Massoth 8151601 Powercap Micro

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Just asking if anyone has installed one of these in a Stainz, and if so where did you "hide" the bits,

Can they replace the coal bunker weights for example?

Looking to an upgrade from the older Massoth 8151001, which occupies a large chunk of the cab, but I also would like to install a firebox flicker unit and a second crew member as well, so don't want to be filling the cab with the upgrade if I can avoid it.

Reactions: 1 user

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Well I have taken the plunge and the part are on order, so we'll see how this works out.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just asking if anyone has installed one of these in a Stainz, and if so where did you "hide" the bits,

Can they replace the coal bunker weights for example?

Looking to an upgrade from the older Massoth 8151001, which occupies a large chunk of the cab, but I also would like to install a firebox flicker unit and a second crew member as well, so don't want to be filling the cab with the upgrade if I can avoid it.
I use either a Massoth LS DCC Sound Decoder or an ESU LokSound 5L DCC Sound Decoder in the Stainz conversions I do fitted into the boiler. I've only installed the Massoth Micro PowerCap in a couple of the conversions requested by the customer and I place them in the locomotive's front coal and water compartments......tight fit. If your loco has weights in the compartments, you'll need to reconfigure them for fitment into the boiler or other hidden spots. Getting an LED Module into the firebox is nearly impossible unless your loco version has the larger firebox. I also place 1 40mm speaker face down on the right inside of the cab, but have on occassion placed it into the larger fireboxes. See my posting about the DCC sound conversion I just completed on an LGB 2015D and motorized tender which is the same size as a Stainz.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The Stainz is now a bag of bits, but the upside is the micro buffer gives approx 25 seconds of power, with the lights and sound on.

P1030801.JPG

Yes it's another dodgy photographic skills shot, but you have to admit it illustrates the point quite well.

Just got to sort out the new wiring now, all colour coded, lights, red (rear) green (cab) blue (front) white (firebox flicker) orange (smoke unit) speaker is as you were black.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Now almost back together, well body and chassis to reunite, just awaiting delivery of the 24v smoke unit, then see if there are any CV adjustments then done.

Got the micro buffer bits installed in the boiler/firebox, the "battery bits", either side of the firebox, and the "control bit" in the dome.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The bits are in and done, after I had to replace the boiler shell I damaged with a soldering iron (don't ask)

P1030808.JPGP1030809.JPG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
How has the install affected the weight (and therefore the haulage capacity) of the loco ?

The older versions before lead was eliminated from the ballast weighed around 1.8 kilos, the newer ones after 2008 weighed around 1.4 kilos.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
No weight was lost in the upgrade, now as for the bits added they are not that heavy, so I don't see it changing the balance too much.

No haulage test as of yet, but I have let her run on speed step 3, sound(s), smoke and lights on, and she came back into the shed approx a quarter of an hour after leaving the station.
Prior to fitting I would not of attempted that, even used to stall at full tilt.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ok managed a quickish haulage test...

P1030828.JPGP1030832.JPGP1030835.JPG

...normal running at speed step 9/10 out of 14, managed the five coach train no bother, only problem was with a slow speed step 3 of 4 where she lost grip on the curved climb, but after a re start and regained grip was off again.
The track hasn't been used for a couple of weeks, or cleaned, is overgrown with grass and is wet in places, so a bit of an severe test.

Last edited: