Massoth Pulsed Smoke Unit in LGB Thusis

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
I have now installed a Massoth High Performance 19V pulsed smoke unit in the LGB Thusis steam locomotive and are experincing an issue with the synchronicity between the sound chuffs and the steam blows. When I start to run the locomotive it seems random if the sound and steam are in perfect synchronicity or not. When not in synchronicity the sound and steam is off in perfect disharmony, which means: chuff - 1/2 rotation of the wheels - steam - 1/2 rotation of the wheels - chuff - 1/2 rotation of the wheels - steam ......
The chuffs are always correct watching the wheel orientation, it's the steam that can start off at the wrong impulse from the pulse generator.

Connection is as follows:
- Red and black wire connected to F2 on the LGB driving decoder (polarity observed and connected correctly according to Massoth information)
- Pulse signal cable (Taktgeber in German) removed from LGB sound decoder and connected to the smoke unit.
- Pulse signal cable from the smoke unit connected to the LGB sound decoder
CV56=25 (to set 19V on the F2)
- No SUSI connection

I then had 1 steam sound chuff and 2 steam blows for each full rotation of the wheels. That is strange since I should get 2 chuffs for each rotation. So I set CV54=74, which gives load control+load dependent sound+4 chuffs per wheel rotation. But actually I only get 2 chuffs.

Does anyone have an idea what is causing this to happen and why it is random? The smoke unit works perfect apart from this issue.

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
I sent an e-mail to Massoth describing this problem and the prompt reply from Peter Ting is that the Pulse smoke generator has a bug and needs to be shipped to Germany in order to have the issue rectified. The Massoth Art. no. is 8412401.

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
If anyone is interested in how the Massoth Pulsed Smoke Unit can be made to be load dependent in the Thusis locomotive, I have asked Massoth about that as well.

The default sound setting in the Thusis locomotive is load-dependent and the connection for the smoke generator described in the first post will not provide load-dependency, which means that when the loco is coasting downhill or slowing down there will be no chuff-sound but the smoke will pulse.

So I asked Massoth if the connection shown in the attached sketch would give me load-dependent smoke as well, and the feedback was that - yes, it will :clap:. The numbers in red are article numbers of cables available from Massoth. SUSI-bus will not be active, so no programming will be available. I will try this out when the smoke unit is returned from Massoth debugged.

f22fcf99cbc8454ca981e1017ccfbdb5.gif