jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Step 5: Detail painting and transfers

Originally I was going to do a step just showing the detail painting - however, the transfers arrived so I 'rushed' on like an excited school boy!

Once the second of the final coats had dried for 24 hours I picked out the window frame in yellow - just for a little bit of detail. In my head this window is in a frame so it can be dropped (glazing will be applied to all windows later). I have also painted the door latches in satin black, and painted the lamps all black on the rear end.

I aquired a spare wagon buffer thanks to a very kind and generous Dave (doctorM) and this is fitted (as can be seen).

To get a good finish with the transfers it's a good idea to apply gloss varnish to the bodywork first - this helps the transfers stick better. I also use Microscale Microset decal solution which theoretically does the same - the aim of both these steps is to avoid silvering, where the backing film becomes translucent rather than clear.

Carefully cutting the custom transfers (see Step 4) out I've applied them where they'd fit - so not all prototypical but they do give an excellent impression of a European van.

e18fc55bdd7640ee897eed7e6d055176.jpg

I'm pleased with the progress so far. Final finishing will involve sealing the model with a satin varnish to protect the transfers before fitting glazing to the windows.

Step 6: Final finishing (next)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
jameshilton said:
Step 5: Detail painting and transfers

Originally I was going to do a step just showing the detail painting - however, the transfers arrived so I 'rushed' on like an excited school boy!

Once the second of the final coats had dried for 24 hours I picked out the window frame in yellow - just for a little bit of detail. In my head this window is in a frame so it can be dropped (glazing will be applied to all windows later). I have also painted the door latches in satin black, and painted the lamps all black on the rear end.

I aquired a spare wagon buffer thanks to a very kind and generous Dave (doctorM) and this is fitted (as can be seen).

To get a good finish with the transfers it's a good idea to apply gloss varnish to the bodywork first - this helps the transfers stick better. I also use Microset Microsol decal solution which theoretically does the same - the aim of both these steps is to avoid silvering, where the backing film becomes translucent rather than clear.

Carefully cutting the custom transfers (see Step 4) out I've applied them where they'd fit - so not all prototypical but they do give an excellent impression of a European van.

images

I'm pleased with the progress so far. Final finishing will involve sealing the model with a satin varnish to protect the transfers before fitting glazing to the windows.

Step 6: Final finishing (next)
Looking good James
Might have to have words with you as I want some doing.
Going to Altrincham on Saturday???

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Nice job James great looking paint finish :clap:

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Great work, I have often thought of doing one of these in an Epoch I grey paint job, and this further supports that idea.