MTS 1? Thinking of getting one for the Portable Layout.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mice 1 said:
I have used the small E-Z control centre on the Lentil Soup Works Railway to control fledbhan locos without any problems. The transformer was rated at 16vac at 1.6 amps.
Provided you used it for shunting with the odd short burst of speed it should fit the bill.
Mike G
That would probably fit the bill thanks Mike?

As Jon Zerogee mentioned, a 7 foot long run doesn't really require 'warp speed'....

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
"Does it have be MTS? There are other low-end "start set" DCC systems that are a bit more modern "

Recently I had a chance to try a Hornby Select...the base DCC unit supplied with their digital sets. I had read a bit about them beforehand and was prepared to poo poo it. But I was impressed. Easy to use buttons, and a nice feel. Can't configure CV's or read back though.
Think you can swap the dc wall wart for more grunt, as supplied it's 1 amp, but upgradeable to 4 amps

The Bachmann Dynamis may also prove suitable, as it's infra red wireless.

Both of these units are available from the auction site you refrain from.

And both cheap enough to try, and resell if not quite right. It would prove the concept. Maybe you can find one to borrow?

An OO system may well be good for a shunting layout, as the maximum motor voltage will only be 12, rather than 18 or 20 for MTS

Malcolm

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Brixham said:
"Does it have be MTS? There are other low-end "start set" DCC systems that are a bit more modern "

Recently I had a chance to try a Hornby Select...the base DCC unit supplied with their digital sets. I had read a bit about them beforehand and was prepared to poo poo it. But I was impressed. Easy to use buttons, and a nice feel. Can't configure CV's or read back though.
Think you can swap the dc wall wart for more grunt, as supplied it's 1 amp, but upgradeable to 4 amps

The Bachmann Dynamis may also prove suitable, as it's infra red wireless.

Both of these units are available from the auction site you refrain from.

And both cheap enough to try, and resell if not quite right. It would prove the concept. Maybe you can find one to borrow?

An OO system may well be good for a shunting layout, as the maximum motor voltage will only be 12, rather than 18 or 20 for MTS

Malcolm
Thanx Malcolm!

It's only LGB that I'm careful about buying from EvilBuy, as given its 'rarity' these days, the prices seem to be very high for often poor examples. That's why I'd prefer to buy from like minded folks on this forum.

I've not had a look at the Bachmann units on Ebay yet, but I could probably get a discounted deal on a new one from my local model shop....

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I've had some tasty LGB off ebay ( and GSC ) recently.

Costs nothing to look!

Malcolm

PS Digitrax DCC ( + almost anyone's decoders ) user ( for OO ) and have tried it on G, but prefer to stay anaolgue for the time being

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Brixham said:
Recently I had a chance to try a Hornby Select...the base DCC unit supplied with their digital sets. I had read a bit about them beforehand and was prepared to poo poo it.
There was a lot of concern from the DCC experts that the Hornby Select when it first came out put out a rather dodgy DCC signal that some decoders didn't like - to the point they felt it shouldn't be given an NMRA DCC conformity mark thingy. I remember some guys at my old club tried a Select on a small 00 shunting layout and had lots of problems with it, though to be honest when I looked at a couple of the locos they were trying to use they were rather ropey. Don't think there were the same concerns with the more expensive Hornby Elite system.

I've seen folk using the basic Bachmann EZ DCC unit quite successfully in the small scales. I think a lot of folk like the old Roco LokMaus systems, the basic HO start sets were cheap and often bought simply for the DCC controller.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
If you get a decent, large scale, set up Gizzy, you will know it will work with high voltage (relatively) and multi motor locos without giving grief. Not only that - your LGB Railway can slowly migrate to DDC as well. You never know - having started you might like it.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:
Can anyone enlighten me on MTS1, as supplied with the basic Digital LGB sets.

It works very well and has almost all the features of MTS2, so long as you use a 55015/55016 with it, rather than the Lenz "mouse" supplied with the starter set. The only real restriction is limit of 15 loco addresses, rather than 23.

I still have an MTS1 unit which is my "iron reserve" in case the MTS3 explodes (he said, rapidly touching wood!). Did me proud for 10 years and still works just fine when checked.

That said, I suspect you can pick up an MTS2, especially a serial item, for no more than an MTS1 box....

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
If you get a decent, large scale, set up Gizzy, you will know it will work with high voltage (relatively) and multi motor locos without giving grief. Not only that - your LGB Railway can slowly migrate to DDC as well. You never know - having started you might like it.

I'm with you Alan, then we'll have another convert

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
Can I ask what benefit MTS would bring? As there is only one loco on the layout.

One for Gizzy to answer from his perspective of course, but as I see it:

Granted, running a layout with just a single loco is arguably just as easy on DC as DCC, and it can be difficult to justify the initial outlay unless you're sure you want to go down the DCC route as part of your grand plan.

Even with just one loco you start to get the benefit of little things like the lights staying on and being controllable when the loco is stationary, plus ability to trigger sounds etc. on demand can be a joy if you like that kind of thing when you're playing with your trains. Having the full voltage in the track at all times helps with running reliability at low speeds (not such a big issue with G compared to the small scales, but it helps), and of course means you can light coaches without the need for batteries.

