Mounting printed circuit boards

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I've got an SA1 auto-shuttle and an SA8 station stop from Heathcote Electronics. I'm setting them up for an exhibition in a couple of weeks time and would like some guidance in fitting them in some sort of permanent protection - currently, they are kept in empty ice cream containers. The boards are quite large - the SA1 approx 115mm x 120mm x 30mm, the SA8 approx 115mm x 95mm x 50mm. One answer would be to screw them to the inside lid of the ice cream container, using suitable spacers to allow air circulation and cut holes for the wiring in the body of the container.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
In the past I've had said pop to Maplin for a suitable project box, but now.... ? RS, Farnell, ebay I guess?

Reactions: 1 user

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using a few of these:

Waterproof ABS Plastic Electronic Project Box Instrument Enclosure Cover Case | eBay

With cable glands on the underside;

30 Pcs PG7 Waterproof Connector Gland Black for 4-7mm Diameter Cable 4894462434062 | eBay

I am upgrading from these (which worked through many a storm): May end up being a downgrade, who knows.

1L Rectangle - Klip IT™ Rectangular - Sistema Plastics

The last one attracts me and would certainly serve the turn. Do you have any tips on how you went about things, please?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
I cut a notch in the rim of the base to accommodate whatever cables needed to enter/exit, making sure the fit was reasonably snug without damaging insulation. This makes it easy to work on as you don't need to thread wires through holes, you just pop the lid.

I always made sure to mount the box with the lid up.

The plastic can crack if you apply too much pressure to it so cut carefully with a razor saw or similar.

Reactions: 1 users

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I cut a notch in the rim of the base to accommodate whatever cables needed to enter/exit, making sure the fit was reasonably snug without damaging insulation. This makes it easy to work on as you don't need to thread wires through holes, you just pop the lid.

I always made sure to mount the box with the lid up.

The plastic can crack if you apply too much pressure to it so cut carefully with a razor saw or similar.

Many thanks. How did you secure the pcb in the container?

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
I am usually putting switch decoders and feedback modules in them so they are just left unsecured. I would be tempted to do that with the board as well unless you must have it secured. The box provides pretty good protection from elements etc...

If I am mounting a board my first preference is to use double sided tape but if the bottom (or top) of the board is too lumpy then a few blocks of high density foam and hot glue do a treat.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just be aware how hot these can get in the garden. - Heat can be a killer for electronic modules, as much as moisture..

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Just be aware how hot these can get in the garden. - Heat can be a killer for electronic modules, as much as moisture..

Thanks for the warning Phil. They're going to be used indoors and I'll see they're kept out of direct sunlight.