Massoth Decoder Load Control

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I may just at that, but I have no "CVs" to adjust or alter it with, so it just sits there, as with most settings.

Just because there IS a CV to fiddle with.. You DON'T have to fiddle with it.. ;):nerd::nod:

There is a setting you can adjust on the Deltang receiver/controllers, but it is 'off' by default, and only really the equivalent of CV3 (start voltage).
PWM frequency can also have an affect, but this then opens up yet another can of worms..

If you do not consider it 'broken', then no-need to fiddle to 'fix' it. :)

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Indeed. To be fair I would guess 90% or more of DCC users have no need for or don't want to fiddle with such settings.
This thread is not for them.
I recently fitted a Massoth LS decoder in a new loco, plugged it in (10 pin socket), used all the default settings apart from changing the address and off it went.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
So it looks like CVs 60 and 61 are BEMF related, and perhapsCV63...

I found a long thread on setting these parameters, where a so-called expert could not get things set right, and also steadfastly refused to work with cv63.....

Not sure it is helpful on how to make things better, but it does give some experience with someone trying to set the parameters:

(warning, Massoth foamers might not like this thread)

Greg
Thanks Greg. I had a look at that thread but baled out when it started to get a bit angry, which seems to have been the default setting on mylargescale at that time! :)

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, that was unfortunate, but there are people who take guesses and present them as facts. This BEMF topic is an interesting one, not only for the physics of it, but then the translation of the controls to various decoders. (In that thread, I'm still convinced there was something wrong with the installation or motor itself, a CV2 setting of 20 is just not typical, especially on an LGB product, which normally has a very low current motor, normally the type that works very well with BEMF)

I opine that Massoth has put their personal "Spin" on BEMF setting, and in some ways, it can make the adjustments more suited to what they want to accomplish, but some of the adjustments are still a bit confusing.

The good news is you really only have to play with 2 or 3 CV's which do not seem to have a huge amount of interaction. In my opinion, "full control" of the 3 BEMF parameters independently is a boon and a bane, you have all control available, but it may be more difficult for most to "tune" things to what you want.

Best, Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have to admit after following this thread (as I do with most technical threads), I haven't a clue what it really means, and how I would manage the output, so really pleased I haven't gone down the DCC route, and threads like these that show how complex and difficult the subject can be to understand (even by experienced users) does not pursued me to move to DCC.
To be honest most of us get by with just changing CV1 the Loco Unique ID. I have messed with Max Speed and tend to swop out Inertia. That is it.

There does appear to be a sub-hobby of faffing around with DCC and I admire the knowledge and dedication of those that can be bothered with it. Just not for me.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
To be honest most of us get by with just changing CV1 the Loco Unique ID. I have messed with Max Speed and tend to swop out Inertia. That is it.
Jon, part of the point of my post was that besides myself being confused, any newbie to G Gauge and DCC specifically, may see these extremely complicated threads and be easily put off.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hence my comment..

We (probably) all have a car with an Engine Management system.. But I doubt any of us fiddle with the programming! :eek::shake::shake::shake:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, part of the point of my post was that besides myself being confused, any newbie to G Gauge and DCC specifically, may see these extremely complicated threads and be easily put off.
True but there will also be those that wish to reflect many of the intricacies of DCC, I reckon the title of this thread on its own would be enough to put most of us off and yes much of what was said in this thread glazed my eyes over big time.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I take your point Jimmy, we do need to be careful about making a simple subject more complicated than it needs to be. However there should be somewhere we can discuss these kind of topics when "RTFM" has led the OP nowhere. Maybe we need an "advanced DCC topics" thread although how one would distinguish I don't know, as one person's advanced would be another's "simples". Perhaps I should have started the thread with "warning: esoteric content follows..." but I suspect that was clear from post #1 as dunnyrail dunnyrail said! :) I contribute to another forum (gardenrails.org) which has many threads about advanced machine tooling which completely pass me by, but I'm sure others benefit and rather than putting me off it reassures me that should I want to know more about that topic there are experts on there who really know their stuff.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I would think that people that are happy just setting loco id and running would just ignore an advanced topic if they were not interested.

Also I disagree about newbies being discouraged. Yes, maybe someone "new" at 70 years plus might be discouraged, but the incoming NEW people to the hobby are well in tune with technology and don't mind tweaking.

And I get that Jon and Jimmy say "this level of complexity is not for me"... no problem, but I would stop short of posting in the thread to state they don't like it. I don't do scratch building, but I don't come onto a scratch building thread and talk down scratch building.

Live and let live.

Greg

p.s. set Cv63 to 2 pi R squared and you will be fine :giggle: