Massoth Dcc

Greyfox

Registered
28 Jun 2019
Farnham
Best answers
Hi am new to Dcc and have read lots on massoth system which I now have but am struggling to get it to work using Navigater handset .instructions seem ok until I try to put them in to
Place .on Navigator.when I do get train to work I seem to push wron button and lose any settings I have .because it seems the three buttons on Top seem to all do the same thing also it says you can’t program unless on program track .well I have a separate program track but I can’t get anything to work on it as I don’t know how to actually get program track to recognise the navigator.instructions seem clear as mud .is there any one Near Farnham that could show me how to work this system thanks paul

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi am new to Dcc and have read lots on massoth system which I now have but am struggling to get it to work using Navigater handset .instructions seem ok until I try to put them in to
Place .on Navigator.when I do get train to work I seem to push wron button and lose any settings I have .because it seems the three buttons on Top seem to all do the same thing also it says you can’t program unless on program track .well I have a separate program track but I can’t get anything to work on it as I don’t know how to actually get program track to recognise the navigator.instructions seem clear as mud .is there any one Near Farnham that could show me how to work this system thanks paul
I was expecting that someone would have answered you by now, hm not to worry will try to give you something of a start to get you going.

One of the trickiest things to get used to is the changing Menu Bar, that is the darkened line at the bottom of the display, this changes depending on what you have been doing.

I found that I kept getting locked into Consisting which is a pain to get out of.

Switching off by holding the bottom ‘F’ for a few seconds and switching back on will loose that.

Pressing and holding the ‘F’ again for a second or two will switch you back on.

If you have a screen with a Loco crossed out that means the Loco is not recognised, perhaps you do not have it or is somehow not picking up power?

On that bottom line you should have 2 down facing arrows to the left and MENU shown.

Now some understanding the blue buttons M1 M2 M3 react with the Menu bar options.

As you press the very left one you should start to scroll through the Locomotives that you have or are available, note that the middle button changed to an Up arrow.

I am now struggling a little as the Dimax is not connected to my system (that is in my shed and I am in the house) and some of what I am trying to say will not be available. But I hope that you have a bit of a start if understanding now.

Reactions: 1 user

Greyfox

Registered
28 Jun 2019
Farnham
Best answers
I was expecting that someone would have answered you by now, hm not to worry will try to give you something of a start to get you going.

One of the trickiest things to get used to is the changing Menu Bar, that is the darkened line at the bottom of the display, this changes depending on what you have been doing.

I found that I kept getting locked into Consisting which is a pain to get out of.

Switching off by holding the bottom ‘F’ for a few seconds and switching back on will loose that.

If you have a screen with a Loco crossed out that means the Loco is not recognised, perhaps you do not have it or is somehow not picking up power?

On that bottom line you should have 2 down facing arrows to the left and MENU shown.

Now some understanding the blue buttons M1 M2 M3 react with the Menu bar options.

As you press the very left one you should start to scroll through the Locomotives that you have or are available, note that the middle button changed to an Up arrow.

I am now struggling a little as the Dimax is not connected to my system (that is in my shed and I am in the house) and some of what I am trying to say will not be available. But I hope that you have a bit of a start if understanding now.
Thank you this is a good start

Greyfox

Registered
28 Jun 2019
Farnham
Best answers
Thank you this is a good start and very helpful

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you this is a good start and very helpful
Some more help for you.

Note I have used the best symbols I can for ^ Up arrow and ¥ Down arrow.

When you turn the navi on you should see a screen with the menu bar as:-

2FU¥ Loco #C Menu
M1 M2 M3

As I said earlier M2 will cause this to change to
¥ ^ OK
M1 M2 M3

Now type in the Loco’s DCC Number and press OK.

You should see that number to the right and a Picture of the Loco.

These Pictures can be changed.

Press and hold 2 with the selected Loco you wish to change.

Menu bar will change to be
LocoX #^ OK
M1. M2. M3

Speedsteps will be shown, pressing Up arrow will scroll through the options, but you probably do not wish to mix with that just yet.

So press M3 (OK) will get you past that and any other option.

Next is Function, again pass this with M3

Now you see Picture with a Number. This allows you to select the correct image for your Loco, there are a lot. Scrolling Up M2 or Down M3 will take you through them to get to the one you want.

I had thought that the Pictures were at the back of the manual, but perhaps not. It is possible to just key in the number of the selected Picture, much quicker than scrolling through.

When you have selected the right picture press M3 (OK)

Now you can name the Loco, this is a tedious up and down arrow job (M1 M2) to select the letters and symbols or even space. Pressing the Right or Left button below the Speed Knob will take you to the next space for a letter or even back for alterations.

Ok will prompt you to save the Config, be slow here and use the OK (M2), cant tell you how many times I have hit M3 and saved as a TEMPorary config! This means when you turn off the system all that hard work will have been lost.

I think that this and some more reading of the Manual as you get to understand this little lot and you should be on your way. Though please do not hesitate to ask about a specific. Best of luck.

Greyfox

Registered
28 Jun 2019
Farnham
Best answers

Hi I have tried and I just get trains work
But jus get a x on the train pic and can’t get it to change .if I could find out how to program I might get somewhere but it say I have to use program track which I have set up but when I put a Train on the program track is not found as if I should somehow get navigator to read train on track .but how to do this is a mystery

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I have tried and I just get trains work
But jus get a x on the train pic and can’t get it to change .if I could find out how to program I might get somewhere but it say I have to use program track which I have set up but when I put a Train on the program track is not found as if I should somehow get navigator to read train on track .but how to do this is a mystery
Are your locomotives set to 3 default unchanged from when you bought them? If so then you have enough info above on how to drive them. I have also shown you how to get the Picture for your loco. You do not need the Programming Track to change the Picture, do as I said in the last post when loco is on the running track.

