My First Foam Board Building

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
and a little anecdote,
the new build estate near to me had a delivery of chimneys the other day as I drove by. Yes - full chimneys in one piece - bricks, pot and flashing. I am pretty sure these are cosmetic and non functional but there was about 20 of them on the back of a lorry. Fiberglass I guess.

I just googled and found this - http://litespeed.co.uk/prefabricated-chimneys/
A lot of the time they're used as flues for the gas boiler

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Or as a result of the 'working at heights' directives! :rolleyes:
No, don't knock the safety legislation, the simple aim is that everybody should go home at night and come back to work the next morning.

I think it's part of the drive for off-site manufacture to achieve speed, simplicity, reliability (weathering /water penetration) and cost reduction.

Coupled with the fact that there are not many plumbers / bicklayers these days who know how to install a DPC in a chimney stack :shake::shake::shake:

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Plumbers only responsible for the lead / copper flashing at the top / side etc bricklayers responsible for the DPC

Shaun

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Talk about thread drift...this is like tectonic plates o_O:rofl::rofl: anyway being of am inventive [lazy] disposition the idea of hand marking the bricks on the overlap on the sides..hum how about we machine those sandstone thingys on the corner of buildings to stick on 20171013_191106.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Or as a result of the 'working at heights' directives! :rolleyes:
No it's more likely to do with weight, a proper chimney and pot is heavy so need a stack to support them, the fibre glass pre-made jobby can just sit on the roof joists. (Well not just"sit", but you know what I mean) Also there's no need to sacrifice room space.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Talk about thread drift...this is like tectonic plates o_O:rofl::rofl: anyway being of am inventive [lazy] disposition the idea of hand marking the bricks on the overlap on the sides..hum how about we machine those sandstone thingys on the corner of buildings to stick on View attachment 228776
Quoins :nod::nod::nod:

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
And heres

here's me trying to have a serious conversation :D what a waste
You said it mate. GSC is going to the dogs.
Great piece of scratchbuilding. Well done. Keep up your posts

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
it's a CNC router so wobble is not permitted :rofl::rofl::rofl: so will just have to assume the brickie in question is super accurate ;)
From normal viewing distance (say across the Road) a House looks perfect just like your Bricks will from a yard or two. Only when you get up close to a House do you notice the imperfections. Though Roof tiles are a little differerent an it is always worthwhile havinng the odd dropped and broken one present in a roof. Unless of course the building represented is meant to be brand new.
JonD

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
20171014_124625.jpg

A bit more progress before head north with GD 4 for gymnastics competition

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Looking very effective.. I especially like the cornice at the top.
:clap::clap:

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Looking very effective.. I especially like the cornice at the top.
:clap::clap:
20171015_161902.jpg 20171015_161913.jpgspot the mistake.... still we will try better next time

Reactions: 2 users