MFX and other digital systems

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Going to go and see whats what at York on Saturday, and if I like it I have worked out that I need;
60101 power supply, 60216 CS3. I have a tablet etc, and just need the app to go on it. So at around £670ish, I don't think this is too bad.

Reactions: 1 user

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Once I have initially got the basic set up running, I am wanting to add point motors to my points, which I presume will be controllable from the CS3. Is it a different way with this system, or does it still use Switch Decoders, I cannot see anything obvious in the manual on how to do this.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry for not answering sooner.

For Jon's question - the Lokpilot XL V4.0 operates with the mfx protocol on the CS3. As an aside, the decoder defaulted with the shunting mode enabled. Activating the "turtle" function button on the CS3 causes the speed control range to change from normal to a very slow range. Could be quite useful in the future "fiddle yard".

To answer Duncan - I have Comcast broadband over cable for internet access. I have an Apple Extreme wireless router connected to Comcast's cable modem. The Apple router also has standard RJ45 hardwire LAN ports available in addition to wireless access. The CS3 is plugged into a LAN wall jack with a standard twisted pair RJ45 ethernet cable. The wall jack is connected to the Apple router with physical Cat. 5e ethernet cable through one of the router's LAN ports. I like using the Apple router for security reasons. Devices can only access the wireless network if their hardware MAC address is registered by me with the router. This is an additional layer of security beyond the password security.

I should mention that our house was remodeled about 10 years ago. As part of the remodel, new telephone lines were run using Cat. 5e ethernet twisted pair cable instead of 4 conductor phone cable. I was able to use one of these "telephone" lines for the network connection by changing out the telephone wall jack for a RJ45 ethernet wall jack and making the appropriate RJ45 connector changes at the other end so it could plug into the router. The Apple router is located next to the telephone punchdown block in the basement so it was easy to reroute the cable. Others out there may be able to do something similar to get a hardwired network connection without running a new ethernet cable.

Phil

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Duncan - I still did not directly answer your question. Yes, the CS3 is, for all practical purposes, permanently connected to the Apple Extreme router and thus, when powered up, the ethernet world beyond. I'm sure the NSA could hijack my trains, but I think my home network is fairly secure from mere mortals.

I am using an Apple iPhone 6s to run the Marklin Mobile App (wireless controller app). Display brightness is not an issue for me although, I suppose it could be a problem with older phones. I had no difficulty using it in bright Winter sunshine. I'm assuming the current crop of Samsung, LG, etc. smartphones have displays similar to the iPhone 6s in brightness.

Phil

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Duncan - I still did not directly answer your question. Yes, the CS3 is, for all practical purposes, permanently connected to the Apple Extreme router and thus, when powered up, the ethernet world beyond. I'm sure the NSA could hijack my trains, but I think my home network is fairly secure from mere mortals.

I am using an Apple iPhone 6s to run the Marklin Mobile App (wireless controller app). Display brightness is not an issue for me although, I suppose it could be a problem with older phones. I had no difficulty using it in bright Winter sunshine. I'm assuming the current crop of Samsung, LG, etc. smartphones have displays similar to the iPhone 6s in brightness.

Phil
For your points, what equipment is needed to make them work with this, once you get sorted of course?

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I bought a few LGB 55025's to try out with the CS3. I was going to work on them tonight but got distracted which I find happening more and more lately. I'll provide an update when I know more.

Phil

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You use the 'standard' LGB or Massoth point decoders with your CS3..

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I'm going to start a new thread for my experiences with the CS3

PhilS

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Good idea. look forward to seeing it.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You use the 'standard' LGB or Massoth point decoders with your CS3..
And program them through the CS3 from the programming connection on the back?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
LGB/Massoth aren't the only options for point decoders - though at least they are weather-proof compared to some. For LGB/Piko point motors you need a decoder which can drive a reversible DC output. For example I use NCE SwitchKats (originally for Kato small scale point motors), these are bare boards which I sealed in small project boxes.

Whatever programming method is needed for the point decoder obviously needs to be supported by the CS3. That might be by setting CVs on a programming output or it might be programmed on the main track with the use of a jumper connection or switch to tell the decoder to listen for and store the next accessory address sent out (that's how SwitchKats do it).

I don't know whether MFX has its own protocol for point decoders, or can you set it to use the DCC accessory decoder protocol? If the latter, is that globally or on a device-by-device basis so you can mix-and-match?

I would assume the above questions/complications are all surmountable otherwise Maerklin are really shooting themselves in the foot. I can't imagine many existing DCC operator would want to have to replace all their accessories, just like no-one wants to have to replace all their loco decoders.

Last edited:

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
And program them through the CS3 from the programming connection on the back?
Hi Duncan,

Hi Duncan, You use the programming socket at the back of the CS. The CS comes with a couple of plugs. One for programming and the other to connect the CS to your track.

Martin

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know whether MFX has its own protocol for point decoders, or can you set it to use the DCC accessory decoder protocol? If the latter, is that globally or on a device-by-device basis so you can mix-and-match?
To answer my own question, having had a quick read through the CS3 instruction manual online, it looks like you can set accessories as either Motorola or DCC protocol on a per-device basis. Good. Not keen that they seem to want to refer to things as "solenoid items" but hey-ho.

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
To answer my own question, having had a quick read through the CS3 instruction manual online, it looks like you can set accessories as either Motorola or DCC protocol on a per-device basis. Good. Not keen that they seem to want to refer to things as "solenoid items" but hey-ho.
That might be why my initial read of the instructions confused me. Its easily done. Look how confused I got doing points on my dads layout last year with Masoth