So moving on.

Program on Programming Track.

At the rear of your Base Unit you should have a plug for 6 wires. 2 will go to your track the other 2 for your Programming Track. For now just connect this to a length of track, just over the length of a loco will be fine.

Now with your Dimax press M3 Menu, this will take you to MAIN MENU.
Press Down Arrow M1 ¥ to Decoder Progr, now hit M2 OK this brings you to DECODER PROGR.

Press Down Arrow M1 ¥ you should see “CV Read + Prog now press M2 OK, cursor > will move to CV-Nr.: Press button 1 and it will appear next to this as 0001.

Now press M2 OK, cursor > will move down to Value: Type say 3 for the Loco number and it will put that next to the Value and the line below Bit will change, do not worry about that just now.

So look carefully at the Menu Bar it will be this:-
CV> OK Train
M1 M2 M3

Do not press anything more just yet, what can happen here is:-

M1 will read the CV already existing for your input if 3, so it is likely to be 3 if no changes have been made.

M2 will change the CV to whatever you have input, be sure that you know what you are changing here. For the moment I would not go beyond CV 1.

When either of these have been pressed the loco will give a few short hops, this indicates that the CV has been read (M1) or changed (M2)

The bottom screen changes again to be

- - - OK Train
M1 M2 M3

At any time in this process you can press Train M3 where it appears to get back to the start screen. M2 OK will put you back to:-
CV> OK Train
M1 M2 M3

I would suggest that you practice reading the CV on the same loco till you are comfortable with this process. Then perhaps change CV 1 from default 3 to say 4. Check as shown above that it has changed. Then put it in the running track and drive it. After this put it back on the Prog Track and change the CV 1 back to 3. Once you are happy with that process go back to my previous post and change the Picture and marvel when you see it on the screen when you key in the number to drive it. This should all give you some confidence.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag

Greyfox - Do you still have any questions about using your Massoth Navigator. I use both the Massoth DCC system and the Piko DCC system made by Massoth. Would be happy to respond to any of your questions. It took me a while to get the "hang" of using the system, part of the issue is the German to English Owner's Manual isn't all that user friendly.
Tom

Greyfox

Registered
28 Jun 2019
Farnham
Best answers
Greyfox - Do you still have any questions about using your Massoth Navigator. I use both the Massoth DCC system and the Piko DCC system made by Massoth. Would be happy to respond to any of your questions. It took me a while to get the "hang" of using the system, part of the issue is the German to English Owner's Manual isn't all that user friendly.
Tom
Hi Tom yes I have had problems with power and track now trains go without problems .apart from I have put the Rc init outside on roof .as I don’t get good signal from navigator.trains start but seem to keep going or stop controller does not work properly it is a signal problem I think my massoth unit it about 50 ft from track and so I purchased a Rc navigator but it’s a bit hit and miss .i gone from a cheap system to massoth and it’s a nightmare I got it working so so but every time I pick a train from menu I get a cross on train and have to switch navigator off and on a lot as it is a nightmare beginning to think there must be a better system only had this a bout a year and the winter was in the way most of the time .sorry for all the problems paul

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tom yes I have had problems with power and track now trains go without problems .apart from I have put the Rc init outside on roof .as I don’t get good signal from navigator.trains start but seem to keep going or stop controller does not work properly it is a signal problem I think my massoth unit it about 50 ft from track and so I purchased a Rc navigator but it’s a bit hit and miss .i gone from a cheap system to massoth and it’s a nightmare I got it working so so but every time I pick a train from menu I get a cross on train and have to switch navigator off and on a lot as it is a nightmare beginning to think there must be a better system only had this a bout a year and the winter was in the way most of the time .sorry for all the problems paul

Paul - The Massoth Navigator works great in operating DCC locos once you master the various processes. It would be easier if we communicate directly by email. I can then send you the steps how to enter each loco into your Navigator which also then enters it into your Central Stations data. If you don't have each loco properly entered into your system, then when you try to operate a specific loco, things will act up, including if your Navigator operates a loco in 14 speed steps but the Central Station shows it at 28 speed steps, or visa versa. Each photo will provide some instructions. So, please send me an email to my email address below and I'll send the info to you. By the way, is your Central Station a Massoth, Piko or LGB MTS III? Note, all LGB MTS I, II and III can only use 14 speed steps, but MTS III can use 28 speed steps if you use a Massoth Navigator with it.
Tom White: OldDominionRailways@gmail.com

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Good on you, Tom! :clap::clap::clap:

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
Best answers
Country flag
I believe that Greyfox's issues using his Massoth Navigator have been resolved......maybe he'll post something shortly. Also his Massoth Receiver was missing the antenna which was then installed and works well now. About five years ago I also had challenges learning and applying the various protocols needed to use the Massoth Navigator, but once you master it, works like a charm.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one Tom. It is a funny world as one learns any new process. Firstly it seems difficult and tiresome but then develops into an integral part of the hobby. Great to have a 'buddy' to learn from - the antenna seems so obvious but only if you know it should be there.