My first garden railway

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
So now we have finally moved and I have sorted the house I can turn my attention to the garden. So between the decking and the first shed is 31 feet, I am taking the two smaller sheds out which will give me another 10 feet. The third shed which I am keeping next to the garage is 7 feet wide which the return loop will be in so end to end I will have 48 feet ish. Hire is what it looks like now before I have started.FB8276C0-7E3D-49D9-9B61-06ADEE47D794.jpeg98A936D5-ADC2-4C61-ABFA-0770B70D7CEB.jpegD2F9868F-F2FF-4B25-87BD-76F9B80C0EA7.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Plenty of scope there Adam, plus all that gas for your live steamers!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like the previous owner had a serious shed fetish. I have a friend (no seriously) who used to have five sheds in decreasng size for each of his hobbies; aircraft parts (that's real aircraft not models), car restoration (double garage really), DIY, pool maintenance and I think the smallest one had some gardening stuff. Quite why he needed a house as well I have no idea. :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like the previous owner had a serious shed fetish. I have a friend (no seriously) who used to have five sheds in decreasng size for each of his hobbies; aircraft parts (that's real aircraft not models), car restoration (double garage really), DIY, pool maintenance and I think the smallest one had some gardening stuff. Quite why he needed a house as well I have no idea. :)
I would not take out any of the Sheds, co sider a make over on them all. Mount them upa single breeze block high to give more room inside and insulate them you then have a cosy but of indoor railway that can join to your Garden Railway tgus giving all year round enjoyment.

As for Sheds, you can never have enough of em! I now have 5 full size and two more small tool store sheds and hanker after another but nowhere to put it.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
So, a whole 3 up on Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson then......

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon.

Reactions: 1 users

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
He was a carpenter and if the false floor and deviding wall in the garage was anything to go by I will have my work cut out taking them down, over engineered is an understatement. Small progress been to the tip twice to empty moving debris from the shed I am keeping (engine shed) looks even bigger now it’s not full of rubbish it is, it’s 7 1/2 feet by 9 feet I could still fit a loop inside if I wanted I suppose I ve been so focused on putting the trains outside now I have a garden. I never thought about a loop inside.image.jpg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
7'6" x 9' is only a few inches smaller than my shed Adam which you may remember had a small layout inside, albeit using R1 curves. Always useful for a) testing and configuring locos and b) something to play with when the weather is less than kind.

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
So I have been busy taking down the two smaller sheds, the garden looks so much bigger without them now all I have to do is make a wall for the shed I am keeping as it didn’t have one it was just butted up to the one next door.A2DB0806-AFBF-4A85-8141-7B35DA58A7B2.jpeg7B363D5C-205F-493E-8BD1-53FD58477A48.jpeg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well where I originally used "turbo screws" into my thermolites I have started to remove them, plug and fix with brass screws hoping they will weather in.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Great start, looking forward to seeing progress..

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
So, a whole 3 up on Arthur "Two Sheds" Jackson then......

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jon.
I can top that - when we moved into our present house there were four and a half sheds (the half was a lean-to) :talking::talking::talking::talking::talking:

.............and they all leaked :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah-ha!
(went back to the beginning, to work out about the 'concrete' wall..)

Nice to have a 'tidy' clean-slate to start with.. :):envy:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I can top that - when we moved into our present house there were four and a half sheds (the half was a lean-to) :talking::talking::talking::talking::talking:

.............and they all leaked :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

If we're allowed to count the Keter plastic "garden stores" we were talking about a while back (they are kind-of-sheds, though not ones you can walk into), then we're currently at seven - two "real" sheds, four of the Keters and a lean-to storage shed running the whole length of one side of the house.....and we've still run out of space...... :(

Jon.

Adam1989

Registered
11 Mar 2018
Calne wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
If anything I felt a bit guilty pulling them down must of took him ages to build, nothing wrong with them and I 've ripped them down within the first two weeks of living there .

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
If anything I felt a bit guilty pulling them down must of took him ages to build, nothing wrong with them and I 've ripped them down within the first two weeks of living there .
He sold it - you bought it :punch::punch:

Live like you wanna live :tmi::tmi::tmi:

Oh, and run a rain or two :cool::cool::cool:

Sean.

Hmmmm
5 Oct 2017
Boston & Cocagne NB (not enough)
Best answers
Country flag
Looks great so far.
Do you have a track plan we can attack .. :blush:
Looking forward to watching this progress !

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Gievn our current weather, was that a Freudian Slip.....? ;)

Jon.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Knackered brain and worn out fingers after a morning on the strimmer.

We have secured the use of the old school field for parking for the French Fair - the school has not been used for over three years (despite being gifted to the county by the late King George VI).

So, three years of hay to cut and overgrown driveway to be cleared :whew::whew::whew::whew::whew:

The Great Bircham French Fair has got bigger every year - 1,500 visitors last year o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Always a difficult decision when moving into a new house, what to leave, and what to remove, as you have plans for your garden starting clean is IMHO the best way forward.

When in doubt, throw it out.....:nod: