Massoth XLS Decoder Causing Flickering Loco Lights in DC/Analog Power Only?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Massoth Decoder Experts - I recently installed an XLS decoder into an LGB 2156 Santa Fe Alco Diesel locomotive and it operates great in DCC power. But in DC/Analog power, the headlights/taillights flicker/pulsate when operating. I've installed several Massoth XLS decoders in other LGB locomotives and never had this lighting issue occur. I've checked all the CV settings to ensure I do not have any settings to cause this DC power flickering of the lights, e.g., no pulse settings, etc. And I'm not using any of the A1 - A8 connectors on the decoder, only the headlight, cab light, and taillight connectors. I've reduced the lights dimming value to 5 volts to accommodate the existing 5 volts installed in the LGB 2156. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to stop the lights from flickering/pulsing while operating in DC/Analog power? If not, I'm thinking of doing a decoder reset and set the CVs again for 5 volt lighting.

Many thanks!

P.S. Not that it should make any difference, but I'm testing the loco with DC/Analog power on Massoth Roller Wheels.........that's what I always use for decoder installation testing since I don't have a DC powered layout.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Does it still happen if you run quite fast?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Folks - In response to your questions: It's definitely straight DC/Analog power, not PWC; and yes, the lights still puslate at higher speed. I've got the locomotive now posted on eBay for sale and I'm hoping that someone will buy it that runs DCC. Otherwise, I don't feel comfortable selling it with the puslating/flickering lights to someone running DC/Analog power. If I can't find a CV setting solution, I'll do a decoder reset and see what happens.

P.S. Not that it should make any difference, but I'm testing the loco with DC/Analog power on Massoth Roller Wheels.........that's what I always use for decoder installation testing since I don't have a DC powered layout.

P.S. 2. Well, I realize the problem must be use of the Roller Wheels that cause the pulsing of the lights, even though I also used the stationary units under the loco's slider wheels. This conclusion comes from testing the loco this morning on my new outdoor layout using DC power through a 6 amp transformer. She works great there without the pulsing lights. Lesson-learned: Always test the DC powered functionality after I install a DCC/DC decoder on a regular DC powered layout, not just test on the Massoth Roller Wheels! Problem solved!

Last edited: