Massoth XLS sound modul

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Not heard of an XLS that can't be reprogrammed, but not sure when they changed?? :think:

My association with Massoth started around 2012 (I reckon)?

I was initially thinking you were in France, but if you are in the UK, then I would be prepared to have a go at programming it for you?

PhilP.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
No I am in the UK worcestershire, i get up to whitchurch (shropshire) on occasions so i will se ehow i go i may take you up on your offer. (I was in France for 10 years hence the name)

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so i admit i forgot where Tamworth was.... your just an hour away from me Phill discounting any Motorway delay’s

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ok so i admit i forgot where Tamworth was.... your just an hour away from me Phill discounting any Motorway delay’s

Yep, no passport required! ;)

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well mine is still in date and i could keep clear of Birmingham.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Sigh, still cannot fathom some of the reasoning/advice presented here.

Purchasing a $15 USB to serial cord that is immediately and automatically recoginzed under Windows 10 is EASIER than creating a new partition, setting up dual boot, and then installing the entire XP operating system? (especially now that you cannot get service pak 1 or 2 from microsoft anymore, nor security updates, and the old IE browser won't work on modern web sites)

??

Reactions: 1 user

ACD134

Medically Retired, G scale and 71/4 in the garden.
7 May 2019
UNITED KINGDOM
Best answers
Country flag
Ah! So an older model, hence you want to use a dual-boot system..
If the Dual boot machine has a "real" RS232 port then it will work under Windows 10 or XP. If it doesn't would it not be easier to add an RS232 multi port card to the machine.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If the Dual boot machine has a "real" RS232 port then it will work under Windows 10 or XP. If it doesn't would it not be easier to add an RS232 multi port card to the machine.

Not necessarily.. If the machine has the 'wrong' (read, older) chipset, then there may not be drivers available (signed, or unsigned) for Windows 10. - Support for much hardware was dropped when Windows 10 was introduced.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Actually, the "older" chipsets for a serial port (i.e. the serial port(s) are on the motherboard) are still supported in windows 10, and they are the MOST compatible, since they have been there FOREVER (and have the least options that need support by a driver).

"real" serial ports have never been a problem in the hundreds of windows 10 installations I have done. (16450, 16550 integrated circuits)

see statement from Microsoft Win32_SerialPort class - Windows applications
scroll down to the 16450 and 16550 entries. (the 16450 was used in the IBM pc's in 1987, i.e. my statement supported FOREVER)

ACD134 is correct, and belies the question I keep asking, I cannot see the logic to consider creating a dual boot machine and installing XP in this case.

Greg

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I'm in agreement with you and ACD134. Some Serial-USB devices have unsigned drivers though and it's a real PITA getting Windows 10 to accept unsigned drivers although still possible.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well the pc is built operating systems installed, will be putting on programs next week so will let you know what i find out and what if any problems i find.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Hopefully this query isn't too much of a thread drift.
I use an old (pre 2006 LGB collapse) LGB badged 55045 interface unit. My computer now runs Win 10 and I have a working serial parallel converter between a USB port and the 55045. I update to the latest Massoth software as it becomes available and I can reprogram motor and function outputs satisfactorily. I can also reallocate sound functions but I have never downloaded a sound file as I was informed that to do so I needed a more modern interface unit. Until now I've always purchased Massoth decoders from a dealer who loads the requested sound file before dispatch. Is it safe for me to attempt a download without risking corrupting a perfectly good existing decoder ?

Last edited:

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
Well its not a thread drift to far, as that is exactly what i am hoping to be able to do.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hopefully this query isn't too much of a thread drift.
I use an old (pre 2006 LGB collapse) LGB badged 55045 interface unit. My computer now runs Win 10 and I have a working serial parallel converter between a USB port and the 55045. I update to the latest Massoth software as it becomes available and I can reprogram motor and function outputs satisfactorily. I can also reallocate sound functions but I have never downloaded a sound file as I was informed that to do so I needed a more modern interface unit. Until now I've always purchased Massoth decoders from a dealer who loads the requested sound file before dispatch. Is it safe for me to attempt a download without risking corrupting a perfectly good existing decoder ?
When I found the old 2017 thread on this subject @Arthur_Aardvark had a similar setup and he may have done this before but he seems to have disappeared off the forum.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I was hoping Muns may put in his expert five pence worth, on this thread but he may be on Holliday.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I haven’t got the pc up and running i think school holidays slowed up proceedings fingers crossed for this coming week.

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I'd like to correct/amplify/underscore some things on the USB to serial cable.

John said:

3) Serial to USB cable, again Windows 10 can and will throw a major strop, UNLESS the driver file has a digital signature that it recognises.
Easiest solution is to look for a Vendor who sells one that is Windows 10 Certified, this will save hours of tedious head scratching!

One the main companies that make the USB to serial integrated circuit, used in your USB to serial cable (it's small) is Prolific. Seems a company in China made a cheaper clone of this chip. So later official Prolific drivers were designed to try to lock out the illegal clones. That did not stop a lot since many people had the old driver and used that.

So Prolific and Microsoft went one step further, and Microsoft now directly loads and provides the official Prolific driver, thus "locking out" the clone cables.

The whole upshot is you or your friends may certainly have a USB to serial cable that "Worked before" and now does not. It's not the fault of Windows, they are supporting a legitimate company from being subject to intellectual theft and loss of profit.

So if you "original cable" used to work and now it does not, just get a new one, the "legal" ones are more expensive, the $2 ones are clones and won't work on Windows 10.

Greg

Railway42

LGB, Radio Control Model Boat, Electronics
28 Feb 2013
Cheddar
Best answers
Country flag
I have a Massoth DiMAX PC module and The Massoth Service Tool all running on Windows 10 Professional and have never had a problem