Modifying a Piko 25 Tonner to Battery Power.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, you can get a lot more grunt out of a lot less space with Li-on batteries - the big issue is the charging regime which, at the time that I investigated, is not entirely straightforward. GE Rik of this parish has quite a lot of info about Li-on technology as he uses them exclusively :nod::nod:

Now to find a link to his blog spot - I may be some while :emo::emo:

Try this

Peckforton Light Railway: Quick introduction to the iMax B6 charger

Every one of those blue Li-on batteries I buy comes with it's own charger. The chargers are of the wall wart type. The other Li-on batteries I use are of the built up cell variety. they use a smart charger that I purchased separately from All Battery dot com. These batteries are the 14.8 volt type and power my larger locos and trailing cars.

I've been very happy with the Li-on technology. It's much more technical than I and smarter too.....:think:.....I'm sure that I am not telling you anything you don't already know. If you find Rik's blog spot, let us know. I seem to recall it also.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
If you find Rik's blog spot, let us know. I seem to recall it also.
It's on that link that I gave you - the Peckforton Light Railway.

Yeah, that is an alternative - dedicated chargers, but that leads to a lot of chargers. The other issue that put me off the 'ready to use' blue pack Li-ons, was that they were switched, with the switch being on the pack - burying a pack in a loco would most times make it difficult to operate the switch.

As I say, I almost went there when I was struggling for space in the MDC Hustler, but circumnavigated the issue, and, a bit like Jon, all the time the Ni-Mhs do what I need them to do, I'll stick with me quill pen and abacus .................. :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
Thanks Paul, will be an easy little beast to bring to your line when you are up and running again. Will be possible to fit it in a small box in my Rucksack when I come over by train.
I look forward to seeing it in action Jon:clap:.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
It's on that link that I gave you - the Peckforton Light Railway.

Yeah, that is an alternative - dedicated chargers, but that leads to a lot of chargers. The other issue that put me off the 'ready to use' blue pack Li-ons, was that they were switched, with the switch being on the pack - burying a pack in a loco would most times make it difficult to operate the switch.

As I say, I almost went there when I was struggling for space in the MDC Hustler, but circumnavigated the issue, and, a bit like Jon, all the time the Ni-Mhs do what I need them to do, I'll stick with me quill pen and abacus .................. :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:
Not to belabor the subject, but I have found some of those small 168 Li-on batteries don't have the on/off switch.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Not to belabor the subject, but I have found some of those small 168 Li-on batteries don't have the on/off switch.
Things move on ................ :nod::nod::nod:

There may come a time :whew::whew:

dunnyrail

MOTM

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hi Jon,
Just curious.. How fast does it go on ten cells? - I ask, as the Piko battery version runs on six, at a reasonable pace.
Thanks,
PhilP.
I have finally got round to checking that. Though as I said earlier it is running on a Cobra speed controller with that set to the slowest speed. Radar Trap (well Model Speed App on the iPhone) catches it at max 26-27 Scale KPH. I also did a lap time on my approx 2.5K Scale Length Circuit as 5.35 Minutes.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I have finally got round to checking that. Though as I said earlier it is running on a Cobra speed controller with that set to the slowest speed. Radar Trap (well Model Speed App on the iPhone) catches it at max 26-27 Scale KPH. I also did a lap time on my approx 2.5K Scale Length Circuit as 5.35 Minutes.
Out of idle curiosity, Jon, how easy is it to get at the Cobra and change the power curve to a different option - just to measure the effect?

If it's anything like my Hustler, the answer is likely to be :swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

dunnyrail

MOTM

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Out of idle curiosity, Jon, how easy is it to get at the Cobra and change the power curve to a different option - just to measure the effect?

If it's anything like my Hustler, the answer is likely to be :swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:
Easy peasy, there is a small button that is pressed with 3 sets of how the lights blink. 1 2 or 3. You just press the button to and hold get a steady light. Let go and it will flash in groups of 1 2 or 3. Press and hold the button and you change to the next setting which is seen as you release the button again. If it is on 2 ypu will need to rotate via 3 to get back to one.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Easy peasy, there is a small button that is pressed with 3 sets of how the lights blink. 1 2 or 3. You just press the button to and hold get a steady light. Let go and it will flash in groups of 1 2 or 3. Press and hold the button and you change to the next setting which is seen as you release the button again. If it is on 2 ypu will need to rotate via 3 to get back to one.
I wasn't sure how accessible the button was :mask::mask:

dunnyrail

MOTM

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
it is on the Cobra circuit board, so it does mean getting at that..:nerd:
I wasn't sure how accessible the button was :mask::mask:
Oh see what you mean now, not so easy on this baby. Pretty well all of my conversions would make it difficult to access without dragging some part of the body off. With the 25 Tonner it would mean dragging the chassis out and then undoing all the gaffa tape that is holding it in place to see the effect for of each the two speed steps and putting it back together after a test run. No chance, sorry.

But as I set all of mine to the slowest option is does not matter so far as I am concerned. If I remember the next time I have some new Battery Kit I will measure the difference on my test rig.