Massoth S decoder version?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, having fun uploading a sound file to a Massoth S. I can read all cv's ok, but can't get the firmware or sound to take. On reading cv7, its reporting back as version 0.7 - this doesn't sound right. Decoder is brand new and arrived this week.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
CV's 15 and 16 - Programming Lock, perhaps?
CV 255 'decoder type'
All three should be '145' for an S decoder..

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
CV15 and 16 show on the list as value 7, and cv255 shows as 15...

In fact, I'm getting most of the CV's showing value 7...

Last edited:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
CV15 and 16 show on the list as value 7, and cv255 shows as 15...

In fact, I'm getting most of the CV's showing value 7...

??What are you reading this with??

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
How are you programming the S decoder? Is it installed in a loco and connected to the track power, or via SUSI, or is it not installed in a loco but connected directly to the programming track outlet on your command station? You have to be careful not to conflict with the same numbered CVs on the motor decoder, but there are ways around this depending on your answer to the first question. Cheers Dave

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Andy is using a Massoth PC module, and the service tool software..

I have a 'new' S decoder here, and am about to see if there are the 'universal steam' sounds in it..
To me, this looks like some decoders have been sent out without an image at all??

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
So if Andy is using the Massoth PC module and their software, why is he getting weird results? And funny enough, the Massoth decoder I am struggling with was giving me weird results until I went to register mode... getting a lot of 7's and 255's...

I've never done a firmware load on a Massoth, are the firmware and the sound file separate files, or all in one?

Greg

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I've never done a firmware load on a Massoth, are the firmware and the sound file separate files, or all in one?

Two separate 'loads', Greg..

Also, some later soundfiles will only work with later firmware versions..

All a little 'clunky', compared with the tools form some of the other manufacturers..
Massoth have only just got to a point, where you can put your own sounds into a decoder.. - No, I have not tried it!

The S decoder I have here, was 'universal electric'.. Appeared to have a 'fault', as I needed to give it (out of the box) 14-15 volts, analogue, before it did anything..
Probably fooling myself, as no motor, just power to S decoder, so no load sensing. Also, using a bench PSU so 'flat' DC, as opposed to chopped PWM supply.

My PC module, and software, see's my decoder fine..

Now Greg, a question for you..
What LGB/Massoth US diesel sound to use in a USA Trains GP38?
I am thinking the SD40??
PhilP.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
The GP38 used an emd 645, and so did the SD40 and the SD40-2, different horsepower outputs but basically the same motor, so yes, that would seem to be a good pick.

The USA Trains loco is presented as an SD40-2... but I'm not an expert on the exterior details and fidelity to prototype, and would imagine the motor sounds very similar.

(by the way, still fighting with that eMotion S unit, cannot get the autochuff to stop without disabling the chuff input)

Greg