My first Zillertalbahn 0-6-2

metzbahner

Registered
10 May 2010
www.etsy.com
Best answers
i just got a ziller river valley railway loco No. 2 with red pinstripes! i finally acquired one of my most loved locos available from Lehmann. Here it is a bit dusty but in all its "soot blackened romance"

toms_zillertal_062_lgb.png

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
They are nice especially in black. I have the Grey and green versions. But would love that one. That window will soon go back in & the dust will soon come off. How much did you pay?

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
That was the first LGB LOCO I ever bought!

It cost me just £54 Brand New in 1976!!

It ran for a couple of years on my very first garden line, but its gears failed! ( the line was 'hilly' and the trains heavy!!)

I wrote to LGB in Germany ( no spares in the UK in those days) and their reply was to send me a big bag of all sorts of gears and axles & wheels no charge with their compliments, there were enough to repair at least a dozen locos.

The loco was repaired and ran fine for some time longer until we moved in '84 and I sold a lot of my G scale intending to move to a different scale at the new address,

Incidentally most of the stuff I sold went to a Mr Adamson, just before he opened his GRS business!!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Steve, to be fair to Mr Adamson he did build a lot of railway in his garden I visited it sometime around the 90's before he got into G3 big time. He also converted many things in G to mostly South African Prototypes, so many of the bits that you sold him may have looked very different after he got his hands on them.
JonD

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
Steve, to be fair to Mr Adamson he did build a lot of railway in his garden I visited it sometime around the 90's before he got into G3 big time. He also converted many things in G to mostly South African Prototypes, so many of the bits that you sold him may have looked very different after he got his hands on them.
JonD

Oh yes I know fully of Michaels activities!! I wasnt deriding Michael at all in my statement, just stating to where a lot of my early G scale went.

I used to have lots of phone converations with him in the early 80s about garden railways and his Michaelmas Line, his first line was actually Marklin G 1.
.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Talking of conversions to SA outline

Do you remember the Actor John Maxwell? He was the GRANDAD in Heinz soup adverts in the 80s he lived near to me in Cheshire, and it was his layout at the Macclesfiled exhibition around '75 that introduced me to LGB! He was into building SA outline locos Garratts etc from LGB Chassis which could be bought over the counter in those days, He visit my line and some of his locos were run there!!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
The U class is a favorite of mine. Ditto With Paul Stainz....

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
by contrast -i did not fancy or purchase a zillertall until 2 years ago-some 22 years after entry into g scale-i bought a rather late production version decoder ready

the proportions are unique-and odd to my eye because the stack is so far forward-among the other distinctive designs

i also really like the loco (and it runs well with my spreewald and corpets-same geraing speed) -it runs so smoothly -and they have fascinating drive gear

it smokes rather feebly-despite a replacement of the original and un-damaged seuthe unit -

i think this has something to do with the decoder electronics not delivering as much voltage at low speed

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I like mine so much I made a double Ziller................................
9c859477f9824be881ad6cb80143fb45.jpg

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
stevedenver said:
the proportions are unique-and odd to my eye because the stack is so far forward-among the other distinctive designs
Unfortunately, LGB dorked with the cab heights. From 1978-ish on, the odd number units have a unfitting and TALL cab. The 2070D kept the low cab.

I had a 2171D that I sold off in a couple months, the cab height drove me nuts....

But then Andy (MZB) pointed out, there *may* be a prototype for such things!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJJn96PgnvY

Also note the JHMD hacked one tank for the air brakes, and the removal of the brake ejector....

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a black & a grey example, but the black is my favorite , its the first loco I reach for when i'm not in the mood for , or have time for live steam. I once offered to trade it & another grey one I had for a Corpet , but I am glad it didn't happen now.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Interesting Nigel, thanks for digging up the metre gauge Us. I had heard of these, but it is great to see them.

It is also great to see the prototypes for the anceint Lindberg building kits. I have one for my railway also.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I actually think they look better proportioned with the tall cabs- they are my favourite LGB locos.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I think like LGB that the taller cab looks better even if it's not correct!!
90b07eab1b2b4e6594fc9a802a9041ef.jpg

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
I like mine so much I made a double Ziller................................
images

Like that Paul, very unusual

Nice conversion

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Then send me all your shorty cabs....please!;)

The big problem is with the short cab, they look silly around a Stainz, the Stainz is 1:18 or so, while the U is not far off from 1:22.

The real kicker is the bias from owning several H0e versions, so you know "how" they are supposed to look.

But I can see why LGB modified them, they are dwarfed by the 4 wheel coaching stock, but do look better with the 3061/406X stock.