Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i think you have to program it to acept lgb proticals..ie the funtions..

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Yep need CV49 setting up right that's all and should still work ok with your Massoth too. more in the decoder compilation thread ;)
"First thing is to set to LGB mode CV 49, (total is below), check what the default is (supposed to be 19 but frequently different).

30khz value 2 ( Muns says the 16khz is the preset but they are silent on 30 as well)
auto speed step detection on value 16
LGB mode on value 32
Loksound2 on value 128 (this means the sounds happen every time you press rather then latching on and off)
so add these all together and CV49 is set to 178 and all works well."

Couple of other things buried in the manual, set the master volume below maximum otherwise the load dependent sound on cv124 won't have any range to increase the volume under load.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just been trying to get my Mikado done with one.
There are so many settings to get right.
I am now gwtting there but not quite right . Give me Massoth

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Massoth are simpler to set up but they don't allow such realistic sound response which is why ESU are a bit more complicated. If you have done one though and save it using a SPROG or Lokprogrammer then it's a simple matter of loading the basic parameters onto each and the just tweaking the synchronisation to the wheels and address.
Massoth can't simulate cut off properly which is my main problem with their sounds.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I no longer have my sprog, I now use Massoth.
Think thats what has messed the chip up. I certainly can't warrant another programmer for one chip.
I've had a word with Brian at Glendale and Massoth are due to release their version of Mikado (SNCF).
Iv'e even tried the setting you provided for Heidi

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
May be a slight incompatibility issue using a Massoth programmer as it was an LGB unit that locked up one my ESU chips when trying to alter the higher cv's. Rescued it with a full rewrite though. There are similar issues in OO with Hornby controllers and Bachmann chips at present. SPROG is the only one that seems happy with any manufacturers chips.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It's nice to know that it's not confined to Alan & myself
Not much consolation. Think I must echo you statement Steve
funandtrains said:
I've had problems with both of my ESU fitted locos working on MTS and one is factory fitted by Kiss. I would advise you to avoid ESU if you have an MTS controller.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'd agree with that for programming but I run 3 locos exclusively on MTS and Neil has a couple too and no problems running with either layout at shows. We've only encountered problems trying to reprogram. I already had a SPROG and Neil got one too as they are cheap and effective. I subsequently got the lokprogrammer purely to play with the sounds as I have several small scale locos with them too.
At the end if the day though as long as the chips and sound keep you happy then stick with that brand ;)

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
So it seems to bs the LGB handset not sending out the signal. I suspect you have an earlier serial handset rather than parallel one.
There are two possibilities:-
I've found my serial handset can play up in this way but as long as you press it once and don't press again until it does it it works. Yours maybe is not reliably sending it.

Or

Your ESU chip has the sounds actually allocated beyond the range of the MTS handset, though then I would have expected the Massoth to have to use the higher numbers. You can move them with the programmer easily but not so easy individually on the MTS handset.

As suggested by Steve above I think LGB's slight deviation from Nmra protocols rear their head when MTS tries to do more than basic control of the loco. Certainly my serial handset equipped MTS runs my locos fine with the cvs set as that post though I would record everything you change so you know what to return it to if it gets worse.
Test after changing every few cv's so you don't go too far wrong. That's where a programmer that can record each profile really helps as going back to the original format is one click away.

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
:) yeah the Massoth own brand system does seem to be fully Nmra compliant. I have a serial setup and Neil had parallel until he too went Massoth so it will work on all three but there's obviously another cv to change. My first choice would be changing the cv for speed steps to 14 if the LGB mode doesn't already do it as that's the only major protocol that was specific to the MTS units.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
When you press the buttons on the LGB handset (2 - 9 etc), does the display flash the same number of times as the button number you pressed?

If it does the the handset is in serial mode for that loco id.
Check out http://www.gscalecentral.net/fb.ashx?m=37638 to see how to change modes - should be in the first post