Massoth LS Sound Decoder Problem

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've loaded the Stainz Richter sound file twice into a Massoth LS DCC sound decoder and still get the same problem. The F2 bell and F3 American Whistle sounds activate when I start the test stand loco from speed steps 0 - 9, the bell rings at speed step 2 and the whistle at speed step 3. The converse occurs when I go back down the speed steps, the whistle activates at speed step 3 and the bell at speed step 2. I can't figure out how to stop this from happening. I changed CV188 and CV189 from the default 12 to 1 (Euro whistle only) but that didn't solve the issue. Last year I had a similar problem with another sound file with the whistle activating in addition to the starting whistle and found that CV192 was set to 1.......when I changed it to 0 the problem was solved. There seemed to be a problem with CV190-192 with the reed switch assignments.

I sent an email to the Massoth Hotline who recommended I verify all the MST, sound file and decoder versions are up to date, and they are. Can anyone provide a solution to stop the bell and whistle from activating?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
I've loaded the Stainz Richter sound file twice into a Massoth LS DCC sound decoder and still get the same problem. The F2 bell and F3 American Whistle sounds activate when I start the test stand loco from speed steps 0 - 9, the bell rings at speed step 2 and the whistle at speed step 3. The converse occurs when I go back down the speed steps, the whistle activates at speed step 3 and the bell at speed step 2. I can't figure out how to stop this from happening. I changed CV188 and CV189 from the default 12 to 1 (Euro whistle only) but that didn't solve the issue. Last year I had a similar problem with another sound file with the whistle activating in addition to the starting whistle and found that CV192 was set to 1.......when I changed it to 0 the problem was solved. There seemed to be a problem with CV190-192 with the reed switch assignments.

I sent an email to the Massoth Hotline who recommended I verify all the MST, sound file and decoder versions are up to date, and they are. Can anyone provide a solution to stop the bell and whistle from activating?
I have loaded the Stainz sound file from the MST using my Massoth PC Programming Module and it works fine. So, the Stainz Wolfgang Richter sound file has a defect in it which I've reported to the Massoth Hotline.

Case closed!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
No offense to Massoth, but this is the kind of thing that makes me shy away from Massoth.

So, I would want to know if it was the sound file programming, or the CV's...

I guess, if it was me doing what you are doing is I would save all the CV settings on the file that works, and then load the sound file that does not work, and slap those CV's to it.

In my limited expertiese, i would reason that I could then isolate the "normal" CV settings from a goofy sound file.

Greg

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
No offense to Massoth, but this is the kind of thing that makes me shy away from Massoth.

So, I would want to know if it was the sound file programming, or the CV's...

I guess, if it was me doing what you are doing is I would save all the CV settings on the file that works, and then load the sound file that does not work, and slap those CV's to it.

In my limited expertiese, i would reason that I could then isolate the "normal" CV settings from a goofy sound file.

Greg
Greg - That's an interesting approach and I would do it if I had the time and motivation. But I have a lot of other customers' LGB locomotives to work on so I'm just going to use the regular Stainz sound file......works great, just doesn't have the "Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas" sound on it like the special Stainz Richter does.

I did send a read out of all the CVs from the defective sounding Stainz Richter file to Frank Noller at the Massoth Hotline. He responded that he'd test the Richter sound file and look at my CV read out and get back to me. I'll let everyone know what his conclusions are about the file.