More on Massoth 10-way DCC plugs.....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from yesterday's discussions regarding the 10-way plugs to fit LGB locos with inbuilt DCC connectors, I've noticed a real oddity when going through the decoders that I have still to install, including a couple of older ones that have been taken out of locos from reprogramming....

Does anyone here have any idea WHY an older Massoth 10-way loom and plug, as supplied a few years ago with an XLS decoder, should have a different order of wire colours compared with the more recent ones?

The current (no pun intended!) order of wires in the loom, according to both the newer plug I have AND Massoth's XLS instruction manual, is:
RED-BLACK-ORANGE-YELLOW-WHITE-BROWN-GREEN-ORANGE(again)-BLUE-BLUE(again).

The older plug I have here, instead goes:
BROWN-BLACK-WHITE-BLUE-GREEN-YELLOW-ORANGE-RED-BROWN(again)-BLACK(again).

Completely different, although the order of the screw terminals on the decoder is the same as normal.
Now, obviously it doesn't actually matter what colour each wire is provided the correct terminals are connected to the correct pins (which they are), but the colour code on the older plug is really odd - it means that the GL+/- (track power) leads are green and yellow (they should be white and brown, standard LGB, as they are on the newer harness), and the MOT+/- (motor) leads are blue and orange, when THEY should be the yellow and green pair.

Anyone got any ideas? Is the older plug conforming to a different (eg NMRA, or another manufacturer?) colour code rather than the LGB standard?

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
XLS' used to be supplied with an interface cable for LGB and an interface cable for Aristocraft, each used different colours. XLS that I supply only include the LGB interface cable.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Zerogee said:
Does anyone here have any idea WHY an older Massoth 10-way loom and plug, as supplied a few years ago with an XLS decoder, should have a different order of wire colours compared with the more recent ones?

Weren't the older 10 pin connectors supplied for use with Aristocraft locos, long before LGB adopted the 10-pin connector, and hence used Aristo's standard colours (colors...) for wires?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mark and Peter, that WOULD make sense of this puzzle, and would fit with the age of the decoder that this loom came with.... just to confirm it, does anyone know what the wire colour sequence is (or was) for an Aristo DCC plug?

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
This shows wiring a Massoth decoder to an Aristo DCC plug.

http://forum.massoth.org/viewtopic.... wiring everything to NMRA standard colours!)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's nothing like either of the ones I have here, Nick - so it doesn't look like this is an Aristo loom then.....?

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
White/Yellow/orange/blue/red/black/blue/orange/green/brown

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
White/Yellow/orange/blue/red/black/blue/orange/green/brown

OK, so it's definitely not that one then.... the mystery deepens! ;)

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
Just found this....

(translated)
in a production series of XLS decoder (including the first delivery of large diesel) was a DCC connection cable, which did not correspond to the color coding in the instructions

[The colours shown in a diagram are those you mentioned.
http://forum.massoth.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Just found this....

(translated)
in a production series of XLS decoder (including the first delivery of large diesel) was a DCC connection cable, which did not correspond to the color coding in the instructions

[The colours shown in a diagram are those you mentioned.
http://forum.massoth.de/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=30

Aha! Great, thanks Mark, I think that's solved the mystery.... :D

Jon.