Massoth Pulsed Smoke Unit in a PIKO BR218 - fan not operating

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
I have fitted a Pulsed Smoke Unit in a Piko BR218. It is the 5v unit and I have regulated the voltage to it using the Massoth emotion 6v Regulator. I have set it up with Pulse Generator simulation. It does produce smoke but the small fan does not operate at all. DIP switches are set correctly 1 ON 2 ON although this is not specified when in diesel mode. Decoder is the Massoth XLS and I have set CV114 =30 as instructed. I assume that the rest of the functionality is automatic. I am switching the power to the smoke unit via relay driven from the decoder as I was concerned about the current the unit required and the ability of the decoder output.

I have not connected the 2 wire BUS or the Pulse output cables. Manual does not say to do this and as I have not fitted an external Pulse generator there should be no need to connect the pulse output to anything. I was rather thinking that the small fan motor would change speed to push the smoke out of the exhaust?

Anyone any experience of using this unit and can give me any tips?

Martin

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,
Have no experience in installing these ones, but have 19V high performance unit ready for installation and have been through the manual (which does not impress me at all, it is confusing).
From what I understand you have made the hook up according to chapter 2.1 (illustration #2) in the manual. This will only provide a steady smoke generation for a Diesel locomotive as described in the manual.

If you want pulsed smoke output and have no pulse generator you should probably make the connection as described in chap. 2.3 (illustration #4), which will give you a simulated pulse generation. In this case you need to connect the pulse wire from the smoke generator (called "Takt" in the illustration) to the XLS A3 output. Please be aware of the note in the manual about the correct wire order, and the insulation of the one wire that won't be used. Program CV114=30 (also described in chapter 8.5 in the XLS manual).

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Thanks for the reply. Been thinking about it further and i want to test that the A3 output is doing something. Since this a normal output that you could attach a lamp to i propose to connect an LED (with suitable resistor) to it and see if there is any pulse.
With the unit you get an English translation but it vaies from the version on line.

http://www.massoth.com/dlbereich/da...ill try it in the morning. Thanks Martin

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Can you describe fully how you have connected it...i.e....

red wire to decoder +
black wire to A1

or draw a diagram?

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
I would happily send the very nice drawing I have done but I do not seem to have the ability to attach a file - no paperclip. :-( Any suggestions on that would be helpful also.

I have tried this morning simply powering the smoke unit from 5v with no other wires attached and would have expected the fan to run but alas no.

Any one have experience of either the 5V or 19v units and just applying power to the unit; does the fan run?
I also attached an LED to F3(A3) of the XLS decoder and find that it does not light as I would expect if it was sending pulses to the smoke unit. Email to Massoth coming up I think.

Martin

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would expect the fan to run also with only the power connected - thats how the old 19v version behaves.

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
I don't know if it is appropriate to ask this here but I was contemplating one of these units for my Piko BR218 but I always favour ESU Loksound XL decoders.
Does anyone know whether this will work satisfactorily with ESU, and if so, do I get the 5V or 19v version ? Any wiring tipo would be appreciated (don't want much, do I !)

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Tony,

Good to here from you.

Sorry no experience of ESU but a quick read of the spec of the ESU Loksound XL reads well with the capacitors on board to deal with momentary breaks in power.

The 19v unit would be the most sensible unit to use because of the lower current and no requirement to regulate the voltage. I think doing it again i would go along the 19v route.

Have you worked out how to connect the smoke unit so it emits smoke from both exhaust outlets? I used some items i bought from Germany together with the exhaust extensions that the BR218 haa fitted in service. Not cheap i have to say but looking at what you get i think making something would be quite difficult unless you have a workshop with some fairly fancy kit. Have alook on their website. Paid with paypal and it arrives quickly. Did no go for rhe snow plough!!

http://www.modellklempnerei.de/index.php?cPath=23&store_id=s4sde0u9ae99rd5vehcnbfkpq5 < Link To http://www.modellklempner...e0u9ae99rd5vehcnbfkpq5

I have spruced up the cabs painting the control panels, drivers seats and adding LEDs to the desk. I also added cab lights, painted the buffers, coupling and the cables each side of the buffer beam. Wiring is all staight forward but used LEDs wverywhere.

I believe my smoke unit has a problem so it will have to go back:(
I was hoping to get the same result as the video on the Massoth site.
I will post some pictures when i get it working.

If you need any wiring help come back to me.

Martin

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
55326c4c6b2445b8a641af2e7043534e.jpg
Thanks for the link.
The item is out of stock at the moment, but It may be possible to make plastic ones, afterall the chineys on locos are plastic.
The other unit is very expensive at 49 euros and you may be able to take the guts out of one of these plugs (photo attached) and use that (I will try and let you know).
Alternatively I may just buy 2 x 19V smoke units and install them !
I have also found that you can quite easily make some cab steps from Plasticard (careful they do not foul the bogies on sharp curves) and brake hoses as well.
Hmm, that gives me an idea for a project.....

MartinP

Registered
15 Jun 2011
UK
Best answers
Tony,

Looks like a plan, it is about the same shape.
I think the advantage of the item from Germany is that it is shaped correctly so that you get the same flow of smoke out of each exhaust. Unfortunately, at this point I cannot completely comment on this because of the little problem I have with the smoke unit.
Not sure fitting two smokers will work as getting them both in could be a problem as they would have to go end on to each other to get them under the outlets but it could work. By the time you have done that the item from the guys in Germany would be cheaper I think.

I was looking at trying to fit air hoses to the buffer beams also. Steps also but as you said getting them so they do not get knocked could be interesting especially if you have to negotiate R1s!!

Have you looked at these videos on You Tube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewi1... those that come with the XLS. Martin:)

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
The XL3.5 is a unit I will always recommend.
The V4 is better BUT requires more programming but ESU units allow the lights to be dimmed, or to go on or off gradually, flash, strobe, or whatever.
It is easy to add your own sounds to the 3.5, but the V4 is more complicated _ I need to speak to those nice people at South West Digital to ask them how to do it.
There is no SUSI on the ESU so the pulsed unit would not be appropriate.
I am starting to make some steps and brake hoses. I will try two first and see how I get on

Tony