MerchSource LLC train bash with playmobil

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
I found this MerchSource LLC train (AKA "Blue Hat North Pole Junction Christmas Train" ) for about $1. I liked the sound system and thought that if nothing else I could re-use the sound system in another train:
IMG_7638.JPG
But I had an extra playmobil cabin and thought I might try to do this to improve the appearance and make it useful:
IMG_7639.JPGIMG_7640.JPG
It seems to fit well without any modifications to the playmobil cabin... I only modified the boiler and chassis of the $1 train.
IMG_7643.JPG
I was thinking of adding all sorts of detail( repainting it, adding firebox lighting, steps, more LED's, etc.) but then I discovered a problem I should have checked for before starting:
IMG_7641.JPG
The wheels don't fit on G-scale track! I don't know if I can shorten the axles because the wheels are so close to the motorblock. For $1, If I can't make the wheels fit on g-scale track, at least I can harvest the sound system. I'm glad I didn't need to modify the playmobil cabin in case I can't use this train.

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
There was not much room to work with:
IMG_7644.JPG
I was able to make the wheels fit on the track by shortening the axle and cutting off the wheel nubs.
IMG_7645.JPGIMG_7646.JPG
However this does not allow the wheels to shift in curves... so the gears lock up on curves.... This will have to be either for straight track only, or I need to decrease the size of the motorblock to allow the wheels to have some play for the curves. I'm not sure if it's worth it to continue.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 280929
I was able to make the wheels fit on the track by shortening the axle and cutting off the wheel nubs.
View attachment 280928View attachment 280927
However this does not allow the wheels to shift in curves... so the gears lock up on curves.... This will have to be either for straight track only, or I need to decrease the size of the motorblock to allow the wheels to have some play for the curves. I'm not sure if it's worth it to continue.
Its worth a try for the sake of a $1,if all else fails you still have the sound.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 280929
View attachment 280928View attachment 280927

Why not remove the flange on the middle wheelset? If it retains what seems like traction tyres you could always glue them on. Just a thought!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If all else fails, weather and rust it, then put it in a siding as a derelict scrapper..

PhilP

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
Why not remove the flange on the middle wheelset? If it retains what seems like traction tyres you could always glue them on. Just a thought!
I had the same idea earlier today about removing the flanges after looking at a Bachmann Big Hauler. I tried rolling it on the track with one wheel set temporarily removed and it did seem better on curves, though not entirely great. I also thought about shortening the train to an 0-4-0 so it would run better, but it seems too much work for too little of a result.. It's not RC, and it only runs forward at one speed with a struggling gear system... This train actually runs better without the traction tires. The tire is so thick that it makes the wheels in front of it elevate off of the track. The batteries make it rear heavy and there's no weights in the front, so with the thick traction tires on it's poppin wheelies endlessly. The little wheels in front made things worse before I reduced things where the wheel holder meets the chassis. Without the traction tire, all of the wheels now touch the track. The train is very poorly designed; it's as if every step in the development process was an after-thought unaccounted for in the prior specifications. The only thing getting traction tires here is PhilP's idea.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I had the same idea earlier today about removing the flanges after looking at a Bachmann Big Hauler. I tried rolling it on the track with one wheel set temporarily removed and it did seem better on curves, though not entirely great. I also thought about shortening the train to an 0-4-0 so it would run better, but it seems too much work for too little of a result.. It's not RC, and it only runs forward at one speed with a struggling gear system... This train actually runs better without the traction tires. The tire is so thick that it makes the wheels in front of it elevate off of the track. The batteries make it rear heavy and there's no weights in the front, so with the thick traction tires on it's poppin wheelies endlessly. The little wheels in front made things worse before I reduced things where the wheel holder meets the chassis. Without the traction tire, all of the wheels now touch the track. The train is very poorly designed; it's as if every step in the development process was an after-thought unaccounted for in the prior specifications. The only thing getting traction tires here is PhilP's idea.

I think most manufacturers have after-thoughts (talking of brand leaders there)!