Most inexpensive articulated live steam...?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Not fussed on scale or country... but out of interest what is the answer to this question?

Regards, Ian

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Used Locobox Darj Garratt? Or an Accu 2 truck Shay.

Kim4601

Registered
4 Sep 2010
Best answers
A regner shay might qualify, but its looks are somewhat unbecoming of a steam engine, its a few sheets and planks short of being a diesel outline steamer, it does however from all videos ive seen and reports run rather well,

I guess the new ruby base (with new cylinders) accucraft forneys might count in some way with the bogeys, they seem to be hovering around the 600 dollar US mark and arrving shipping wise in most places either already or new stock in shortly, likewise with the similarly styled plantation locos, although they have a single ponytruck vs the articulate bogey

Regner Shay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-bGkwjVAYY < Link To http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR9O5FmGCxs

1,337 USD in kit form

Accucraft Forney (currently in restock apparently)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUVYktez9E

550 to 600 USD

accucraft shays retail around the 1000-2000 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blayt3NLFmc

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Hyde out mountain used to make a shay, in fact I think Trainz have one for sale........................Looks like they sold it as it's gone from the web site but it was about $800 I think..............

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
and that hyde out mountain shay was imho -very crude
-at least from the trainz pics
i was just flipping thru an old garden rr mag and saw one -

offered as a new product back in 1990-;ots of features like lights and reed sitches to activate things like swiitches or auto lowering water spouts etc

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I guess when you ask for the cheapest your going to attract Crude!!!

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
If I remember correctly, it ran on Sterno.

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
steamtom1 said:
If I remember correctly, it ran on Sterno.

Could it have been modified? I seem to recall it was gas fired?

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
This one could have been modified. The original Jerry Hyde creation was a pot boiler that did run on Sterno.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
e204838c6ea847c4a875076c9c036207.jpg

A year ago I built this K1 Garrett in live steam using two Roundhouse Katie chassis kits, a locally sourced boiler and various other Roundhouse components. It has radio controlled regulator, reversing gear and whsitle. The total cost of the whole thing, excluding only (my) labour costs was 3150 pounds. Drawings are available if anyone wants to try it.

Regards
Peter

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
moonraker that is brilliant!!

Mikado

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Best answers
I am just about to put a R/C live steam Roundhouse Sandy River on sale in these pages, have been trying to work out what it is worth
Best engine I have owned, it will pull 5 LGB bogie coaches up a 1 in 100 gradient at a sedate and dignifed speed.
It has only run 3hours 34 mins, would make an ideal Christmas pressie

minimans

24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Mikado said:
I am just about to put a R/C live steam Roundhouse Sandy River on sale in these pages, have been trying to work out what it is worth
Best engine I have owned, it will pull 5 LGB bogie coaches up a 1 in 100 gradient at a sedate and dignifed speed.
It has only run 3hours 34 mins, would make an ideal Christmas pressie

As the saying goes it's worth as much as somebody will pay for it, unfortunatly it's usually not as much as one hoped for!!!!

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
minimans said:
As the saying goes it's worth as much as somebody will pay for it, unfortunatly it's usually not as much as one hoped for!!!!

and then less..........plus about six time wasters :D

JoelB

Registered
19 Feb 2010
New England
Best answers
Any earlier post (or two) mentioned Forneys. The prototype Forney was not an articulated locomotive (although both Roundhouse and Bachmann have produced models [live steam and electric, respectively] that incorrectly allow the driving frame to pivot).

BTW, the only engines produced in the US that had that feature were from the Mason Machine Works in Taunton, Massachusetts. These were an Americanized version of the single Fairlie, but were referred to as "Mason Bogies". Accucraft in the US has offered a model of two Denver, South Park and Pacific 2-6-6T Mason Bogies -- their web site reports these as having been sold out, but at about $3,000 retail, they'd hardly qualify as inexpensive, so I s'pose the point is moot...