idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I'm keen to hear how the programming works, in particular if you can read a CV, have you tried that yet?

Lodgie_

Registered
29 Jan 2020
Yaiza
Best answers
Country flag
but on the face of it, something does not make sense.

Greg

I own up. I'm an idiot. New system default setting is 28 steps.
Played around with it a bit more today, setting up the loco 'library' and that gives the speed step options for which starts at the default of 28.
[/QUOTE]

Lodgie_

Registered
29 Jan 2020
Yaiza
Best answers
Country flag
Thinking of purchasing the Ml-train dcc system as a replacement for my lgb mts2.
Anyone tried it?
Do you know if it will run non DCC loco's like the MTS on channel 00?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I don't 'know' it will run an analogue loco on 'address 0'..

But ALL DCC systems should support this feature. - Though some manufacturer's may not implement it??

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, a little confused about your statement.

So your opinion that all manufacturers should support the "address 0" pulse stretching? Fewer and fewer do, claiming that it's bad for the motors (it is) and very poor running (it is), and motory only decoders are cheap (they are).

If you meant all DCC DECODERS, then, all the decoders I have tried this on seem to work, since they think they are getting DC..... crappy DC, but DC... ;)

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Phil, a little confused about your statement.

So your opinion that all manufacturers should support the "address 0" pulse stretching? Fewer and fewer do, claiming that it's bad for the motors (it is) and very poor running (it is), and motory only decoders are cheap (they are).

If you meant all DCC DECODERS, then, all the decoders I have tried this on seem to work, since they think they are getting DC..... crappy DC, but DC... ;)

Greg

I agree, it is a 'orrible thing to do!
BUT, as I understand it, it is in the NMRA specifications.. Therefore it should be there, until the NMRA say 'not'..

i always try to persuade anyone not to do it, if at all possible..
OK for a test of an analogue loco. - IF you do not have an analogue controller / bench supply. ?Why not?

If you really-must run the loco:
Then for a short-time, and never leave it sitting, on-track, buzzing-away.. - It has a switch. Use it!

I agree my use of English was a little sloppy.. I have not found a decoder which does not support it (yet). but, as you say, some manufacturers are removing the functionality from their CS's.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh a small correction, pulse stretching is in the NMRA specification as an OPTIONAL feature, not a required feature.

By contrast, REQUIRING a removal of power from the programming track to complete a CV modification VIOLATES the DCC specification.

There are very few requirements in the spec, and it never ceases to surprise me how even these aren't always followed, and how few manufacturers get their products NMRA approved, but it's our fault as consumers (in the US at least) in not pressuring them to get approved. But that's politics to a certain degree too.

The "address 0" support is disappearing from US made equipment. We don't feel the "legacy" of this and 14 speed steps as strongly as Europe, quite logically.

All understandable in terms of history and the market, although, the MFX stuff is muddying the waters in my opinion, when I would prefer more people support RailComm.... but that's just me ha ha.

Greg

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I have just purchased this system. I too am having problems inputting the password into the Z21. I have found English instructions.
otherwise it can according to the instructions programme everything you could wish for on the main track.
you can have 1-99 loco addresses Greg.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
The manufactor of those is MD-electronics. I use 14 switch decoders and have 1 small decoder for a simple loco and just bought three XL-decoder and a programmer for that. I struggle with programming decoder, doesn't matter what system I'm using, I gave up my LGB MTS and use for the big museums G-scale tram layout in Hannover digitrax, my own layout runs with Massoth, The same as my friend garden layout does. During the last 10 days, I tried to programm a decoder for my tram. See here, please: Test board for tram lightning. But I'm a beginner in using things on a decoder, what means more than only running a loco and switch on lights. For anyone who is more into it, the MD-programmer must be usefull.

By the way here the internet address, for his shop: Shop MD.electronics.de. It lokks like, that it is only in German, but the instruction come also with the products in English and you can download the instructions. If you look under "Angebot", you will find the offer for a set. If you need help with the site, please ask.
Peter

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I have got the passwords for the MD zXion and my WiFi sorted but I have tried both 192.168.111.111 and 192.168.0.111 as the central station IP address but neither work......

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You may have to set your computer and possibly your router to work with those "subnets"...

for example, if your computers work on 192.168.0.x, then your computer can have difficulty communicating with 192.168.111.x

can you ping the ip address at all?

