Massoth XLS sound modul

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I have a shay sound module is it possible to re program it for a LGB Rack steam loco or do i need to swap it for an appropriate unit?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, but you need the Massoth PC module to do this..

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I do have a PC module BUT i need to set my pc to duel boot so i can run Microsoft XP as most of my stuff is old school. If the new sound file are compatible.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
No i am going to set up a duel boot pc running windows 10 and also running windows XP. So i can run the old software for the PC module but i am not sure if the sounds are still available on the massoth website . Not looked yet sorry i should have first off.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
I AM HOPING THE MASSOTH software will run on windows XP still.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I use it on a Mac running XP in Parallels windows emulator.. It is fine

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I guess no one understands my question.

1. I assume the pc in question ALREADY runs windows 10
2. the "extra work" is adding a dual boot and installing XP
3. I asked if the Massoth PC module will run on windows 10 to avoid the extra work in #2

So still would like to know if the Massoth PC module can be run from windows 10

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I don't have the kit in question but the massoth documentation for 8175201 DiMAX PC Module USB says
”Connect the PC Module with the included USB cable to your PC. The integrated USB interface will be automatically recognized by Windows® XP - Windows® 10 and the previously installed driver will be used for the new interface.
The RS 232 chip type is
FT232B. The latest drivers can be found here:
www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm."
This implies to me that it works with Windows 10.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So still would like to know if the Massoth PC module can be run from windows 10

Yes it does, though there is the minor inconvenience (on some PC's) of needing a driver for the older RS232 chip..

I think the real query/worry from the OP is whether either his XLS can be firmware-upgraded to take the latest iteration of the particular sound-files et al?
OR
If he can find previous versions, of the firmware and sound-files, for his particular XLS?

It may also be, he prefers the older sound-files? - If these have changed? :think:

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
is it possible to re program it ... or do i need to swap it for an appropriate unit?

I may not know what I'm talking about but doesn't the version number of the XLS also have a bearing on whether the sound can be changed?

If I'm right, is it that the early "green" XLS boards cannot be reprogrammed, but the later "blue" ones can?

If I'm wrong (and, if that's the case, I'm sure someone will tell me), sorry for the interruption.

All the best

David

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would submit that updating your computer to have a dual boot and adding XP to be wasted energy.

Whether the computer has a real RS-232 port or not is independent of the operating system, same issue XP or Win 10

I would also submit Win 10 or XP would make no difference to whether a particular sound file could be sent to a particular decoder.

This was the source of my query: why make a dual boot machine.

Greg

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
If i understand thing’s correctly (not always guaranteed) the massoth software wont run on windows 10 so needs XP or a similar old operating system to run the programs.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If i understand thing’s correctly (not always guaranteed) the massoth software wont run on windows 10 so needs XP or a similar old operating system to run the programs.

Exactly which model number is your programmer?

Does it connect to the PC with a serial cable, or a USB cable?

If you have a USB-connected programmer, the latest version of the tool from the Massoth site should install with Windows 10 and work for you.

FrenchChuffed

Registered
27 Mar 2016
Droitwich Spa
Best answers
Country flag
It’s a 55045 module with a serial port. But the XLS sound module has a green board so may not be reprogrammable anyway

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It’s a 55045 module with a serial port. But the XLS sound module has a green board so may not be reprogrammable anyway

Ah! So an older model, hence you want to use a dual-boot system..

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I think whether you need an XP dual boot depends on your PC technical ability and how hard you want to try to get your LGB 55045 programmer to work under Windows 10. It looks like the software works on Windows 10* but the problem is then the serial port. You may be able to use a USB to serial adapter, one that uses a chipset supported by Windows 10. I did something similar when I was using an LDT HSI-88 S88 feedback bus which had a serial cable with my Windows 8 laptop with USB but no serial port. But in the end it might be easier to set up a dual boot machine, or if you value your time over money, buy a new USB version of the Massoth PC module which works with Windows 10.

All this may be a moot point if your green XLS is not reprogrammable anyway which no-one has answered yet.

* according to this thread from 2017 55045 software - G Scale Central but you need V6 of the LGB software