My First Foam Board Building

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Well after some head scratching and experimentation the final result, the Bank of POP and MOM for my western town. Due to limited space the buildings will be foreshortened to a sort of relief concept. It was created using my Stepcraft CNC machine to create the brick pattern with a polished 1mm domed projection turned out of some 3mm silver steel. A lot of fiddling was required to get just the right depth for the indentation of the brick shapes otherwise the surface of the board ripped through to the foam. Finally settled on 0.3mm in three passes.
Next challenge is the painting. First thoughts are to spray the whole thing with a dark gray Tamiya primer before sponging on the brick colours. :) DSCN1086.JPG DSCN1084.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed, you could always make a small test square to test any painting technique.

I done a similar method to what you describe to paint kits and buildings, you do the brick colour first and when dry dap a few bits if the mortar colour on, and then rub smear it around, it gets in all the small gaps only.

It's a lot easier to do then to type

Dan

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, I spray mine all over the color of the mortar white in my case and it primes and seals the board, then use three colors for the bricks applied via a sponge, I went for white mortar as it stands out more to my eyes :)

Reactions: 1 user

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Looks good, I spray mine all over the color of the mortar white in my case and it primes and seals the board, then use three colors for the bricks applied via a sponge, I went for white mortar as it stands out more to my eyes :)

What make of paint do you use ? I was not sure for the mortar colour but was thinking white was a bit too bright and was thinking between the light or darker Gray primer. Do you overpay with a matt varnish?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a mug like that :)
Fortunately it doesn't detract attention from the great model, if that's a first attempt you've done really well:clap:

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
I've got a mug like that :)
Fortunately it doesn't detract attention from the great model, if that's a first attempt you've done really well:clap:
Thanks, the windows are 1/24 scale dolls house but the door is cobbled from styrene sheet and strip. The design is from a set of plans from a war gaming web site that I have rescaled. It was supposed to be clapboard but I thought that was a bit difficult at this stage to reproduce so I went for the "easy" option o_O

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good - and an interesting method of creating the brick effect.

Incidentally, are you the owner of the Bank - or just a customer?;)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Looks good - and an interesting method of creating the brick effect.

Incidentally, are you the owner of the Bank - or just a customer?;)
I have 4 daughter's, 4 sons in law and 7 grandchildren hence the bank owner

Reactions: 2 users

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
What make of paint do you use ? I was not sure for the mortar colour but was thinking white was a bit too bright and was thinking between the light or darker Gray primer. Do you overpay with a matt varnish?

The base coat is Plastic primer, I then give it a coat of Matt white, the reason I used white was for lime mortar and then brick colors stand out well with a white base coat. :) The bricks are then done with masonry paint tester pots and a sponge, when finished the whole thing is then sprayed with a Matt sealer. The oldest station on the CBR line so far is 9 months old and still looks the same as it did when I first but it outside, so fingers crossed the matt sealer seems to protect the paintwork. probably a bit to well I had expected it to age a bit as I didn't add any real weathering at the painting stage.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Very smart,keeping an eye on this one,my western buildings are mostly dummy timber,but thinking of a brick warehouse,looking forward to the finished model;)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
s
The base coat is Plastic primer, I then give it a coat of Matt white, the reason I used white was for lime mortar and then brick colors stand out well with a white base coat. :) The bricks are then done with masonry paint tester pots and a sponge, when finished the whole thing is then sprayed with a Matt sealer. The oldest station on the CBR line so far is 9 months old and still looks the same as it did when I first but it outside, so fingers crossed the matt sealer seems to protect the paintwork. probably a bit to well I had expected it to age a bit as I didn't add any real weathering at the painting stage.
Just to be slightly nerdy :nerd::nerd::nerd: and mildly off piste........................the colour of mortar can have a dramatic effect on the final brickwork. In the '70s, we built four blocks of flats with the same brick, two blocks in cream mortar and two in purple mortar. Even knowing that it was the same brick, I had difficultly convincing myself, because it looked so different.

If you look at Mike's buildings, where he sometimes wants to emulate a Staffordshire blue brick, his mortar background is always a fairly dark grey - I'm not sure what colours he adds for the brick facing.................

Mike !! :wait::wait:

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
20171012_191933.jpg Today's experiment was to paint a spare bit of foam board them mill in the bricks with a 1mm cutter. This is the result

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 228735 Today's experiment was to paint a spare bit of foam board them mill in the bricks with a 1mm cutter. This is the result
Now you will really start the debate - does the mortar keep the bricks together, or keep the bricks apart :D:D:D:D

Have a look at these :wait::wait:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...2-vWAhXB2RoKHcY8CLoQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=794

If I was to be hypercritical, the mortar joints are too wide.

In 1:1 scale, the coursing is 75 mm so a brick is 65 mm high with a (nominal) 10 mm bed joint.

Similarly a brick is 215 mm long with a (nominal) 10 mm perp.

The BS for size of bricks is based on a number laid end-to-end (it's an awful long time since I dealt with this) but it means that an individual brick can be almost + / - 3 mm of the nominal size.

All this has an effect on the width of the mortar joints :nerd::nerd::nerd:

OK, nerd mode off - if it looks right, it is right :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Last edited:

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
Now you will really start the debate - does the mortar keep the bricks together, or keep the bricks apart :D:D:D:D

Have a look at these :wait::wait:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...2-vWAhXB2RoKHcY8CLoQ_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=794

If I was to be hypercritical, the mortar joints are too wide.

In 1:1 scale, the coursing is 75 mm so a brick is 65 mm high with a (nominal) 10 mm bed joint.

Similarly a brick is 215 mm long with a (nominal) 10 mm perp.

The BS for size of bricks is based on a number laid end-to-end (it's an awful long time since I dealt with this) but it means that an individual brick can be almost + / - 3 mm of the nominal size.

All this has an effect on the width of the mortar joints :nerd::nerd::nerd:

OK, nerd mode off - if it looks right, it is right :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:think::rofl:o_O

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
And, of course, we now use metric brick which are slightly smaller than those of old, but the spacing is still intended to be the same - so the mortor is now slightly thicker than it used to be.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
and a little anecdote,
the new build estate near to me had a delivery of chimneys the other day as I drove by. Yes - full chimneys in one piece - bricks, pot and flashing. I am pretty sure these are cosmetic and non functional but there was about 20 of them on the back of a lorry. Fiberglass I guess.

I just googled and found this - http://litespeed.co.uk/prefabricated-chimneys/

Last edited:

Fezwig

Registered
5 Jul 2016
Croft, Warrington
Best answers
Country flag
and a little anecdote,
the new build estate near to me had a delivery of chimneys the other day as I drove by. Yes - full chimneys in one piece - bricks, pot and flashing. I am pretty sure these are cosmetic and non functional but there was about 20 of them on the back of a lorry. Fiberglass I guess.

I just googled and found this - http://litespeed.co.uk/prefabricated-chimneys/
Just what I'm looking for my station, they are 1;22 scale aren't they:think:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You need some 'wobble' in the milling machine..
They look way too symmetrical!!

Modern mortar and brickwork is carp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cement mortar is too hard (I reckon) no give in it, and way too thick courses..

Look at a Victorian building.. Razor-thin mortar-courses, and no cracked walls.
Modern stuff just cracks up.

(Ducks below parapet)

Graham

In Smoggy Land
10 Mar 2016
Middlesbrough, England
Best answers
it's a CNC router so wobble is not permitted :rofl::rofl::rofl: so will just have to assume the brickie in question is super accurate ;)