It might only be one loco to begin with, but if Gizzy catches the DCC bug and adds another loco (or a guest loco makes an appearance) then of course thats when DCC comes into its own, with no need for having to run one loco into an isolating section before moving the other.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Cheeky Monkey said:
Can I ask what benefit MTS would bring? As there is only one loco on the layout.

One for Gizzy to answer from his perspective of course, but as I see it:

Granted, running a layout with just a single loco is arguably just as easy on DC as DCC, and it can be difficult to justify the initial outlay unless you're sure you want to go down the DCC route as part of your grand plan.

Even with just one loco you start to get the benefit of little things like the lights staying on and being controllable when the loco is stationary, plus ability to trigger sounds etc. on demand can be a joy if you like that kind of thing when you're playing with your trains. Having the full voltage in the track at all times helps with running reliability at low speeds (not such a big issue with G compared to the small scales, but it helps), and of course means you can light coaches without the need for batteries.

It might only be one loco to begin with, but if Gizzy catches the DCC bug and adds another loco (or a guest loco makes an appearance) then of course thats when DCC comes into its own, with no need for having to run one loco into an isolating section before moving the other.

Spot on!

Nick has read my mind and answered the question....

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Good points Nick. With a very small but detailed layout such as Gizzys, the addition of details such as lights, sounds, etc. are very significant - more so than on a larger layout perhaps.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
stockers said:
Good points Nick. With a very small but detailed layout such as Gizzy's, the addition of details such as lights, sounds, etc. are very significant - more so than on a larger layout perhaps.
And as it's designed to be exhibited, and demonstrate G Scale, I need something to draw the crowds!

Putting on a loco with sound does this, and grabs the punter's attention. It's a small layout of about 7 ft in length, with only 4 1/2 ft viewable and the rest a hidden fiddle yard. Much smaller than my clubs N gauge layout, which is 20 ft.

I'm trying to demonstrate that you don't need a hugh space for G, and you can still enjoy shunting wagons

With DCC, the sound and lights are on all the time, so the experience of G is thus enhanced.

Have to be ready for my MRC's exhibition in May....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Of course, the yellow KoF from the digital starter set (I think that's the one you've got, Gizzy?) also has the flashy lights on top which can be MTS-switched, all adds to the interest. Plus if/when you have a spare £100-ish, you could add a Massoth S module to put sound in it.

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My original thoughts were to buy an MTS1 to try for the portable layout as a cheap and cheerful option, but the more I get into this, the more I can see a reason to get MTS2/3 to run on both layouts.

I can't see me ever running more than 10 locos, so may a Bachmann EZ, with 4A booster and the ability to run an analogue engine as an alternative choice?

Might be a TE with 10A PSU going for sale if we aren't careful....

mmts

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Essex and you dont need your passport
Best answers
Country flag
Gizzy said:
My original thoughts were to buy an MTS1 to try for the portable layout as a cheap and cheerful option, but the more I get into this, the more I can see a reason to get MTS2/3 to run on both layouts.

I can't see me ever running more than 10 locos, so may a Bachmann EZ, with 4A booster and the ability to run an analogue engine as an alternative choice?

Do it.............

Think about it,no more bending down to change points :D

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Gizzy said:

Let me know if it is, Im staying strickly old school for the momment

Tony

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Disaster recovery??!!

I've seen 3 layouts that were static displays only as the dcc controller had decided to let out the magic smoke at the most critical time. And there wasn't a spare!

For your mini layout, reversion back to analogue is feasible.
For a large, non sectioned multi track multi loco layout it gets a bit more difficult. I imagine that on your home layout, all the isolating sections can be switched out for digital, then could be re-instated for emergency analogue working.
When I've helped a friend with his digital layout, he's always had a spare command centre, which of course we've never needed.

So maybe MTS2/3 and a cheapy E-Z with booster
I like spending other peoples money!

Malcolm

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Gizzy,

I quite like the Lenz system http://www.digital-plus.de/e/index.php , there is good support in the UK.

There is a Lenz Compact (no longer made I think) on evil bay at the moment, about £80.00.

Some parts of MMTS1 were made by Lenz anyway.

I'm sure the systems other have suggested are fine. I do think it is a mistake to assume that a DCC system for G Scale has to be either MTS or Massoth

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
Gizzy said:

Let me know if it is, Im staying strickly old school for the momment

Tony

Will do mate....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
The Massoth is way beyond anything else its absolutley phenominal (at a cost) but all easily software upgradeable

Not sure I'd 100% agree with that. It's very good but not absolutely the best IMHO. Having had a go on Massoth gear I still reckon my NCE system is a little more user friendly. The Zimo system I found to be even better, but that's more costly than Massoth!

I'll grant that not having UK-legal wireless is a drawback with NCE, there's no denying that wireless operation is a good idea in the garden if you have to nip down the far end to sort out a derailment or whatever. I can get round that by running the entire system wirelessly from my little netbook pc using JMRI software, though mostly I run from the comfort of the conservatory.

If Massoth were to extend their range of modules to include an equivalent to the NCE MiniPanel (brilliant for creating "mimic" control panels), maybe open up their pc interface spec to JMRI, and drop the price a little, that would go some way to convincing me to switch allegiance.