Mk 1 coach in G

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
that looks like if it could become a fine model.
But the small scale layout in the background looks good, too!!!!

Greetings

Frank

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
John
The mk1s sides are flat the body curves in from the windows down so the roof edges are wider than the floor, the profile of the ends of your coach look more like gresley (Flying scotsman) type coaches the curve gets tighter as the sides get lower almost to the point of tucking in flat and then you have the exposed chassis rail. the mk2 has the same profile but the bottom of the curve covers the chassis rail
Hope this helps keep up the great work
tony

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Quite remarable! While some are crying in their beer (having spent a couple of grand to see their team lose) you get on with something useful. You are a prolific modelmaker! I wondered what you were going to build next - now I know! Can't wait to see further postings. I notice you enlarge or copy drawings to the size you want. I do the same (do you use the PC like I do?). Great job.

Mick

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Which type of coach are you making. I've got a load of the Bachmann Mk1's so could take a few pics if you like?

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
RJR said:
its the mark 1 non gangway, as in lots of doors down the side

Hi John
Thats called a subburban ? you mean seperate compartments you have to go outside to get into the next with 2 bench seats facing each other and a door both sides, thats got to be the hardest one to start with but i have no doubt

Tony

Gareth

Railways,Transport, Wildlife ,History
28 Oct 2009
N West Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Looks interesting what bogies are you using are they the LGB Rhb coach bogies and if so where did you get them

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It just gets better and better.
I will be very interested in how you curve the roof over the tops of the windows.
A while ago I bought an RhB van body with a view to converting it into a small electric loco but I haven't a clue as to how I will get the roof to stay the right shape.
All agog.:D

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
John the profile looks spot on top man top job
i have wonderfull memories going to school in suburban coaches in the sixties
only one thing not really worth a mention but. no i wont say anything

Tony

oh ok then
while prob not unheard of but a 25 pulling a subburban coach would not have been a common sight so you will have to next build a couple of suburban EMU or DMU end units to fit either end

No you are correct john im being far to picky rule 8 and all that

298.jpg
" border="0" />

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Fantastic John,

I dont know how you keep the card so clean, I always get marks all over it

You said -> Two reasons I have made the side up in sections,
1) they are easier to handle
2) I wanted to get the doors to look like they are separate.

Now if I were doing it there would be a third reason
3) so when my hand slipped & a window ended up less than square I could discard just a short bit & not the whole side :rofl:

Q? do you shamfer the door edges so as not to loose the joint when paint is applied?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:
Fantastic John,
I dont know how you keep the card so clean, I always get marks all over it
I've worked this one out, Don.
John works so damn fast that there isn't time for the dust to settle, or the muck to stick !
I wish I was that neat.

Keep up the good work, John !

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Gutter as roof

I tried it 6 years ago when I built this coach, its 30 ins long

the gutter was too round, so I made a thick wood insert smaller than the coach width,

left about 3/4 inch gap at peak of roof, drilled through roof & wood at about 4 inch intervals along the centreline

inserted bolts & nuts & tightened up gradually till it got to the right shape / width

Hot water has no effect on this plastic its built to resist the suns heat

It worked as the outer bolt heads were disguised as vents

But

the construction method added too much weight & too high up

81bc96fc73f34fdcae4c238716be1c59.jpg

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
How do you get such neat cuts in plasticard, mine just seem to wander about.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
RJR said:
Alpineandy said:
How do you get such neat cuts in plasticard, mine just seem to wander about.

I'm sure others have better answers but I find my cuts wander when I'm lazy and try and cut plastic rather than take my time and score it.

Use a decent steel rule, and a sharp blade. Make shallow light movements to score the top surface of the plastic then applying pressure from behind the cut snap the plastic along the score. You don't need to cut it all the way through. That takes longer and usually results in less than straight lines.

Windows are the same, score the 4 sides, usually a score only needs to be half the depth of the plastic.
Once the scoring is done, start at one corner and score to the centre, repeat for all 4 corners until the diagonal scores go all the way through creating a "diagonal cross" the 4 triangles formed can now be snapped out along the scored edges.

If anyone not use to using plasticard would be interested I could do some "how tos" with pictures, but I don't want to teach my grandma to suck eggs.
I would greatly welcome any "how to" pics and details please.

Granitechops

24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
Yes please, a how to, step by step

one thing I have found is that when doing longer cuts, it pays to CLAMP the straight edge while scoring, saves blade wandering when edge slips while concentrating on the blade,

slows things up though, but you dont have to do it a second time :clap:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
This really is a great thread and now we will get a blow by blow account of cutting plasticard! what I need is a tutorial on how to get the blood stains off plasticard....................................

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
The term "Balloon coach" usually refers to push pull coaches that were common on the LBSCR, usually one or two coupled to a Terrier, E4 or similar. The LBSCR coaching stoch had a small loading guage (one of the reasons ex London Underground stock was sent to the Isle of Wight to replace the ex LBSCR coaches that ran until the demnise of steam.

There were some main line sets also.

The Balloon coaches were large by comparison and had a bloated appearence so hence the name.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Granitechops said:
Yes please, a how to, step by step

one thing I have found is that when doing longer cuts, it pays to CLAMP the straight edge while scoring, saves blade wandering when edge slips while concentrating on the blade,

slows things up though, but you dont have to do it a second time :clap:

Also, never, never, never cut along the bevelled edge of a straightedge unless you really want to lose the end of a finger!! :-:crying:
Use only the right angled flat side.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
This really is astonishing.