Massoth eMotionL and LGB 55021

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
I replaced an LGB 55021 with a Massoth EmotionL in a single motor tender. The wiring is identical. It seems the Massoth has more CV settings and functionality.

I am using MTS III as the central station. I programmed the CVs using Herr Schwartz's Stellwerk software. I have used that before to program other decoders and devices.

With the Massoth installed, the tender will only respond to Forward. The reverse does not work.

It is possible I damaged the unit when I first installed it. I had a electrical short from White to Yellow. I corrected the short. I am hoping the protective circuity saved it.

Before I order another one, I wanted to ask if anyone knows of a particular setting I should have must be set to enable reverse?

61UCRCKHfqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Attachments

• CV Values.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It is possible I damaged the unit when I first installed it. I had a electrical short from White to Yellow. I corrected the short. I am hoping the protective circuity saved it.
Hello John,
I fear you will have blown one of the output transistors? - This would give you only one direction of travel.. :(

Contact Massoth, then send it back for repair. - If you can stand the expense, then get a replacement, as I doubt you would get the unit back this year?

PhilP.

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP,

Thanks.

That saves me alot of wasted time. Much appreciated.

John

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If white and yellow are one motor and one track lead, yes, usually instant death for output transistors.

That's the cardinal rule of DCC installations, never get the track and motor leads shorted together.

Sure sounds like it.

Greg

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Best answers
Country flag
If white and yellow are one motor and one track lead, yes, usually instant death for output transistors.

That's the cardinal rule of DCC installations, never get the track and motor leads shorted together.

Sure sounds like it.

Greg

Its not like I tried to do that.

When fitting the decoder into the older LGBs, the gear truck only has three wiring posts; brown, white, and green. To connect the yellow wire, you have to trim down the contact on the motor, hack away some plastic in the truck housing, and solder the wire.

It is a tight space and tricky to keep space between Yellow and White.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Too late now, but I always try newly fitted locos on programming track first, then if there is a short no damage is done, you just get programming errors. Once you can program correctly it is safe(r) to try on powered track.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Clearly you did not want to do that.

I just wanted to reinforce to everyone reading this that if you do anything to prepare for an installation is make double, triple sure that the 2 track pickups and 2 motor leads are all independent of each other, to the level of being almost paranoid.

It's the #1 destroyer of decoders. If I had a dollar for every time this has happened, I could retire very well. So many times I have told people to buy a $10 meter and really test it out, and people won't do it, but they will blow up a $200 decoder.

Tough lesson to learn, and I am sorry it happened to you, it has happened to me, on the few times I let my guard down... zap!

Greg

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
As well as metering connectoins for shorts, I also have a 30 ohm resistor in series with my track lead to minimize current to a decoder when first turning on power.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
I learned my lesson after blowing 2 decoders. My wiring was right but the LGB wiring was crossed. I was lucky as a chap in our model railway club mended them for me.