Greg

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Mm. The instructions don’t talk about subnets
The instructions tell you to enter the number I have quoted above so that the central station can take commands from the handset. I don’t know why there are two different IP addresses stated in the same instruction book. Im not sure what you mean by “can you ping the IP address”

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Hmm! Reference to IP Address, this is your own Home IP Address, will be something similar to 192.168.1.1, info card supplied with your router will provide correct IP Address.

Connection to router, depending on your service provider and security level on the router, manual connection may NOT be authorised, as in trying to attach by NOT using WPS.

You may require admin access to your own router to change access levels and to also apply fixed IP addressing to individual devices.

See attached, all devices are Authorised and have fixed IP addresses.

Devices.PNG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. I shall try that.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Still not working !!
Suffice to say my head is "mashed"
I have followed the instructions supplied with the unit to the letter.
I have tried to input my own broadband router IP address in - no change.

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Well it turned from Germany far quicker than anything I've ordered from UK suppliers, so top marks for service from Modell and.
Had a minor problem in that the handset requires a password to connect to the command unit. Instructions for that bit were stressed in German but not in English. Took a while but finally sussed it out and I can run trains again.
Very smooth low speed operations, far better than the LGB Mts2 I've had for 15 years.
Track power is 24v with a peak power of 8amps, which is OK for most of my stuff. Haven't tried it yet with the two USAT big diesels so we'll try that tomorrow.
The ROCO handset is simple and easy to use once it connected itself, and just for fun I've installed the z21 app on my phone which also controls locos and switches easy enough.
Command station came with its own WiFi unit which was simple to install.

Hi Steve

What IP address did you enter ?
(The one for the central station) The instructions say 192.168.111.111 - but that would appear to be the IP address of a Z21 central station, not the handset.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
From the top...
a) using as a self contained stand alone unit, as a Wi-Fi access point, as a self contained stand alone WLAN, no internet connection, and no direct link or access via your home network.

b) or as part of your own home Network, devices are part of your home network with access to the internet.

The setting up procedure is different for the two options, and entering IP address's etc will only work correctly if the configurations for either option is correct, cannot mix and match IP addresses across the two options.

Statring from scratch.....

Power on CS and WLAN adaptor, then from a computer or mobile phone, scan for networks.

Does the following Network name (SSID) appear as a listed access point?, if so, so far so good, connect to the (SSID) and enter the password, connection is now established all is working as it should.

Once a connection is proven, then move to the next stage.... depending on options (a) or (b) ...........

If not, go back, recheck connections, cables etc...

MD.PNG

The setting up procedure is exactly the same as using a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino as a DCC Central Station, as either a stand alone Wi-Fi access point or part and parcel of a home network, different hardware, same principle!

Last edited:

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
Connections have been made:
The MD mXion is connected via password “MDELEC1207” the aerial symbol confirms that is done.
The WiFi is connected (Vodafone in my case) and the password carefully entered with caps on/ off as necessary.
The instructions that came with the unit from Modell-land specifically tell you to change the IP address to 192.168.0.111 in one section but then in another instruction tell you to change the IP address to 192.168.111.111.
I have tried both after numerous resets of the whole unit.
neither work and I still have both direction arrows and pause flashing which means trains cannot be operated !
I have also entered my Vodafone IP address. Still no joy

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Part of an email from one of my German friends...

After starting the control centre, switch on the WLANMAUS. Then under Settings ➔ Reset ➔ System settings, the mouse is reset once, then restarted and guided through the guide.

Select the network mXion MZSpro and type in the password, the display always shows capital letters, but ONLY if there is an arrow in the display (shift key).

Password is MDELEC1207 (switch off Shift again for numbers, arrow goes away. The arrow can be seen at the bottom right next to ABC!).

**Then the WLANMAUS connects to the control centre, the pause symbol and the double arrows flash after the connection.**

Then you have to change the IP to 192.168.0.111 under Settings ➔ WLAN ➔ Z21-IP address. Then everything works as expected. If the control centre has been switched off, the mouse also has to be switched off, the mouse does not like it when the WLAN breaks down and then comes back.

Therefore, it is better to restart the mouse when restarting the control centre.

Last edited: