Mrs Miggins' (Trifles) Ltd.

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
My mind wanders. I’ve been looking for a little project to get me through the winter this year and a video (kedwards) on here has given me the following idea. A business has expanded into previously bombed out factory adjacent to the line due to the exponential expansion of the Sunday afternoon “high tea”. Rationing has all but finished, it is the late fifties, and people up and down the country have started eating tinned Salmon and Cucumber sandwiches with Trifle for afters, for their Sunday teas. Apparently an outfit called “B*rds” has also started making Trifles, out of a packet for goodness sake. That will never catch on.

Mrs Miggins' (Trifles) Ltd. has reconditioned the derelict factory whereby it is to be supplied with custard, jelly, cream and hundreds and thousands to join the road transported sponge cake and Mrs Miggins' (Northumberland sherry) Ltd. finest pale Amontilladodo ( I was going to make that rude but decided against it) on the production line. Finished Trifles will leave the factory by lorry. Mrs Miggins' (Haulage & Storage) Ltd. has a fleet of Bedford Lorries. Happily, as far as rail is concerned, the recipe for the Trifles requires equal portions of the four ingredients. (yes, yes I know 100s and 1000s would be a lot less, but it’s my Trifle factory OK, and the gelatine is added to the jelly when it gets to the factory or it would be impossible to get it out of the tanker.)

A small fleet of rail tank wagons will be procured, one tank for each of the four ingredients. Tanks will be filled up in the night at the main factory and transported to the new “facility”, and used up during the two day shifts (06:00 -14:00 and 14:00 – 22:00). In the evening they will be hauled back to the main factory for washing and refilling. A spokesman for Mrs Miggins' (Trifles) Ltd. said, “We would use road throughout, but the lorry drivers are scared of the dark and operating rights on the railway were cheap. The locomotive was, according to the manufacturer, a failure, but 99% of the parts are the same as their standard gauge locomotives”.

This will make the “Trifle Express” the first (05:45 arrival (fifteen minutes to connect the wagons to the factory)) and last (22:15 departure (fifteen minutes to disconnect the wagons)) on the line.

For my project then, SWMBO has bought (me) a Bachmann G Scale Devious Diesel for Christmas (this is of course a perfect base for a model of English Electrics little known 3 foot gauge "08ish" shunting locomotive, (this was the only one was ever built, because, by the time EE had got their act together everyone had bought lorries) and 4yes4 tankers from that chap in the east coast for my Birthday (I did consider using the preferred TTTE tank wagons, however, these were sixty or seventy quid each whereas she got four tanks for seventy two from ECR) . These will be suitably butchered to make up a self contained train for exclusive use. The train will have two conventional buffers instead of the railway standard single centre buffer and a continuous brake will be supplied, allowing the train to run without a brakevan and be single manned. This will stop the main railway from pinching the shunter for its own use.

In theory.

More information/photos as it happens. Probably sometime next month.

:)

DIESEL91407.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
A spokesman for Mrs Miggins' (Trifles) Ltd. said, “We would use road throughout, but the lorry drivers are scared of the dark".
I hope they get their just desserts.

David

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Mrs Miggins has expanded from pies then?

I look forward to the trials and tribulations, of the painting of the many '100s and 1000s' required for the inevitable spillage-scene!
:worried: :wondering::D

PhilP

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Look forward to seeing how it all develops and sounds as if there's plenty of fun possible.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Does Mr. Todd have any role in this enterprise?

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Have you considered rotary tankers to move ready mixed jelly and custard to prevent their setting in transit - like their road going cement mixing counterparts ? Max

Reactions: 1 user

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Mrs Miggins has expanded from pies then?

I look forward to the trials and tribulations, of the painting of the many '100s and 1000s' required for the inevitable spillage-scene!
:worried: :wondering::D

PhilP

It is in fact Mrs Miggins Great Grandson running the company now, the passing generations have expanded somewhat from the original lovely pie shop! ;)

brokenwing

Registered
21 Oct 2011
Best answers
Country flag
How about a bolster wagon to transport Swiss roll for the base of your trifle? Then of course you’ll need a crane to offload it. Keep sponge cake off the road it makes an L of a mess

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I should imagine that any railway accident would leave the track a trifle slippery.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Would 100's and 1000's work in the sanders?
:wasntme:

PhilP

• Wow

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Have you considered rotary tankers to move ready mixed jelly and custard to prevent their setting in transit - like their road going cement mixing counterparts ? Max

Ahh. the jelly will not have gelatine added until its arrival at the factory so will remain liquid. The custard is more problematic I agree. A work around has been found whereby the custard will be dehydrated in the main factory and arrive at the factory in powder form with the custard tank suitably modified to allow its unloading by pressurising the tank and blasting it into the production area for rehydration and addition to the Trifles. Should be OK.

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
How about a bolster wagon to transport Swiss roll for the base of your trifle? Then of course you’ll need a crane to offload it. Keep sponge cake off the road it makes an L of a mess
The cake at the bottom of the Trifle is unfortunately going to be handled with road haulage. (The siding will only accomodate four wagons and railwaymen like cake)

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
As promised and described elsewhere, the railway has finally taken delivery of four tank wagons.
Work to do:
1) Dismantle them completely and decide if its worth getting some steel wheels. (£11/wagon)
2) Lock the swiveling single axle bogies in position.
3) Replace the buffers with something that matches the Devious Diesel.
4) Repaint the tanks silver (if I can get a decent coat), failing that, Gold. (My original plan was to paint each one a different colour, Yellow for custard, Red for jelly, Cream for cream, White spotted for 100s & 1000s. That was until I saw the price of paint.)
5) Repaint the rest another colour, probably Red....not sure yet.
6) Ballast the tanks with blind baking beans Araldited to the inside of the tanks.
7) I would like to put a moniker on the tanks reflecting Mrs Miggins prowess in the Kitchen, but I am nowhere with that design at the moment.

Here they are, shortly after delivery. Work will start in the New Year.

DSCF0012.JPG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Where does Lord Blackadder and Mr Baldrick figure in this escapade ?

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Mrs Miggins used to make giant pies in the shape of a giant pie.

She also provided a retail outlet for the well-known 'Sunshine Holiday Home for Pets' Pie Company of Upper Slaughter.

• Wow

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Look forward to the continued development of the company.

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
Mrs Miggins used to make giant pies in the shape of a giant pie.

She also provided a retail outlet for the well-known 'Sunshine Holiday Home for Pets' Pie Company of Upper Slaughter.

I like your thinking!!

Hal Farsed

D.P. Gumby.
7 Apr 2014
Staffordshire, England.
Best answers
Country flag
These landed a couple of days ago. For the suppositories er tankers. The plastic wheels supplied will suffice for a wagonload suitably painted.

The plot thickens. Or maybe its the gravy.

319567558_840889823860853_3464635530732895362_n.jpg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Egads sir!
Gravy in trifle! You should be birched!!
:mask:

PhilP

• Wow