Massoth Z1200 failure

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Help required please.

My Z1200 is acting strangely. I switch it on, it runs through the startup sequence as it should, the green light then comes on, as it should. The screen is showing all of the information as it should. But, there is no power going to the track.

I have tried reading the decoders, that works, but, no track power. I've tried shorting the track but,it's totally dead.

Anyone any ideas??????????? It's got me mystified.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
First thing you should do:

- Check firmware, is it updated to the latest version?

If it is, ask yourself the question: "Did I ever have that problem before with an other software version?
- YES = hardware problem?
- NO = software problem?

If you've never had that before, there's a chance there's a bug in the latest software you downloaded. Downgrade to the software you had before and see if the problem still occurs.

bigjack

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
No, never had any problems at all with the unit. It has always worked well.

Seems strange that everthing seems to work, except power to the track.

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
bigjack said:
Help required please.

My Z1200 is acting strangely. I switch it on, it runs through the startup sequence as it should, the green light then comes on, as it should. The screen is showing all of the information as it should. But, there is no power going to the track.

I have tried reading the decoders, that works, but, no track power. I've tried shorting the track but,it's totally dead.

Anyone any ideas??????????? It's got me mystified.
I have never had anything like this, but here is what I would try initially.

Do what Sherlock Holmes does when he is baffled, but first, not last. 'Once you have eliminated the possible, it must be the impossible'. Has your track been reconnected to the 1200Z programming output instead of the track output?
Not forgetting the traditional solution. Switch off, disconnect from the mains, have a cup of tea / coffee and try again.

Assuming the track is connected correctly what output voltage is the 1200Z set at?
Do you have access to a voltmeter to check the output?

Don

bigjack

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The voltage is set to 24v, but, there is no voltage reaching the track. I've tested the powar lead from the Z1200 to the track, that's OK.

I'm baffled

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
bigjack said:
The voltage is set to 24v, but, there is no voltage reaching the track. I've tested the powar lead from the Z1200 to the track, that's OK.

I'm baffled
Its quite possible there is an internal fault, but I assume that before the expense of getting professional help you would like to ensure that its not something that the user can reset.

1. Have you tried the power cycle (switch off, leave, try again routine)?
2. How do you know there is no voltage at the track? If you can read decoders then there certainly is a signal reaching the track. It may not be enough to power a loco but there will be some voltage there.
3. Try setting the output to another voltage in case that makes any difference.
4. Have you tried shorting the output at the 1200Z? What happens?

Don

E

Elmtree Line

Is it set in Analogue mode with you trying to run DCC ?

Is CV1 set to 0 ? factory reset doesn't always do this correctly.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Steve,

It sounds to me that there is a fault with one of the outputs on the internal power supply.

Do you have another source of power that you can use (i.e. LGB transformer)? Connect either a 12 to 18v AC or 16 to 24v DC power supply to the external power connections on the rear. This will disable the power switch and (hopefully) give you track power.

Unfortionatly you wont get any help from Massoth at the moment as they are taking their annual summer holiday (25 Jul - 5th Aug). I would suspect that it will need to be returned to them. I would lend you an MTS3 unit but its already on loan to Malcolm whilst his is in Germany.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Do the track wires disconnect easily from the unit?
If so remove them at check the output at the unit's terminals.

bigjack

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I'll give all these suggestions a try tomorrow. I have an Aristocraft 16v 3 amp supply that I can try. I'll let you know how I get on.

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
muns said:
Steve,

It sounds to me that there is a fault with one of the outputs on the internal power supply.

Do you have another source of power that you can use (i.e. LGB transformer)? Connect either a 12 to 18v AC or 16 to 24v DC power supply to the external power connections on the rear. This will disable the power switch and (hopefully) give you track power.
I'm not certain of the 1200Z internal circuitry but if you can read a decoder then I assume the 230V power supply is not at fault. But that depends . . .

So far as I am aware track power is a switched mode dc rather than mains supply frequency, but I really must get round to connecting my scope to the output to confirm.

But anything is worth trying.

Why not try an emergency stop and reset? Just to make sure that circuit is working normally.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
One other thing Steve,

Check the fuses!

[size=14pt]
The DiMAX® 1200Z Central Station may be powered by the internal transformer or an external
power source. The two power sources are separately fused. The fuses are accessible on
the back side of your DiMAX® 1200Z Central Station.
The fuses for the 230V power are located in the socket beneath the receptacle. 2 fuses
250V/2.5A are used (See Illustr. #2).
The external power is fused by a 12AT fuse located to the right of the 230V power socket.
[/size]

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
it may sound daft but is anything laying across the track to short it out. A screw driver, Garden fork etc

Tony

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
The only other daft thing has the emergency stop been activated, as the central station will reboot as last set!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just told Mizzy you've got problems with your 'Control System'.

Mizzy replied, 'What, Mary?'

I was going to ask if there were any internal fuses, but Mark has also asked this question....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Kepp us posted Steve, I hope it is just the fuses.
What was it you said last night Steve? " I am sitting here with four locos in action and life is sweet"... The gremlins were listening....they are always listening.......

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Any luck yet, Steve?
When you say you can read the decoders, do you mean on the main track or on the programming track? If it's on the main, then surely there must be SOME power getting to the track...... (not that I know much about the technical side, just asking the obvious questions.....).

Jon.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve , just wondering how your going on.?
I assume when you say you can read decoders you mean on the progrmming track.
wonder if its a soldered joint inside thats given way.
The transformer is obviously working

bigjack

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks. Thanks for all the assistance and suggestions. I left the unit alone for a while, then restarted it, and all is fine:clap: everything is working just as it should. Very baffling, can't work it out.

But one more question. I noticed that the fan doesn't seem to work, does it cut in and out, can't say that I've ever noticed

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
Best answers
Country flag
bigjack said:
But one more question. I noticed that the fan doesn't seem to work, does it cut in and out, can't say that I've ever noticed
Steve, Neither have I, will check in a bit.