Modern freight on the Harz, using rollblock trucks.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Filmed last year, this video shows the collection of stone from the quarries near Eisfelder using standard gauge hoppers on rollblocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Filmed last year, this video shows the collection of stone from the quarries near Eisfelder using standard gauge hoppers on rollblocks.

Interesting Puce pink painting of the rollblocks. I wonder if the very small diameter wheels are prone to seizing up (given the visual motion indicators)?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Rotation markings are quite common on freight stock so it's easy to see locked wheels and slipped tyres. Obviously with very small diameter wheels getting flats is a major problem as they are proportionally much more of the wheel size. The low freightliner flats in the UK have a similar risk and you usually have to knock them out at the nearest possible place if they flat badly as a consequence. So I doubt they are prone to it as such but they have to be wary of it and the markings make quick visual inspection much easier.
Great videos thanks and interesting to see the propelling moves with what I assume is a remote control pack?

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great Vid Alan, nice to see that there is still some Freight on the Harz. Also there is an illustration of the slightly older order with a view of a couple of Rollblocks in the siding at ET. These are I think mostly used for Sonderzuge Trains for enthusiasts and perhaps Ballast Trains? Though I would love to be proved wrong on that. That Kamel on the Passenger at the start was nearly clagging as much as the 99-7.

Paul yes he was on RC at times, I believe that when the Cab Lamp is Flashing that is an indication of RC in action. At the start where the Freight comes into view thee is no Flashing Light, then when the Train arrived at ET the guy on the Shunters Step in Orange had the RC Pack and was driving from it with the Light Flashing.

Still not sure about the Girlie Pink Rollblocks. Guess that they are different though.
JonD

Last edited:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I found this to be a fascinating pair of videos. Personally, I loved the pink rollblocks with the white wheel markings, very modern and functional. I wonder how many pink rollblocks will be appearing on layouts in the future.

David

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Very educational videos! Have the rollblocks brakes? I see the wagons are also coulpled with hoses and I think I saw hoses running to the rollblocks?
Is the brake system interfaced with that of the wagons they are carrying?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very educational videos! Have the rollblocks brakes? I see the wagons are also coulpled with hoses and I think I saw hoses running to the rollblocks?
Henri the Cable in front of the Loco is the one that connects the Rollblocks which have their own Brakes. If you look carefully beneath the Open Wagons you can see Cable Runs which will be the Connections between each Rollblock.
JonD

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting that the hoppers are registered to Pro-Rail in Holland - quite a journey to make for a load of ballast!!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
That's the integrated EU for you Keith! Probably a 'contract'. Any development/building contract in the EU worth over 5 million euros has to be advertised across the whole EU and tenders invited.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I would think so, you wouldn't want those loaded wagons on any kind of incline without brakes.
I like the use of sprung points (Rückfallweichen) with the yellow point levers.
It would be a modelling challenge to make a working standard gauge/narrow gauge interface as shown at the end of the first video, automatically freeing up the pink trucks.
Excellent videos, good find Alan.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of fascinating videos, Alan!

Just to put on my Captain Pedant hat yet again, and correct a typo that has spread throughout this thread, they are rollBOCKS, not rollBLOCKS..... ;)

Jon.

Reactions: 2 users

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of fascinating videos, Alan!

Just to put on my Captain Pedant hat yet again, and correct a typo that has spread throughout this thread, they are rollBOCKS, not rollBLOCKS..... ;)

Jon.
Indeed they are and indeed my legandry spelling errors come to the fore again. Best I do not get going about Playmobile!
JonD

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
How about this then: Rollbocks on N scale metre-gauge (Nm = 6mm gauge)

Transfer to standard gauge:

Transfer to narrow gauge:

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of amazing little vids, Nick.... I'm quite astonished that they can get Z gauge mechanisms (which is what I assume the Nm locos are built on?) to run that smoothly/slowly - is it on DCC?

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of amazing little vids, Nick.... I'm quite astonished that they can get Z gauge mechanisms (which is what I assume the Nm locos are built on?) to run that smoothly/slowly - is it on DCC?

Jon.
Don't know if that's DCC or DC. Very smooth slow running whatever it is. I have a few items of Z gauge and they run very well, the newer 5 pole motored locos noticeably better than the original 3-pole. I think the Marklin Z controller has PWM tuned to suit the motor characteristics (it's actually also very good for testing my N gauge locos too!)

Yeah some Nm are built on Marklin Z mechs, but there are also a few artisan firms making expensive (brass?) Nm locos and stock. This one was at Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago, I can vouch for it running very nicely indeed!
maxresdefault.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift!

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
FYI here is the equivalent on the Zillertal.
The gauge transfer sequence is about 14mins in.
Prior to that it shows diesel loco and DMU sequences, after the shunting sequence is shows steam locos. Nice video IMO.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Latest Modern Railways announces that the ZB is due to be Electrified at a cost of €20 Million for the overhead and perhaps another €60 Million for new Rolling Stock. With the GW Cost Overuns and Deferals Juicing up the line (like costs will go down) perhaps UK should be subbing to whoever is doing it in Austria.

Oh and same article suggests that the Freight has now dissapeared after RailCargo decided to pull out of Wagon Load Traffic. I imagine that would have been quite a blow to the ZB as they had invested heavily in new Diesels not too many Years back to assist with Freight.
JonD

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I'd heard about the electrification. Pity as I like the diesels, maybe they'll keep some for heritage runs! Pity also about the freight traffic, I always think mixed freight and passenger makes a proper railway.

Don't get me started on how we get fleeced in the UK on the cost of railway infrastructure...