2]

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
[H2]i wud likes to say many thks to one of the member who gave me spare roof felfs strips roll for my loco shed roofs...........it painstaking work but loves it ...aslo need to be finished off at both sides and top plus more details as windows..door...aslo shelters.....etc..[/H2]
ANY KIND COMMENTS...it my 4th kitbashing projects......

[attachment deleted by admin]

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Looking the part Steven very nice work :clap: Do you plan on keeping it out side all year round ?

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi richie..of course i will put it outside all year round and aslo do some re-work on it every 6 months to make sure if ok......
my old ex covered bridge now bird table is over 4 years old and it been outside for many yrs without any work on it...............

when it done,,stain it with garden fence paints,seals,etc...

tht why i cant afford a loco shed kit.....need to kitbashing to save monies......plus got 4 kitbashing platt truss out of carpet grippers!!!!......useful.........

will make 5th platt truss bridges............got the templates tht i draw a plan to built it......

p.s.im into model making for many yrs doing plastic kits,wood kits......