Ml-train dcc system

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Welsh Valleys, near Newport
Best answers
Thinking of purchasing the Ml-train dcc system as a replacement for my lgb mts2.
Anyone tried it?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Cute thing, where your tablet shows the backhead of a real loco, and you use your finger to move levers and turn valves. I guess that is the Z21 app.

Not at all a good way to run a model train, you can see how tough it was to rotate the valve wheel.

8 amps power, nice, but only 50 locos, that is nuts. I suspect you cannot call a loco out by it's road number, the easiest thing to do. So you have to scroll through all your locos? Just slow, but for many people with only a few locos may be ok.

Greg

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
I run a max of 3 locos on the road at a time, and only have 19 locos in total.
Don't plan on useing a tablet or phone just the handset

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would look into the programming capabilities... I did a translate of the page, clearly it has POM (programming on the main), but it was not clear if it had service mode (the "programming track").

I would not buy any system without service mode. Also you want to be sure it can program higher numbered CV's like in the 300's and 400's...

Lastly, how is your German? Wait, looks like the manuals are in English too... good.

Greg

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks for the reply. Bit the bullet and ordered it.
Let you know how I get on.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I would look into the programming capabilities... I did a translate of the page, clearly it has POM (programming on the main), but it was not clear if it had service mode (the "programming track")...
I couldn't see a separate programming track outlet on the command station, but it does claim you can read CVs

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
Well it turned from Germany far quicker than anything I've ordered from UK suppliers, so top marks for service from Modell and.
Had a minor problem in that the handset requires a password to connect to the command unit. Instructions for that bit were stressed in German but not in English. Took a while but finally sussed it out and I can run trains again.
Very smooth low speed operations, far better than the LGB Mts2 I've had for 15 years.
Track power is 24v with a peak power of 8amps, which is OK for most of my stuff. Haven't tried it yet with the two USAT big diesels so we'll try that tomorrow.
The ROCO handset is simple and easy to use once it connected itself, and just for fun I've installed the z21 app on my phone which also controls locos and switches easy enough.
Command station came with its own WiFi unit which was simple to install.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like you are a happy customer so far. Modell-land are a top notch web retailer.

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
I would assume better low speed operations is the result of using more speed steps? Are you running 28 or 128? Was your MTS on 14?

Greg
Mts was on 14 , but I'm still on that with the new system as well. Noticeably better. When I get round to it I'll try them on 28

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure how commercial manufacturers do it, if at all, but when I started doing my own remote control units I found that a linear PCM scale of 1 to 18 (chosen to represent approximately 1 to 18 mph for my steam loco requirements) wasn't much use, the loco wouldn't move until say 8 which effectively wasted 7 steps.

I change the software such that the 1-18 steps from the controller was mathmatically corrected to the usable 8 - 18 steps of the loco such that the 1st step caused some movement (one line of code for Arduino or ESP8266). A much better speed control experience in my opinion.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Not sure how commercial manufacturers do it, if at all, but when I started doing my own remote control units I found that a linear PCM scale of 1 to 18 (chosen to represent approximately 1 to 18 mph for my steam loco requirements) wasn't much use, the loco wouldn't move until say 8 which effectively wasted 7 steps.

I change the software such that the 1-18 steps from the controller was mathmatically corrected to the usable 8 - 18 steps of the loco such that the 1st step caused some movement (one line of code for Arduino or ESP8266). A much better speed control experience in my opinion.
In DCC terms you are describing the "starting voltage" which is the voltage ascribed to speed step 1, so that the loco will actually move however slowly at the first notch. This is a standard feature of all decoders. From there you can use linear scales as you have, or describe your own speed curve in 28 steps.

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
In DCC terms you are describing the "starting voltage" which is the voltage ascribed to speed step 1, so that the loco will actually move however slowly at the first notch. This is a standard feature of all decoders. From there you can use linear scales as you have, or describe your own speed curve in 28 steps.

Thanks for clarifying that.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
2 controllers working at 14 speed steps should work identically, it's the decoder that takes the command and translates it into the "voltage". So it does not matter what controller is issuing the "go to speed step 6", the results will be the same.

So, there should be no difference between your 2 systems on the same decoder.

Any differences could be different voltage on the track, or some kind of built in momentum in the throttle, but on the face of it, something does not make sense.

Greg

laney

Model Rail
2 Feb 2010
Best answers
but on the face of it, something does not make sense.

Greg
[/QUOTE]

I own up. I'm an idiot. New system default setting is 28 steps.
Played around with it a bit more today, setting up the loco 'library' and that gives the speed step options for which starts at the default of 28.