My First LGB Locomotive

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
How would this 1:22 scale Forney look alongside my 1:20.3 scale models? My answer is fine. It seems that Forneys were built in a myriad of sizes and weights. So, it fits. At least in my mind it does. Not only that, but this West German model runs beautifully. Starts off slow and smooth. This model deserves to be detailed. I don't know about the shoes though. Maybe just disguise them with some flat black???

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
They are an excellent loco. They pull better forward than i reverse, due to weight and traction tires, i surmise. I have...6! yeah i like 'em. One handed track placement is convenient.

Love to see a pic of yours.

I wouldn't mess with the shoes. You want to insure that they travel freely. (shoes, btw, are the most efficient device to gather power from the track. A slide is like a commutator brush on a motor, much more effective than the tiny rolling contact area of a wheel. The shoes also prevent micro arcing, which can result in pitting the wheel.

As a fellow banjoist, suffering the slings and arrows of the world, we have an internal strength that non banjoists cannot understand.
Thus it is too, with those of the Red Box Brigade, of which i am a devotee, and you are a budding apprentice. LOL

Its part of the spiritual transformation that goes along with most lgb, that being, surrender and acceptance....lol.

"At least in my mind , it does..." ...it seems, you have ALREADY been transformed.

Me, I have fully accepted lime green tank cars, pink box cars, and red and green moguls.....not to mention very short wheelbases...and giant rails.....like visualizing a flame in my mind, yogi-like, i no longer see all the LGB rubber ruler, fantasy liveries as anything other than my earthly reality. LOL You too will no longer see the shoes, given time and daily , mindful practice. LOL (Well, you might see YOUR shoes, as so many of us banjoist do, often covered with drool...)

Much of LGB is, for the most part, not to scale (although sometimes right on), not finely detailed, they are not prototypical, and they have features (or a lack thereof), that while toy-like, make them robust, weather proof, tolerant of repeated handling, and run like champs.

Paint can work wonders to reduce the toy like sheen and colors. (I have done this, but for the most part live with stock colors).

A nominal 1/22.5 ‘bumblebee’ with 1/29 (?)coaches. Contrasts well with the garden, if not nearly prototypical. Steam generator with arc headlights…go figure….

AD901F36-BB3D-47A0-9142-4048F1856BA9.jpeg

Last edited:

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
They are an excellent loco. They pull better forward than i reverse, due to weight and traction tires, i surmise. I have...6! yeah i like 'em. One handed track placement is convenient.

Love to see a pic of yours.

I wouldn't mess with the shoes. You want to insure that they travel freely. (shoes, btw, are the most efficient device to gather power from the track. A slide is like a commutator brush on a motor, much more effective than the tiny rolling contact area of a wheel. The shoes also prevent micro arcing, which can result in pitting the wheel.

As a fellow banjoist, suffering the slings and arrows of the world, we have an internal strength that non banjoists cannot understand.
Thus it is too, with those of the Red Box Brigade, of which i am a devotee, and you are a budding apprentice. LOL

Its part of the spiritual transformation that goes along with most lgb, that being, surrender and acceptance....lol.

"At least in my mind , it does..." ...it seems, you have ALREADY been transformed.

Me, I have fully accepted lime green tank cars, pink box cars, and red and green moguls.....not to mention very short wheelbases...and giant rails.....like visualizing a flame in my mind, yogi-like, i no longer see all the LGB rubber ruler, fantasy liveries as anything other than my earthly reality. LOL You too will no longer see the shoes, given time and daily , mindful practice. LOL (Well, you might see YOUR shoes, as so many of us banjoist do, often covered with drool...)

Much of LGB is, for the most part, not to scale (although sometimes right on), not finely detailed, they are not prototypical, and they have features (or a lack thereof), that while toy-like, make them robust, weather proof, tolerant of repeated handling, and run like champs.

Paint can work wonders to reduce the toy like sheen and colors. (I have done this, but for the most part live with stock colors).
I have two Forney's which I have converted to blunami and batt power. They run and pull so well. Double heading them works and sounds so good with the blunami especially when the sound gets out of sync. I have 1/20 engines and cars as well. But I just do what looks good to me. And always remember what ya'll taught me. Rule 8!DSC00132.JPGDSC00133.JPGDSC00134.JPGBy the way the cabbage stack came from a Bachmann three truck shay. I love the look.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
How would this 1:22 scale Forney look alongside my 1:20.3 scale models? My answer is fine. It seems that Forneys were built in a myriad of sizes and weights. So, it fits. At least in my mind it does. Not only that, but this West German model runs beautifully. Starts off slow and smooth. This model deserves to be detailed. I don't know about the shoes though. Maybe just disguise them with some flat black???

'West German', eh? How old is your Forney? 'West Germany' ceased to be marked on products of the united Germany by the end of 1991.

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just wondering. Is the power truck articulated? Looks like there would be a heck of an overhang at the back if it is fixed to the running plate.

Rik

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
"Realistic or believable?" That's the question Dave at Thunder Mesa Studios" posed. Does the 1:22 scale Forney look right towing this coach of questionable scale? Is it believable?
Forney and Coach.JPG

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Just wondering. Is the power truck articulated? Looks like there would be a heck of an overhang at the back if it is fixed to the running plate.

Rik
Yes

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
"Realistic or believable?" That's the question Dave at Thunder Mesa Studios" posed. Does the 1:22 scale Forney look right towing this coach of questionable scale? Is it believable?
View attachment 323518
Looks just fine to me. The loco is nominally 1/22.3 scale but is here running on 45mm gauge representing metre gauge. The SR&RL Fornies were two-foot teenies. That passenger car is a nominal 1/24th scale, so between the too-big track and the just too small car, the out-of-scale look is dead in the water. I like the look of it.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Looks fine, the only problem you MAY have, is if you populate them

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Love thunder mesa…so much to see and learn.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great.
love the coach livery. May need to get a couple.
realistic or believable…its worth watching dave meek’s (thunder mesa studios) video…
it has been my philosophy, er, ‘close enough’, free lance, since my first lgb starter set. Ive learned to see past a lot, rather than doing ‘owner improvement‘. Especially now, as detai parts and decals are seemingly unobtainable.

realistic..thats bachmann Fn3 locos…ams, accucraft, .
Love it too, but, id rather simply ‘play trains’, everything works, no parts falling off, etc.

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
...another screen shot and perspective of relative scale.

DSC00892.JPG

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great.
love the coach livery. May need to get a couple.
realistic or believable…its worth watching dave meek’s (thunder mesa studios) video…
it has been my philosophy, er, ‘close enough’, free lance, since my first lgb starter set. Ive learned to see past a lot, rather than doing ‘owner improvement‘. Especially now, as detai parts and decals are seemingly unobtainable.

realistic..thats bachmann Fn3 locos…ams, accucraft, .
Love it too, but, id rather simply ‘play trains’, everything works, no parts falling off, etc.

Decals are not as hard to find as you might think. Over here in UK we have the redoubtable and innovative Tom Eivers- boss-man of Endon Valley Decals. He not only makes an incredible range of very high quality decals for all the usual Welsh lines - all eighteen of 'em - but is more than happy to do just what our own beloved and much-missed Stan Cedarleaf was so famous for - custom decals right up to FULL-SIZE! And I mean full-size, lettering and emblems as found on fill-size locos and rolling stock.

Last edited:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ill check him out…sounds great.