Massoth L with Power Cap issues?

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Just working on a model that had a decoder meltdown... The Massoth L is well and truly cooked... The model had a S decoder and a stay alive power cap unit fitted as well all by Massoth. A new L has been fitted and connected up to the existing S and all was working correctly. I've since connected the stay alive back in, but it doesn't seem to do anything? Loco looses power as soon as its lifted off the rails. The unit is connected to dec+, dec- and Aux5. I've also set up Aux 5 in the service tool for the L as the power storage option. Analogue has also been disabled - am I missing anything else? Could the stay alive have cooked as well?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm seem to remember that a Switch can be wired in that has a Prog and Run setting to it. Could that be the issue?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds a little like it..

How long on-track? - It will take time for the buffer to charge.
Do you see a change in current taken from the track? - This will be a small drop, once the buffer is charged.

andyspencer

Registered
30 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
Country flag
There's no switch in this installation but that does sound familiar from another job I've done.

Will check how long I leave it on the rails and see if there is a difference in current draw :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A 'fast and dirty' test (to see if anything in the buffer)..

Turn ON analogue.. Sit loco on track for a few minutes (possibly run it a short distance). Stop loco, then hit STOP on your Navi.
If it runs off, then the buffer is storing power, if not either configuration is wrong, or buffer is a duffer! :(:giggle::giggle: