Best answers

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Bowling G,

I purchased my connectors (suitable for fitting the Aristo loco plugs) and batteries from a racing car shop. He had many types of connectors.

If it is for an Aristo loco make sure the new connector is connected with the correct polarity as some connectors are reverse polarity. If your dealer is worth his salt he will check it out for you.

Claude Hamilton

Scottish Railway History particularly Caledonian R
6 Jan 2010
Perthshire
Best answers

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
With respect ( many posters on the Forum do this from time to time), I see no point in recommending stores in the USA when items are freely available in the UK. ;)

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
I seem to remember that when I needed some connectors of the approx size mentioned earlier, I bought them of the peg so to speak at my local Maplin branch:clap:

Westcott said:
I think mini Tamiya connectors might be what you want.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pre-Wired-Tam...sGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item2a04402c0d
8 amps is quite a high current, what are you powering?

I agree with the comment and the question. For these currents, the model car boys are your friends. Tamiya connectors as recommended by several here and they would do the job. One issue I have found is the flexibility of the cables between the vehicles and you will need some decent cross-section cable along the whole run at 8 Amps. The silicone insulated wire which should come on the connectors is more flexible than the PVC coated wire and will work at higher temperature too.

I too would like to know what the loco is.

I would want to make sure the circuit is well protected against shorts too, because I have heard stories of nasty fires (never had a fire but had some very warm batteries occasionally). Again you are moving a lot of energy around at 8 Amps. A standard fuse or a non-self-resetting breaker right next to the positive battery terminal would be a requirement for me.

Hope this helps and I am not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs - but also we never know who else is reading this so better safe than sorry.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
BG,

I have RS3 locos. All who have Aristo locos will tell you that they are quite frugal in their amperage draw. I don't know whether you are a user of the Aristo Train Engineer (27Mhz. version) or familiar with it but it has a 10Amp fuse in the receiver. Friends in the United States who operate using totally battery power recommend lowering this to 5Amp.
Now we know it is an Aristo RS3 that you have I am sure more information and help will be posted.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Westcott said:
I think mini Tamiya connectors might be what you want.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pre-Wired-Tam...sGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item2a04402c0d
8 amps is quite a high current, what are you powering?

Those Tamiya connectors aren't that mini (they are described as large connectors lower down the page). I used them on my boxcab, they are about 2" (5cm) long:

44628e4ff350404584c5c9556e762369.jpg

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
This is an Aristo-Craft RS3 loco. If you look at the Aristo catalog on their web site you will get details.
0450d83c0180408385cf3fb2f726564d.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag

WKDOR

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Welsh Marches
Best answers
Country flag
Thought I'd be first to revamp this in 2011.

I failed to find any miniature connectors to match Aristo in UK when I last looked and had to buy mine from Tony Walsham at RCS in Oz. This is what they look like

c8159b90d8f34016bb88e38b74e730b5.jpg

Small, Black, Lockable, Paired M & F, polarity, 2-pins with 22 AWG leads. Freely available in US too.

Now I need some wih 4-pins I've been round this loop again and still can't find any in UK after hours scouring the above usual suspects - Maplins, RS, Farnell, Rapid, Brian Jones.

My only hope now is GSC and in particular Alan Lott who said he'd found some last year.

Has anybody seen any please?

Mike

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Mike,

One or two of us mentioned model racing car shops. They usually have many types of connectors. There seem to be more of them in the UK than large scale railway dealers.

Anyway you have obtained what you needed even if it was from afar. :D